Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Singers who ruined great bands

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4842
    Yeah for sure, I liked him in Extreme but he just didn't suit VH at all. Ha, soap opera is a very apt description as well.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Don Van Vliet wasn't renowned for his people management. He drove apart a bunch of very talented musicians in favour of a few mediocre session guys.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    Stevepage said:
    James Labrie. I just think Dream Theater could have found a better singer.

I think it's mainly to do with the illness he got in the early 90s? Images & Words has good singing, the live at the marquee album from around the same time has some incredible singing, Awake is pretty good as well.
    After that I think he got ill and it affected his voice.

I watched some 2017 live videos a few weeks ago. Oh wow. So bad. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    DefaultM said:
    Stevepage said:
    James Labrie. I just think Dream Theater could have found a better singer.

I think it's mainly to do with the illness he got in the early 90s? Images & Words has good singing, the live at the marquee album from around the same time has some incredible singing, Awake is pretty good as well.
    After that I think he got ill and it affected his voice.

I watched some 2017 live videos a few weeks ago. Oh wow. So bad. 
    I thought he was amazing at least up to Train of Thought - I don't know the later albums very well. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    prowla said:

Off the top of me 'ead -

Bruce Dickenson - Iron Maiden

Burke Shelley - Budgie

Maynard James Keenan - Tool

I think Bruce Dickinson made Iron Maiden!

Budgie - now there's a band similar to Rush. (Or have I reminded you about Geddy?)

TBH, I always felt that Bruce’s voice was too strained. And Geddy Lee, well, I’m kinda ambivalent about him.

I was going to say Bono, but then that would have meant U2 was a great band, so that’s clearly not an option. Sting, for sure. Geldoff’s another one who can’t actually sing if his life depended on it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    Wow - I think for me that award goes to most modern rock and metal bands 
    I hate it when a friend says check this band out for the killer guitar 
    Song starts - great guitar and kick ass drums and then the singer comes in and absolutely has no voice, no range, no style and no class (or is all cookie monster vocals)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The Smiths. 

I don't mind some of The Smiths' music, but listening to it conjures up thoughts of Morrisey, and all his whinging, self-obsessed, self-righteous twattery, and I have to turn it off.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Opera. Overture sounds great, then the "singers" start. FFS!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    Opera. Overture sounds great, then the "singers" start. FFS!
    lol, but there is some truth in that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Gary Cherone in Extreme ... totally shit and flat as fook live.
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Jon Anderson of Yes. 

I know he's part of their sound, but as his voice is in the alto range, it's a bit high for prolonged listening. So to me he's a bit marmite.

I wonder what Yes would have sounded like with a tenor or Baritone at the microphone?

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12399
    57Deluxe said:
    Paul McCartney - everything he does now...
    And before tbh; they shot the wrong Beatle (waits for explosions from the sky and fb fallout for dissing Sir Paul of the frog song). ;) 
    Victor Lewis-Smith (or someone else) said the problem with the beatles is the wrong two died.  His words not mine!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    fandango said:
    Jon Anderson of Yes. 

I know he's part of their sound, but as his voice is in the alto range, it's a bit high for prolonged listening. So to me he's a bit marmite.

I wonder what Yes would have sounded like with a tenor or Baritone at the microphone?

Try listening to Asia...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22971
    I really don't like the harsh growled/screamed vocal style in most forms of extreme metal.  It's so well-established that it would be very silly of me to expect them to change... but it is enough to put me off bands I might otherwise like.

As for specifics... I do find Plant irritating on some Zeppelin songs.

Glenn Hughes' voice is pretty grating.  I liked him in combination with Coverdale back in the '70s, and his voice has held up well, but he's just too histrionic.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited November 2017
    Let's be honest here - it's the singer / vocals that let most bands down. Which is why, if you can find someone who can genuinely sing then they're worth their weight in gold. I've left about 3 bands because the singer just can't hack it. Or rather - they sound like they're hacking it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1950
    I hate to say it, as I love Ronnie James Dio, but his lyrics are really naff at times

I love Ozzy Osborne even though his drug taking ruined Black Sabbath, but the original line up was just magic

Ronnie James Dio in Rainbow however... Ritchie Blackmore (also great) ruined that one
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1950
    prowla said:
    fandango said:
    Jon Anderson of Yes. 

Try listening to Asia...
    Well said - Asia are intolerable, but YES are one of my faves
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    Philly_Q said:
    I really don't like the harsh growled/screamed vocal style in most forms of extreme metal.  It's so well-established that it would be very silly of me to expect them to change... but it is enough to put me off bands I might otherwise like.

As for specifics... I do find Plant irritating on some Zeppelin songs.

Glenn Hughes' voice is pretty grating.  I liked him in combination with Coverdale back in the '70s, and his voice has held up well, but he's just too histrionic.
    I can't stand most metal vocals, especially not the shouting/screaming ones.

Plant I find annoying on most Zeppelin songs, unbearable on some, but oddly less so solo.

Can't stand Glenn Hughes even in Deep Purple, he ruins quite a lot of the Stormbringer album in particular.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Off the top of me 'ead -

Bruce Dickenson - Iron Maiden

Burke Shelley - Budgie

Maynard James Keenan - Tool

I honestly think Burke was perfect for Budgie. 
  • Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden - I could have been a Maiden fan if not for his ridiculous vibrato and grating voice. Plus his hair in the 80s was especially gash.

Gary Cherone - Extreme - deprived the world of one of the greatest ever guitar players (Nuno) by making his work unlistenable due to Cherone's singing. I literally can;t watch a video of Extreme for more than 5 seconds without wanting to murder Gary Cherone.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom