Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Films with ludicrous holes in the plot

What's Hot

Comments

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Danny1969 said:
    Independence day

Our hero with his trusty Powerbook 5300 somehow manages to join the aliens network and upload a virus to their operating system thus disabling their force shields. We can only assume the RJ45 connector has universal acceptance and the aliens OS is as badly written as ours then 

I have often wondered about this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7913
    crunchman said:

I think the bigger problem is why they RIng Wraiths were trying to get the ring for Sauron.  If one of them gets it and keeps it for himself he has control over the nine rings anyway.  Why would he give it back to Sauron?

"They were once men, great kings of men. Then Sauron the deceiver gave to them Nine Rings of Power. Blinded by their greed they took them without question, one by one falling into darkness and now they are slaves to his will."
    -Aragorn recounting the origin of the nazgûl

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Roland said:
    The Big Sleep. The censors demanded so many cuts that the plot fell apart. As if sex and drugs weren’t enough they also didn’t like the murder being committed by a girl. One critic wrote “I’ve seen the Big Sleep a dozen times and still don’t know who did it”
    But despite all that it's still bloody excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    munckee said:
    Lord of the rings, why didn't gandalf just fly on the eagle to the volcano in the first film and chuck the ring in, job done.
    That's just a ridiculous and totally unworkable crackpot idea. Gandalf couldn't risk being in possession of the ring as it would control him and turn him evil. Frodo would have to do it.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Journey to the centre of the earth had a ludicrous plot hole, but ... er ... that was the point of the film.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4347
    Frozen.

If the final "act of true love" that saves Anna is enough to do the job, there's about 14 fucking others that happen before that one.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5012
    Lodious said:
    The Titanic. Everyone knows it was unsinkable.

It was fine when it left Belfast....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24615
    There seems to be a misunderstanding of the difference between 'plot hole' and 'taking liberty with the laws of physics' / continuity errors.

This is about plot holes.  Holes in plots.  Plots that have holes in.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4757
    Plot holes - anything written by Agatha Christie where the utterly implausible explanation only becomes clear at the very end and centres on something no-one told us previously.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31087
    Any Bourne film when the CIA are unsucessfully scouring the world for him.

Any 5 year old will tell you it's very obvious 'he's somewhere in Berlin.'

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72949
    rlw said:
    Plot holes - anything written by Agatha Christie where the utterly implausible explanation only becomes clear at the very end and centres on something no-one told us previously.
    I always thought it was very suspicious that wherever Miss Marple goes, someone gets murdered. It's far beyond coincidence. Definite serial killer…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7913
    Lewy said:
    Frozen.

If the final "act of true love" that saves Anna is enough to do the job, there's about 14 fucking others that happen before that one.

Let it go . . .
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    Paul_C said:
    crunchman said:

I think the bigger problem is why they RIng Wraiths were trying to get the ring for Sauron.  If one of them gets it and keeps it for himself he has control over the nine rings anyway.  Why would he give it back to Sauron?

"They were once men, great kings of men. Then Sauron the deceiver gave to them Nine Rings of Power. Blinded by their greed they took them without question, one by one falling into darkness and now they are slaves to his will."
    -Aragorn recounting the origin of the nazgûl

They are slaves to his will because he is the master of the nine rings.  If one of them holds the one ring, then they are master of the nine, and therefore no longer enslaved to whichever one of the nine is theirs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    ICBM said:

But how did he stick Raquel Welch back to the wall, when he left?

To be fair, he did have twenty years to practice.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited October 2017
    ICBM said:
    rlw said:
    I always thought it was very suspicious that wherever Miss Marple goes, someone gets murdered. It's far beyond coincidence. Definite serial killer…
    For the same reason, I'd never move to Midsomer. Surely, with a murder rate that high, by now property prices would have crashed and the place would be overrun with Chavs living in really nice rented accommodation. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381
    Scooby Doo.

Most dogs I know are shit at crime fighting.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • i think its absurd when someone says 'I suspend my disbelief' or 'its a film, none of it is real'.

It there is a major plothole in a film it makes the whole narrative collapse.... the plothole takes you out of the film.... i dont see how people can gloss over plotholes and still call them good films.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Scooby Doo.

Most dogs I know are shit at crime fighting.
    I bet they could tell a real ghost from a bloke in a costume, though.  Especially when they've encountered about 150 of them.
    i think its absurd when someone says 'I suspend my disbelief' or 'its a film, none of it is real'.

It there is a major plothole in a film it makes the whole narrative collapse.... the plothole takes you out of the film.... i dont see how people can gloss over plotholes and still call them good films.

If you're already suspending disbelief by accepting people can fly, walk through walls or fall off buildings without getting hurt, glossing over a couple of plot holes isn't too difficult.

It's only really a problem in a serious piece of drama, or if it's sheer and obvious laziness by the scriptwriters.

• Philly_Q said:
    i think its absurd when someone says 'I suspend my disbelief' or 'its a film, none of it is real'.

If you're already suspending disbelief by accepting people can fly, walk through walls or fall off buildings without getting hurt, glossing over a couple of plot holes isn't too difficult.

It's only really a problem in a serious piece of drama, or if it's sheer and obvious laziness by the scriptwriters.

you're missing the point imo, if in a film it is explained that in this universe the main character can walk through walls, that is fine. However if for example during the film the character has to enter a building to rescue somebody and doesnt use this superpower, without the film explaining why, (unlikely bit there have been sillyer plotholes) then the narrative falls apart. That is what I think the op is getting at.

Imo good fiction has to make sense in its own world.