Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TWEED!

What's Hot

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Might be worth looking out for a Swart.

They come up used, and seem to go for good (i.e. good value) money.

My experience with them - they sound absolutely amazing gunned, so either play loud or with an attenuator.

Look lovely as well

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    More stuff to research!  Thanks chaps. 

Those Lazy Js seem as rare as hens teeth.  Certainly not much of a used market....  I guess people tend to hang onto them once they've got 'em.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    JerkMoans said:

Those Lazy Js seem as rare as hens teeth.  Certainly not much of a used market....  I guess people tend to hang onto them once they've got 'em.
    I've had mine for around 10 years.  It's a very early one, and was a bit cheaper back then.  In the long run it's probably saved me money as it's mostly cured my amp GAS.

It's a pity Chandlers have gone.  They normally had one in there that you could try out.

I don't know if you did want to try and meet up and try mine?
    crunchman said:
    I've had mine for around 10 years.  It's a very early one, and was a bit cheaper back then.  In the long run it's probably saved me money as it's mostly cured my amp GAS.

It's a pity Chandlers have gone.  They normally had one in there that you could try out.

I don't know if you did want to try and meet up and try mine?
    That's v kind - might just end up taking you up on that :grin: Where in the world are you?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    In Chiswick
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    JerkMoans said:
    Ahem….cough cough  ;)

*weeps with frustrated lust*

Fender Hot Rod?  Straight swap :D
    Haha, that's okay  =) nice offer though 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited October 2017
    JerkMoans said:

Yep. Had mine for 5 years now. I'll have to be in a real bad financial situation for me to sell it. I don't know what it is but it's got something that I love. Has to be wound up to get its best from if though. I fitted mine with an l pad that sits in the back. As well as the VVR fitted. That should take care of the volume issue  
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Have a look at this company...British and price wise quite sensible  http://www.riftamps.com/
    The GAS is strong in this one...

What about comparison between a Lazy J 20 and 40?  How much louder is the latter?  And does it still sound decent at domestic volume levels?  Asking for a friend :wink: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:

What about comparison between a Lazy J 20 and 40?  How much louder is the latter?  And does it still sound decent at domestic volume levels?  Asking for a friend :wink: 
    Calling @Gassage who has experience of both.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited October 2017
    Have a look at the range of Amps that Chris at Rift Amps makes. There are videos on his website. I own the Vibro 63, that he originally made for his own use, which is a really lovely Amp. I'm currently waiting for him to make me one of his Tweed 15's (SE3 Circuit), which I've asked to be made in a TV style Cabinet.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30923
    crunchman said:
    JerkMoans said:

Calling @Gassage who has experience of both.
    Big difference.

A 40 is very strident with a 4 band tone stack. It's like half of a HP Tweed Twin. One of the best pedal platforms ever.

A 20 is much more plug and play.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

...it's just that a J40 has come up on Gumtree, my fellow tone hounds....

I'm flat broke, my car needs fixing and I've a stack of gear to shift but I am sorely tempted just to spank my credit card and nab it...  Can always flip it if I don't like it (just like all the other clutter infesting my house :grin: )
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Chandlers is gone?! Bloody hell!
    clarkefan said:
    Chandlers is gone?! Bloody hell!

Yes Neil, WE'VE GOT A BLOODY VIDEO!

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    JerkMoans said:

I'm flat broke, my car needs fixing and I've a stack of gear to shift but I am sorely tempted just to spank my credit card and nab it...  Can always flip it if I don't like it (just like all the other clutter infesting my house :grin: )
    So, you played a 5w Victoria, loved it, so have decided to spank your credit card on an unheard 40w Lazy J40.    I look forward to your attenuator thread  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    uncledick said:
    Definitely put Cornell in the mix. Various versions of the Romany will cover your needs. Beautifully built with top drawer components too. 
    I have to disagree. Every other one of Den's amps are brilliant, but I think the Romany is a squishy mushy mess.

Plexi's are mind blowing, Voyagers great, the Vox -a-like is epic but the Romany is horrible compared to a Viccy or J20.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    JerkMoans said:

So, you played a 5w Victoria, loved it, so have decided to spank your credit card on an unheard 40w Lazy J40.    I look forward to your attenuator thread  ;)
    Or Tinnitus thread…..
    Hahaha!! Nah, getting carried away in the rush :grin:  a J40 is about a billion times more than I could ever use. Just got excited to see one actually available.  Need to tweak my medication, calm down a bit and patiently test my way through all the helpful suggestions above ;)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Or Tinnitus thread…..
    WHAT?!??
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer