Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

St Vincent on Graham Norton... Bizarre but good!

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I am on the fence. I started listening before I saw how she dressed (and to be honest I find it a bit off-putting). I like the dissonant guitar work but the songs don't seem that strong. I rarely have a clue what she is singing about. 

I read somewhere she was in The Polyphonic Spree in some capacity who I like.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the quirky approach and enjoy the performance approach too.
    Also, I've played the EBMM Signature model and apart from the Albert Lee models it could be my favourite sig model from any brand. Great sounds and fan Musicman playability. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Not my cup of tea to be honest, but I do like the fact that she's promoting the idea of girls playing guitars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Not that impressed. She was OK, but I didn't hear anything very original or interesting - and very overtly PJ influenced. A non-traditional guitar sound at least, but she didn't really play anything unusual. I would have to say style over substance...

I do like the guitar design, although it needs a headstock that actually goes with the rest of it instead of having the standard MM one tacked on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Annie Clarke is one of the most original, creative and inspirational electric guitar players right now. An opinion shared by Steve Vai, David Byrne and many other luminaries. She's great.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396

I love Annie Clark. Obviously that kind of left-field music isn't going to be to everyone's taste, but to say she cannot play... Not true. What people are saying is that they don't like the way she plays. Wonderful thing about the electric guitar is it is only limited by the imagination. To some, distorted pentatonic Rock is all. But things move along and once you've mastered that Chuck Berry lick then the world is your oyster. Watch the edit above. Can't play? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069
    The all bum album

• Sorry @shrinkwrap I just read that back and it sounded condescending. Totally wasn't meant to be, I just don't read papers or anything that might have lead me to that information! No offense meant!
    No offense taken - I don't do tabloids or gossip stuff either. Some of these things are just for cheap publicity but not this one - I think the album is to do with the break up of the relationship -  check out her duet with Jools Holland on piano..
    Bowie, Byrne, PJH - great - plenty of substance in her other songs even if unusual topics.
  • ICBM said:
    ... I would have to say style over substance...

We have different tastes in many areas, but we can agree on that one.
    Good luck to her, but it's not for me.
    It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not for me either. 
  • I quite like her. Probably not what I’d be bobbing along to in the car but she knows her way around the guitar, tries to do interesting stuff with it and is recognisably somebody in modern pop music who is identified with the guitar. I like the performance side of it too. I’ve no idea about the tabloids/ gossip stuff.
     JezWynd said:
    The all bum album

Not actually her bottom according to that clip from Graham Norton. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    She designed the guitar

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Watched her from side of stage on Park at Glastonbury a few years ago,absolutely phenomenal performance and stage presence and boy could she play live. 

Listening at home and on “media” doesn’t make me want to go out and buy her stuff.

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    While we are on St.V, the riff to birth in reverse, where have I heard it before?  Played slower and possible as the end of a song.  It's doing my head in.
    TIA.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22898
    I haven't heard enough of her music to decide whether I like it or not, but I liked that Graham Norton appearance.

I think it's great that there's at least one high-profile contemporary artist who not only features the electric guitar in her music but is also pictured with a guitar more often than not.  We need people like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I think she’s a really clever businesswoman. She’s realised her Kudos early on. Then got the Q readers onside first. Then gone in with a guitar maker associated with technical rock players. 

I take my hat off to her. The music isn’t without merit. She’s talented. But really she’s a marketing genius. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • If it’s cold enough to wear a scarf then surely she needs a wee bit more on? 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    If it’s cold enough to wear a scarf then surely she needs a wee bit more on? 
    I'm told it's really hot in those studios :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited November 2017
    Hahaha oh dear this is for real! So bad I'm actually laughing. It's like one of those shreds parody videos. Terrible cover of Big Black. What a travesty.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom