Mystery click

What's Hot

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    RiftAmps said:
    My soldering station emits a clicking noise that certain guitars pick up if I get too close to it.
    hmm. but all the power is off in the house bar one amp and it's still at it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    JohnPerry said:
    m_c said:
    Anybody with an electric fence nearby?
    now this is not a bad shout and I had the same thought only this morning. The fence is, however, a good 100 yards away (surely too far?!) and anyway seemed to be off when I inspected it (having left the amp ticking away).

Also, it's been there ten years and I only started noticing this noise about a month ago
    If it's starting to short out i.e. some grass/bush has grown close enough, it's the spark of it shorting out that causes the problem. If you have an old portable AM/MW radio, tune it to 612KHz and have a listen. If you get a steady tick, you can use the radio to trace where the tick is the strongest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    Sounds live you've already eliminated a lot of the obvious culprits - recording near my laptop is the only source of interference I've ever encountered.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    edited October 2017
    m_c said:
    JohnPerry said:
    m_c said:
    now this is not a bad shout and I had the same thought only this morning. The fence is, however, a good 100 yards away (surely too far?!) and anyway seemed to be off when I inspected it (having left the amp ticking away).

Also, it's been there ten years and I only started noticing this noise about a month ago
    If it's starting to short out i.e. some grass/bush has grown close enough, it's the spark of it shorting out that causes the problem. If you have an old portable AM/MW radio, tune it to 612KHz and have a listen. If you get a steady tick, you can use the radio to trace where the tick is the strongest.

good call. will dig one out tomorrow

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Had the same problem until I realised I had left the metronome running.

At least it's not those voices in my head again though. that was getting a bit awkward.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    Also had the same problem - drove me nuts.
    Problem went away when I moved house  :)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    We had a click which we traced to a phone charger. Some models are designed to stop charging once the battery is full. They keep trying, and click every time they do.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    We had a click which we traced to a phone charger. Some models are designed to stop charging once the battery is full. They keep trying, and click every time they do.
    they still need electricity though. And I have turned it all off

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72429
    If it goes away when the guitar volume is turned down then it almost certainly is some sort of electromagnetic pulse being picked up by the guitar pickups. The usual culprits will be something with a timing circuit in, but not necessarily.

Does it change when you turn the guitar round? If so you may be able to pinpoint where it's coming from - usually the 'null point' will be when the pickups are facing directly towards (or directly away from) the source, although that's not always a certainty.

Do you have a burglar alarm, or a car alarm in a vehicle parked close by outside?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    I know you've already eliminated the wristwatch, but as @icbm has already pointed out anything with s timing circuit could be causing this. Digital clock in the room for instance. I can't wear a watch when I'm playing as the pulse always gets picked up (I wear my watch on my right wrist). The symptoms you describe do sound like a watch or clock could be the culprit.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    Pacemaker?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Tinnitus?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Central heating timer?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    JohnPerry said:
    Roland said:
    If there's a capacitor in the circuit then it can hold charge for a while, and continue to click, even when the device has been turned off at the mains.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    Has the house had smart meters installed?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Are you anywhere near an airport? I've seen radar do this. On one occasion, a new one had been brought on line and would randomly cause a computer to crash.
    Roland said:
    JohnPerry said:
    Roland said:
    If there's a capacitor in the circuit then it can hold charge for a while, and continue to click, even when the device has been turned off at the mains.
    I'll look into it but I don't think so.

AndyR said:
    Has the house had smart meters installed?
    nope.

normula1 said:
    Are you anywhere near an airport? I've seen radar do this. On one occasion, a new one had been brought on line and would randomly cause a computer to crash.

no. a fair distance from the, ahem, "London Oxford" Airport.

favourites thus far, all to be investigated tomorrow: car alarm, neighbour's wifi, short-circuiting cattle fence, GCHQ/KGB/Mossad bug.

m_c said:
    JohnPerry said:
    m_c said:

Right.

In my guitar room, the cable itself does not pick up the tick. Only the guitar.

However, if i haul a guitar and amp down the garden (picture the ridiculousness of this), towards the cattle fence, the tick gets louder and is picked up by both guitar and cable.

Tuning my little Roberts MW radio to 621khz, this tick is very audible, becoming very loud indeed right next to the fence. I think we have our answer, for which many thanks @m c !

I have a further question though. None of my foliage is shorting this thing out. Next door, however, have weeds now overgrowing the live wire. Would this produce a spark at such metronomic intervals? They are basically sitting on it permanently. Does that produce such a regular spark, one every second and a bit?

• m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    JohnPerry said:
    m_c said:
    JohnPerry said:
    m_c said:

Right.

In my guitar room, the cable itself does not pick up the tick. Only the guitar.

However, if i haul a guitar and amp down the garden (picture the ridiculousness of this), towards the cattle fence, the tick gets louder and is picked up by both guitar and cable.

Tuning my little Roberts MW radio to 621khz, this tick is very audible, becoming very loud indeed right next to the fence. I think we have our answer, for which many thanks @m c !

I have a further question though. None of my foliage is shorting this thing out. Next door, however, have weeds now overgrowing the live wire. Would this produce a spark at such metronomic intervals? They are basically sitting on it permanently. Does that produce such a regular spark, one every second and a bit?
    Glad you've found the source.
    Anything that causes the wire to short out, will cause the exact symptoms you've described. The way an electric fence works is by pulsing every second or so, so if anything comes into contact with it, they get a single shock that throws them off. If it's shorting out/sparking, you get a pulse of EMI, which can even knock out broadband if bad enough (the 512KHz thing is actually a quick check for anything that can affect broadband).

Probably best to go have a chat with whoever's electric fence it is, as if it is shorting out, it will be reducing the effectiveness of it. Let them know you're willing to go trim some foliage to clear it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Will do, and thanks again