Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Singers who ruined great bands

What's Hot

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Basically the singer of any black metal band... The music always sound awesome until the "singing" starts...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    I think this thread has got a little confused. I think the OP was asking which singer people thought mucked up a band by going solo, or falling over drunk etc. Not 'whose singing don't you like?'
    Or have I got confused?
    So I would say Paul Weller for splitting up The Jam and forming The Style Council, but I love all his solo stuff. 
    Are there any Style Council fans annoyed at Weller for leaving and going solo? The 'white sock and loafer years'... 
    These threads always turn into people/things I don't like threads.

Ian Watkins surely?
    Kurt Cobain
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Darkness.
    Any Current Solo Blues guy/Girl (except maybe Robben Ford), Get a decent singer. Thinking Joe Bonamassa/Joanne Shaw Taylor
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    Morrisey. As I understand it The Smiths was originally Johnny Marr’s band. Then Morrisey gradually took control and manoeuvred Marr out. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    edited November 2017
    Garthy said:
    Philly_Q said:
     (or is all cookie monster vocals)
    This great description should not go unnoticed..
    Have you not heard that one before? 

Fair enough though, it is pretty accurate.
    Indeed, Phil Anselmo ruins every Pantera track. Some of the greatest riffs ever plucked destroyed by a muffled shouting twat.
    He's fantastic on Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display Of Power - although yeah I can probably understand the hatred for the other three that came afterwards.

I'll go for:

Smashing Pumpkins - Fantastic tunes but jeez Corgan's voice is like a thousand miniature chalk boards being dragged on a huge nail.
    The Smiths - Sorry, Morrissey's vocals are fucking gash. He sounds like Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street on ketamine.
    Guns N Roses
    Nuclear Assault
    My Dying Bride - Stainthorpe is not a bad vocalist per se...but he just sounds so bored, and unfortunately drags some of the tunes down with him.

EDIT: Oops turns out I misread the question. Well...it is Monday morning.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    HAL9000 said:
    Morrisey. As I understand it The Smiths was originally Johnny Marr’s band. Then Morrisey gradually took control and manoeuvred Marr out. 
    No.  they formed it together.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

edited November 2017
    CSNY in CSNY 

;p
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    Ro_S said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Indeed, but my understanding is that it was originally Marr's idea. He then met Morrissey and they formed the Smiths together and Marr eventually got sidelined.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Ian Watkins, whether you like LostProphets musically or not, is the worst culprit by a long way. And it's not even fucking close. 

His actions ruined not only the lives of his victims but those of his 4 other band mates, who have ended up being guilty by association. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    HAL9000 said:
    Ro_S said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Indeed, but my understanding is that it was originally Marr's idea. He then met Morrissey and they formed the Smiths together and Marr eventually got sidelined.
    They formed it together.  It was their band and always was. Marr was never "sidelined".  Marr wrote all the songs.  Morrissey was just a more vocal and prominent frontman.   

Brian Jones, on the other hand, did form the The Rolling Stones and he did get sidelined and kicked out the band, by Mick and Keith.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Probably for me, the saddest breakup in a band due to profit demands is the fall out between Peter Hook and Bernard Sumner of New Order. Such a shame they can't patch it up cos NO ain't NO without Hooky's bass playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Boromedic said:
    Yeah, I suppose we could open it out into ruining bands for all reasons too. In that case I'll add Gary Cherone for his stint in Van Halen.... Hagar was a great replacement for DLR but Cherone... Flat as a fart
    I thought that was a great album! In all fairness, they obviously told him to sing different to his normal style, he ended up with some weird gruff sound. They should have let him be himself. Why hire a singer then get him to change??
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    This is a thread of wrong
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970
    axisus said:
    Boromedic said:
    Yeah, I suppose we could open it out into ruining bands for all reasons too. In that case I'll add Gary Cherone for his stint in Van Halen.... Hagar was a great replacement for DLR but Cherone... Flat as a fart
    I thought that was a great album! In all fairness, they obviously told him to sing different to his normal style, he ended up with some weird gruff sound. They should have let him be himself. Why hire a singer then get him to change??
    Really?  I think it's a terrible album.  Every song is just a dreadful rambling mess.  YMMV etc.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:
    @Boromedic could you link me to the Podcast? Kevin Cadogan is basically the reason I play guitar and I know the story but never heard it from the horses mouth.I liked some of 3eb’s later work (out of the vein was good) but always find myself struggling to really enjoy them because Jenkins is such a grade A cunt. 

If you havent already, check out Cadogan’s solo stuff, it’s really good. 
    Here ya go mate:
    http://podbay.fm/show/1020669587/e/1442918171?autostart=1

Yeah I even saw them live in London in 2012 but they aren't the same at all. Still love the debut, I started checking Kevins stuff out after the podcast, its decent like. He seems like a really down to earth fella, and Jude Gold (the interviewer) asks a lot of decent questions and I really enjoyed getting into the nuts and bolts of his technique. He was quite funny as well.
    @Boromedic I'm a big 3EB fan, although it's only the first couple of albums that I particularly know. I'll have a listen to that podcast later.
    It may be true that Jenkins ruined the band, but you could also say that he made the band with his distinctive vocals.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:
    @Boromedic could you link me to the Podcast? Kevin Cadogan is basically the reason I play guitar and I know the story but never heard it from the horses mouth.I liked some of 3eb’s later work (out of the vein was good) but always find myself struggling to really enjoy them because Jenkins is such a grade A cunt. 

Here ya go mate:

Yeah I even saw them live in London in 2012 but they aren't the same at all. Still love the debut, I started checking Kevins stuff out after the podcast, its decent like. He seems like a really down to earth fella, and Jude Gold (the interviewer) asks a lot of decent questions and I really enjoyed getting into the nuts and bolts of his technique. He was quite funny as well.
    @Boromedic I'm a big 3EB fan, although it's only the first couple of albums that I particularly know. I'll have a listen to that podcast later.
    It may be true that Jenkins ruined the band, but you could also say that he made the band with his distinctive vocals.

Whilst you're probably not wrong (his lyrics are great), Cadogan's guitars really gave the songs the sonic epic ness 

The podcast is a really good listen if you know the first album particularly (and second album, but they don't focus on this too much). 

What Jenkins did to him (and the rest of the band) was wrong on all levels, and fair play to KC for sticking to his morals. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Neil Young.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4842
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:

Here ya go mate:

Loved that! Cheers for the heads up. Was great to hear the breakdown of all the riffs to some of my favourite ever songs. He confirmed what I already knew about Jenkins being a first class bellend. Such a shame as they’d still be huge today I think. 

Im going to re-visit Kevin’s solo stuff this week as well I think. Really enjoy the two albums he did after leaving 3ev . 
    No worries mate, glad you liked it. I thought it was great too and such a shame how it all panned out. At least the music lives on!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4842
    BigMonka said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:

Here ya go mate:

Yeah the combo of Cadogan, Salazar and Jenkins was great, I think it took all 3 of them to make it that good for sure. Jenkins voice and lyrical contributions certainly helped make them what they were, shame he was a bellend and ruined what they had though. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Boromedic said:
    BigMonka said:
    Boromedic said:
    joneve said:

Here ya go mate:

Yeah the combo of Cadogan, Salazar and Jenkins was great, I think it took all 3 of them to make it that good for sure. Jenkins voice and lyrical contributions certainly helped make them what they were, shame he was a bellend and ruined what they had though. 
    Case in point, go and listen to Ursa Major, We are Drugs or Dopamine (the last 3 albums). Lyrically, they're still really solid, but musically they're just *ok*. Still good music, but sonically not a patch on their debut or "Blue" (which is one of my top 10 albums ever). Out of the Vein (their third album) is still a really good album. Not quite as good as the first two, but the opening 4 or 5 tracks are some properly good stuff. This was just after Kevin left and Salazar was still in the band, so it's still got some great grooves. 

I love the fact that Cadogan and Salazar started XEB and then Tony Fredianelli (who replaced Kevin when he was pushed out) joined the fray earlier this year to front the band. They're basically touring in support of the 20th (fucksake) anniversary of the debut - and Jenkins can't really do much about it (although he tried, and then gave up)

Speaks volumes that the guitarist who REPLACED the original guitarist is now in a band with the other ex-members, due to their shared hate of Jenkins. 

I listened to the first two albums yesterday at work and really enjoyed them in a different light, was great!