Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Films with ludicrous holes in the plot

What's Hot

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4347
    Paul_C said:
    Lewy said:
    Frozen.

If the final "act of true love" that saves Anna is enough to do the job, there's about 14 fucking others that happen before that one.

Let it go . . .
    Properly laughed out loud at that!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    edited October 2017
     :o 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • danodano Frets: 1610
    Snakes on a plane. On a 747 the avionics bay isn't directly below the cockpit. Anyone whose crawled around inside a 747 would know this.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72951
    Interstellar.

Not the space travel bit, that was unbelievable but in quite a self-coherent way, or even the time-travel/fourth-dimension stuff which actually works somehow...

The concept of NASA operating a space programme covertly. It takes hundreds of thousands of people, an industry of subcontractors and a vast infrastructure - even in the USSR which was far more secretive about it than the US, the space programme was not hidden down an abandoned mine in the middle of nowhere.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27619
    ICBM said:
    Interstellar.

Not the space travel bit, that was unbelievable but in quite a self-coherent way, or even the time-travel/fourth-dimension stuff which actually works somehow...

The concept of NASA operating a space programme covertly. It takes hundreds of thousands of people, an industry of subcontractors and a vast infrastructure - even in the USSR which was far more secretive about it than the US, the space programme was not hidden down an abandoned mine in the middle of nowhere.
    Not to mention that if they had the ability to put crops in spaceships and get them to grow blight-free then surely they could do the same thing in massive hermetically sealed greenhouses on earth?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Dark Knight Rises - when Bruce Wayne gets out of that pit thing and he hasn’t got a pot to piss in, how does he get back to Gotham? Swim?
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Every James Bond film but especially Skyfall....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72951
    jellyroll said:
    Every James Bond film but especially Skyfall....
    From Russia With Love and Thunderball aren't too bad, which is why they're my favourites.

I was going to mention You Only Live Twice specifically - Blofeld's secret base inside the volcano would have taken tens of thousands of workers a decade or more to build, so it could not possibly be secret - civil engineering on the scale of the Channel Tunnel or the new Hong Kong airport.

But that's probably missing the point of James Bond :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24615
    dano said:
    Snakes on a plane. On a 747 the avionics bay isn't directly below the cockpit. Anyone whose crawled around inside a 747 would know this.
    That annoyed me too in something else like that... however - it's not a plot hole is it ?? It's them taking liberties with aircraft design for convenience.

Now - if you don't all start listening to me and stop suggesting things that are not plot holes, there will be detention for everyone.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    Paul_C said:
    crunchman said:

I think the bigger problem is why they RIng Wraiths were trying to get the ring for Sauron.  If one of them gets it and keeps it for himself he has control over the nine rings anyway.  Why would he give it back to Sauron?

"They were once men, great kings of men. Then Sauron the deceiver gave to them Nine Rings of Power. Blinded by their greed they took them without question, one by one falling into darkness and now they are slaves to his will."
    -Aragorn recounting the origin of the nazgûl

They are slaves to his will because he is the master of the nine rings.  If one of them holds the one ring, then they are master of the nine, and therefore no longer enslaved to whichever one of the nine is theirs.
    So Gollum, Bilbo, and Frodo were their master at times then? I think not.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12070
    28 days later
    I love the film, but rewatching it, immediately realised that someone who had been in a coma for 28 days would be unable to walk or do anything for days
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12285
    crunchman said:
    Paul_C said:
    crunchman said:

I think the bigger problem is why they RIng Wraiths were trying to get the ring for Sauron.  If one of them gets it and keeps it for himself he has control over the nine rings anyway.  Why would he give it back to Sauron?

"They were once men, great kings of men. Then Sauron the deceiver gave to them Nine Rings of Power. Blinded by their greed they took them without question, one by one falling into darkness and now they are slaves to his will."

They are slaves to his will because he is the master of the nine rings.  If one of them holds the one ring, then they are master of the nine, and therefore no longer enslaved to whichever one of the nine is theirs.
    Yeah - only certain people with certain special abilities can wield the "one ring", Gandalf and the other wizards like Saruman could do so, High Elves like Galadriel and Elrond could, and so could Aragorn, probably.

Weaker individuals, like the kings who became the Ring Wraiths and Boromir, would just get corrupted and turned into Gollum type slaves of the ring.  The reason Hobbits could take it all the way to Mount Doom was precisely because they did not want anything apart from a simple life, no desires the ring could easily corrupt.  Essentially a tribute to the citizen soldiers of WW2 from Tolkien.

The issue even the powerful potential wielders have is that the ring is totally "evil", and anyone who tries to turn it to good would just end up the new Sauron, even if they overthrew him.

This is all in the book, incidentally, though elements of it are explained pretty well in the film, especially in Cate Blanchett's mirror scene.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5012
    Batman. Who supplied and installed all that technology in rooms underneath his house? Nobody talked. Nobody seems to know where the bat cave is. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    crunchman said:
    Paul_C said:
    crunchman said:

Yeah - only certain people with certain special abilities can wield the "one ring", Gandalf and the other wizards like Saruman could do so, High Elves like Galadriel and Elrond could, and so could Aragorn, probably.

Weaker individuals, like the kings who became the Ring Wraiths and Boromir, would just get corrupted and turned into Gollum type slaves of the ring.  The reason Hobbits could take it all the way to Mount Doom was precisely because they did not want anything apart from a simple life, no desires the ring could easily corrupt.  Essentially a tribute to the citizen soldiers of WW2 from Tolkien.

The issue even the powerful potential wielders have is that the ring is totally "evil", and anyone who tries to turn it to good would just end up the new Sauron, even if they overthrew him.

This is all in the book, incidentally, though elements of it are explained pretty well in the film, especially in Cate Blanchett's mirror scene.

But the Ring Wraiths are powerful individuals in their own right.  They would have the power to use the ring, and control the 9.  If you read some of the other stuff - can't remember if it's in the appendices or in Unfinished Tales, it's clear that the men that Sauron gave the 9 rings to were powerful individuals.  Some of them were powerful Numenoreans.

No dispute that they would end up the new Sauron, but for a ring wraith, being the new Sauron would be better than being the slave of the original Sauron.

It's not a major issue, but for me it is a hole in the plot.  To me it would also have been much simpler for them to have killed everyone in the dell at Weathertop and just grabbed the ring.  Aragorn with a broken sword wouldn't be able to stand up to 5 ring wraiths on his own.  I love the book, but there are a few things in the story that don't quite make sense.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7913
    crunchman said:
    But the Ring Wraiths are powerful individuals in their own right.
    Were.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12285
    crunchman said:
    crunchman said:
    Paul_C said:
    crunchman said:

But the Ring Wraiths are powerful individuals in their own right.  They would have the power to use the ring, and control the 9.  If you read some of the other stuff - can't remember if it's in the appendices or in Unfinished Tales, it's clear that the men that Sauron gave the 9 rings to were powerful individuals.  Some of them were powerful Numenoreans.

No dispute that they would end up the new Sauron, but for a ring wraith, being the new Sauron would be better than being the slave of the original Sauron.

It's not a major issue, but for me it is a hole in the plot.  To me it would also have been much simpler for them to have killed everyone in the dell at Weathertop and just grabbed the ring.  Aragorn with a broken sword wouldn't be able to stand up to 5 ring wraiths on his own.  I love the book, but there are a few things in the story that don't quite make sense.

That isn't really a plot hole though is it?  Apart from anything else, you have to refer to another work.  Admittedly, something people often do to excuse things that don't make sense in the Star Wars prequels etc!

Aragorn DOES drive off five Nazgul, they do know they have done enough damage to kill Frodo anyhow, but given the opportunity to take the ring there and then they probably would have.  It is a bit inconsistent, Gandalf apparently had to use all his tricks to drive off the four hunting him, Aragorn waved a torch and a broken sword at them.  I think that is partly a hint at how powerful Aragorn is supposed to be.

In fact, how do we know the Witch King wouldn't take the ring for himself?  He doesn't say much, and he never gets his paws on it?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • HAL9000 said:
    ICBM said:

But how did he stick Raquel Welch back to the wall, when he left?

To be fair, he did have twenty years to practice.

Tbh, I think I might have been practicing something-else in front of that poster...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • The Core.

Or is that a ridiculous film with a hole?
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched the Matrix last week. How does Neo manage to fire hundreds of rounds from a mini gun into a small room, killing all the bad guys in there, leaving morpheus sitting on a chair in the center of the room without a scratch on him?  Bit silly in places, but interesting fillum.

Cos he's "the one" and none of it is real?

I thought agent Smith was the one, and Neo was simply the vessel for Smith to accomplish his task. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1392
    For someone who didn't like allegory, Tolkien was pretty good at it.