Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

St Vincent on Graham Norton... Bizarre but good!

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    Different,talented,arty,aquired taste for sure PJ Harvey influenced Bjork with a guitar.
    She can actually play well .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    AlexC said:
    Regardless of whether people like the music or not - she's hardly a 'new' artist. Been recording for ten years and now promoting her 5th album. Her Musicman signature guitar is a sonic and build innovation, not just body shape. Most of what she does is actually synth lead, not guitar based. She sounds nothing like PJ Harvey. Can the comparison between every woman under 40 who sings and plays an electric who is slightly 'alternative' to Polly Jean be knocked on the head, please.
    I'm fairly sure being compared to PJ Harvey would be seen to be a compliment.  

I don't think her music sounds like PJH for the bits I have heard, but I'm sure she has a multitude of different influences - one of the videos above to my ears belies a Moloko/Roisin Murphy sound of sorts. 

Vocally, very similar ...... IMHO and all that, and the thick eye make up, and the provocative outfits .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    All the - sadly - predictable dumb comments deleted because they weren't worth my time splitting them into a separate BCD discussion.

Talk about the music here.

Talk about other aspects elsewhere.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    It's great that she's doing this stuff, and she seems to be pretty musical

I don't like the songs or the playing style though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I think some of the vocal hints (the random squeaks) go back to the 80s - Toyah and suchlike.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Not really my thing, fair play to her though! I wonder what the requirements for a sig with MusicMan are...
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited November 2017
    She plays great and her writing style is very interesting. 

Her guitar also kills. I want one.

I'd much rather see this odd approach to guitar rather than the same old blues or shred guy/girl. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14435
    edited November 2017
    Veganic said:
    While we are on St.V, the riff to birth in reverse, where have I heard it before?  Played slower and possible as the end of a song.  It's doing my head in.
    That motif would not be out of place on the Prince album, Around The World In A Day. I could also imagine it fitting in with Belew, Bowie, Cardiacs, Devo, Madonna and whoever made that album titled Uh Huh Huh.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Veganic said:
    While we are on St.V, the riff to birth in reverse, where have I heard it before?  Played slower and possible as the end of a song.  It's doing my head in.
    That motif would not be out of place on the Prince album, Around The World In A Day. I could also imagine it fitting in with Belew, Bowie, Cardiacs, Devo, Madonna and whoever made that album titled Uh Huh Huh.

I will stick it on Soundcloud if I get time. Maybe tomorrow. See if anyone can place it.

• She's good to watch from a performance point of view, she reminds of David Byrne in that you can see her thinking of ways to grab your attention, a lot of it seems to have a sense of humour to it. Musically, I've heard some songs I quite like but overall I wouldn't buy it.
  • I was watching some of her live performances last night and I thought it was cool. Good "non-standard" guitar work/melody is always interesting. I need to listen to some of it outside the context of the live performance (and skin-tight catsuits) to see if I still like it!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I worry that we're missing the real issue here.
    What the f**k is she thinking with that paint/pickguard combo ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    The few songs of hers I've heard so far seem a wee bit more pretentious than I care for.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    Would this thread have attracted so much interest if it weren't for her outfit in the photo? Kudos to her wardrobe advisor on a job well done! 
  • Lebarque said:
    Would this thread have attracted so much interest if it weren't for her outfit in the photo? Kudos to her wardrobe advisor on a job well done! 
    Well, the vast majority of the comments appear to have been about guitar, so I'm going to say yes it would. Minus you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:
    I chose to include the picture to illustrate the "odd" part of the performance. 

The lions share of the comments have been about her music, guitar playing and performance. 

I don't really see any evidence that this would have been discussed less without the picture. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • She's middling to me. Quite interesting, good that she is quite inventive on the guitar, and interesting performer. The song on Graham Norton did nothing for me, but some of the tracks I've heard have been quite good.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I really want to like her but just can't.

Too pretentious for me, reminds me of Madonna to be honest - very well constructed and composed, but ultimately...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    peteri said:

Too pretentious for me, reminds me of Madonna to be honest - very well constructed and composed, but ultimately…

I've always thought that Madonna is a very talented person.

Just not at music.

:)

To be clear, I like her - I've got almost every one of her albums. She's a genius at self-promotion and knowing who to collaborate with to get good musical results - but actual musical ability, I suspect not that much.

As a musician, St. Vincent is in a different league.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    To be clear, I like her - I've got almost every one of her albums. She's a genius at self-promotion and knowing who to collaborate with to get good musical results - but actual musical ability, I suspect not that much.

As a musician, St. Vincent is in a different league.
    Agree.  I think with STV and something that applies to some other contemporary musicians e.g. Ed Sheeran, One Direction etc is how memorable they are as celebrities but how unmemorable their music is in contrast to their predecessors.  I think this something that just doesn't apply to myself is how I could name a single song by these artists, which is something I could never say about the music of the predecessors e.g. Madonna, Take That.

However there is a very good chance my perspective is out of touch with the very youth/demographic that actually buy and listen to the relevant contemporary music, I guess age/nostalgia catches up with us all...