Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Im giving up....

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
in Off Topic tFB Trader
..... my full time job to pursue SC Relics Guitars full time. Provisionally, my last day is Saturday November 18th. Im feeling utterly terrified yet totally overjoyed at the prospect of working on guitars full time.

I have been in wedding and formal hirewear since I was 21 (im now 34). All the main events of my life so far have been played out there so im feeling mixed about making the transition. Ive also come to the point where I cant stand the wedding trade at all. Unfortunately, the customers who come in are becoming increasingly difficult to talk to. I have theories as to why this is but tbh id rather keep them to myself. My guitar customers have been a somewhat MASSIVE contrast and breathe of fresh air.

This has been possible due to working 30+ hours a week for over a year in order to build the brand, a reduction to our mortgage and paying off a lot of personal debt. Lower monthly outgoings means its now or never.

A massive thanks to all the customers who have helped make this happen. The driving force behind this has been my wife. She has never doubted me for a second and has put up with so much of my shit this year... she deserves a medal!

0reaction image LOL 22reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4227
    Best of luck to you, well deserved luck at that.  I'm far too much of a shandy to ever attempt something like this!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randella said:
    Best of luck to you, well deserved luck at that.
    ^ This ^
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Good on you done similar myself almost 8 years, frightening but best decision I ever made.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    Thanks fellas. Its going to be possibly the best time ever.... or the worst time ever. Ive got to try though. 

Im looking forward to the future :)
  • Best of luck Scott!
  • Congrats mate !

You know, when I went self employed some years ago, one of my good friends said...

"what the worst that can happen ? You just go back to your old job..."

I never did. Enjoy. Create your own world and dreams.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27658
    Better to take the plunge and do it than to spend the rest of your life wishing that you had.

We'll have a chat early in the New Year
    ;)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited November 2017
    I jumped ship from 'regular' employment to self-employment doing something I love 6 years ago - I cannot understate how much of a positive difference it has made to my life. If I hadn't made the leap I'd still be doing the same awful job now. As my dad used to say - 'theres 2 types of people, talkers and doers - which one do you want to be?'. The very best of luck to you
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8751
    There’s three type of people, those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who haven’t got a clue what’s happened. Type 1 is a good place to be.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • The very best of luck - I’m sure you’ll do really well.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    All the best with it! Sure you'll do well. And be happy.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    That’s a helluva leap to make, and not without risks, but I hope it all works out for you. Good luck!

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6216
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:

A massive thanks to all the customers who have helped make this happen. The driving force behind this has been my wife. She has never doubted me for a second and has put up with so much of my shit this year... she deserves a medal!

congratulations buddy and best wishes going forward full time. I echo your sentiments , i couldn't have launched ThorpyFX without Mrs Thorpe. Sounds like you have caught a good one...
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Good luck :)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Very best of luck to you, and huge kudos to Mrs lonestar for supporting you so well.

I hope it all works out well for you both.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6097
    That's great, good luck in your new adventure.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Good luck!       I’ve been really impressed watching you build your brand with a mixture of enthusiasm, hard work and caring about quality - looking forward to seeing more success for you in future! 
  • Awesome. Hope you make a success out of it, you'll have ups and downs but that applies to every job. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• lonestar said:
    Its going to be possibly the best time ever.... or the worst time ever. 
    Whatever it will be, will usually be different from what you intend or expect and in that kind of lies the beauty of it. It will be a journey that I hope brings positivity and I’m pretty sure that it will as what it replaces is the job you’ve clearly grown to despise. As you say you ‘have to try’ and I think all of us here would agree. You know I rate your work very highly Scott, my dealings with you have been very positive and the guitar we’ve together dreamt up and you’ve created, I love playing. Hoping this pans out to be better than you either plan or expect.
  • lonestar said:
    ..... my full time job to pursue SC Relics Guitars full time. Provisionally, my last day is Saturday November 18th. Im feeling utterly terrified yet totally overjoyed at the prospect of working on guitars full time.

Kudos to you fella, best of luck with the jump to full time.