Am I being unreasonable?

What's Hot

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    He sold a cheap guitar as an expensive guitar - this is a scam. eBay should be notified THAT it is a scam, and HOW it is a scam, not just that the item didn't live up to your expectations. I would be surprised if you are liable for return postage under those circumstances.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    would you care to share the sellers name so others can avoiud the same problem?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    You should still be able to recover the return shipping. If Ebay don't say so, open a Paypal dispute - Paypal are more effective than Ebay. Basically as a buyer you should be totally protected in this sort of case of a misdescription.

I've successfully recovered return shipping even when the seller refused to refund it. You have to jump through a few hoops and it takes a while, but it's worth it - to make the point to the seller as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    edited August 2013
    that's great to know - I will definitely pursue it. I understand he has a few days to respond to the return request first, but the process seems clear. I'll give him until the weekend to accept the return or I will open a dispute.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    ICBM said:
    Make sure you get your return shipping costs back as well as the original shipping - you can do this through Paypal no matter what the seller might tell you - but *only* if you follow Paypal's instructions to the letter. You *must* ship it via a courier with signed-for delivery and online tracking, or they won't accept proof of return if he refuses the refund and you could lose your money and the guitar.

Play hardball too, don't try to negotiate. I wouldn't even accept £30 back to be honest - he's deliberately tried to scam you and deserves to lose out on the sale and shipping, whereas you should get every penny back. Report to Ebay and leave negative feedback when it's all done.

It's no different to if you bought a Gibson and he sent an Epiphone.
    The system now is that if eBay agree with you they will provide you with a shipping label and you will just have to take it to one of the shipper depots (its one of those, can't remember the name, that have collection points all over). Paypal will then reimburse you fully, so stick to your guns, don't agree to send it at your cost, argue your case with photos and backup evidence and all will be well.

• I used to own two 812w's, they were awesome guitars!
    Old Is Gold
  • hywelg said:
    ICBM said:
    Make sure you get your return shipping costs back as well as the original shipping - you can do this through Paypal no matter what the seller might tell you - but *only* if you follow Paypal's instructions to the letter. You *must* ship it via a courier with signed-for delivery and online tracking, or they won't accept proof of return if he refuses the refund and you could lose your money and the guitar.

Play hardball too, don't try to negotiate. I wouldn't even accept £30 back to be honest - he's deliberately tried to scam you and deserves to lose out on the sale and shipping, whereas you should get every penny back. Report to Ebay and leave negative feedback when it's all done.

It's no different to if you bought a Gibson and he sent an Epiphone.
    The system now is that if eBay agree with you they will provide you with a shipping label and you will just have to take it to one of the shipper depots (its one of those, can't remember the name, that have collection points all over). Paypal will then reimburse you fully, so stick to your guns, don't agree to send it at your cost, argue your case with photos and backup evidence and all will be well.

I'm ready to fight! :) thanks for the info dude!

• I used to own two 812w's, they were awesome guitars!
    yeah, I had one once, but traded it in a moment of silliness for something I no longer have...mine was the 812v though - brilliant player

• Seller has accepted the return this morning... he also didn't even comment on the claim... he knows he was wrong!

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    Good work. Of course he knows - he's a guitar shop! Naughty arse. Well done.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    hywelg said:
    Thanks! It's a while since I had to do it. Anyhow, the important thing is to read what Ebay and Paypal say and follow the instructions to the letter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    geepers0677;16564" said:
    Seller has accepted the return this morning... he also didn't even comment on the claim... he knows he was wrong!

Well done!

it may make him think twice next time, although I doubt it sadly.
    :-S

• I dont think it matters if its BIN or an auction if the item is not as described does it?  that would be seller to pay (ultimately) for return postage.  Returns for other reasons fine, bot not mis-selling.
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    edited August 2013
    At the moment he is refunding without a dispute case being open - I'll see how much he sends back, if it doesn't include the postage I will get paypal on it... it isn't like I suddenly got buyer's remorse or something similar - he lied about the model and tried to hide it... someone else might not have clocked on to it...

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2898
    Good outcome, well done.  Ebay works?!?!

• jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    edited August 2013
    You are definitely not being unreasonable, people like that need to be shown that trying to cheat others is unacceptable and will not be tolerated! Beats me how they think they will actually get away with that sort of thing
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Sounds like you're being more than reasonable..    It is possible that it was a genuine mistake and he now realises.

So long as you get your money back then well done -  it could have dragged out into a long claim.   Shame it wasn't what you had wanted but if you get a jtv that you're happier with then that's a result :)
  • so far so good - courier booked as per ebay instructions for tomorrow. He should have it back by Friday. I have said that I want all postage costs back too and will raise a paypal claim for those if necessary.

• Courier has now delivered the guitar to the guy, and it tracking shows it has been signed for as of 10.30am. I immediately followed up with an email requesting full refund now that guitar has been delivered. Nothing so far.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27574

I'm watching, and hoping for a happy outcome ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.