Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NPD RYRA

What's Hot

Comments

• BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited December 2017
    Yeah @Wazmeister stop being so happy with your new shiny pedal. It's probably all in your head. Besides you haven't had many others to compare it too either, right? I've told you before @Wazmeister - pedals are for taking the back off and checking component tolerances to see which one you like best.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_S said:
    @juansolo ;

maybe the pretty enclosure makes it sound better.
    I've got to say this, and I respect what @juansolo says, but I've tried most of em... and most of em have been pretty 'meh'.

I've now owned two RYRAs at two separate points, and they are way superior to anything else, imho.

So, whatever some may say, they are different at least to my and others, ears.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited December 2017
    juansolo said:
    Probably nothing. Most klones stick to the Chittum trace, and therefore the biggest differences are usually down to tolerances (analogue electronics used in guitar effects can have anything from a 1% to 20% variance depending on the part). It's rare anyone deviates from this established formula.

There are a couple of variances based around the tone resistors/cap that can cause the knob to act differently or for it to have fractionally more mids. But the differences are small and you'd unlikely notice unless you were running them back-to-back and flipping between them.

It is not a massively variable circuit like something using old germanium transistors. The Unicorn tear diodes are used for clipping on the dirt side of the circuit that is rarely used by the majority of people who use the effect as a clean booster. Even then, we know what they are and their fv, so again, if they're not straying too far from the Chittum trace then it's not going to be massively different.

Really, if anyone actually wants to know if there's any difference bob one over to us for a couple of weeks. If only to settle your mind. Tracing it is a piece of piss and the only things I'd need to take out are the ge diodes to measure the fv of them, which I could then put back.

Indeed I've never seen the insides of one of these, someone want to bob the back off and take a pic? Out of personal interest more than anything else.
    From what I could find he used to build them on Madbean boards before making his own layout John ;;

He uses mojotastic dale resistors, the same Panasonic films as you and nichicon electros.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18326.0
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    I am with @Wazmeister on this, i have tried them all and for whatever reason this one sounds the best, the builders will always point out the usual technical arguments that it is just a circuit like any other and can be easily replicated, however if that was the case why do my ears and many many others prefer the RYRA, are we all gullible fools? i am but the rest?
  • Yeah, I'm another one - found all the other usual suspects much of a muchness, but the RYRA stood out a fair bit for me, and still does.

Funnily enough, Steve Miller -who has five original Klons - feels the same way apparently, and gigs with a RYRA, as does his guitarist.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited December 2017
    Adam_MD said:
    juansolo said:
    Probably nothing. Most klones stick to the Chittum trace, and therefore the biggest differences are usually down to tolerances (analogue electronics used in guitar effects can have anything from a 1% to 20% variance depending on the part). It's rare anyone deviates from this established formula.

There are a couple of variances based around the tone resistors/cap that can cause the knob to act differently or for it to have fractionally more mids. But the differences are small and you'd unlikely notice unless you were running them back-to-back and flipping between them.

It is not a massively variable circuit like something using old germanium transistors. The Unicorn tear diodes are used for clipping on the dirt side of the circuit that is rarely used by the majority of people who use the effect as a clean booster. Even then, we know what they are and their fv, so again, if they're not straying too far from the Chittum trace then it's not going to be massively different.

Really, if anyone actually wants to know if there's any difference bob one over to us for a couple of weeks. If only to settle your mind. Tracing it is a piece of piss and the only things I'd need to take out are the ge diodes to measure the fv of them, which I could then put back.

Indeed I've never seen the insides of one of these, someone want to bob the back off and take a pic? Out of personal interest more than anything else.
    From what I could find he used to build them on Madbean boards before making his own layout John ;;;

He uses mojotastic dale resistors, the same Panasonic films as you and nochicon electros.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18326.0
    Dale's are awesome, because they look like mini hotdogs. All appears to be quality stuff (amusingly I'd commented on the thread eons ago without putting 2+2 together and realising it was the fabled RYRA Klone. It was probably pre-hype). Without going too much into it, Nice layout, quality parts. What I can seen in there without having one to mess with looks pure klone to me, right down to the tantalum cap. Will this make it sound vastly different to another clone made in a similar fashion... Not really, but it does look like it's a good 'un and it definitely comes in a nice box now.

FWIW, looking at his old threads on bean, the old board he used was a Grind Customs Chimera. Which used to be heavily used in the Klone arena before people either had layouts done for them (sometimes by Grind), or did them themselves. When is all said and done, he's like many who started making klones from the DIY world for some cash. He however seems to have made a good run of it and all power to him!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, I'm another one - found all the other usual suspects much of a muchness, but the RYRA stood out a fair bit for me, and still does.

Funnily enough, Steve Miller -who has five original Klons - feels the same way apparently, and gigs with a RYRA, as does his guitarist.
    Unless you back-to-back them I think a lot of it comes down to psycho-acoustics because we've simply not heard that big a variation in the circuit that everyone claims there is, and we've back-to-backed loads of them against a real one. There have been odd ones that have been vastly different because they've messed with the formula, but as I say, it's rare for people to do that. When they don't it's just a case of finding where the same sound is on the dials (they can be in different places as pots are horribly variable) and any differences just not being that big in the real world.

One of the lads on 'bean took a load of boards and parts to his lab and actually measured them. The layout, if it sticks to the schematic, makes no audible difference (swapping the same parts between different boards), leaving the differences you're hearing coming down to parts choice (if things have been changed) or tolerance (if they haven't). That's it.

I'm really not trying to piss on anyone's chips with this, I bit my tongue on this thread until someone actually asked the question to be fair, if they hadn't I'd have just let it go. There is nothing wrong at all with the RYRA from what I can see, indeed it looks very pretty, appears nicely laid out and uses quality parts. I just don't see anything there that'll make a vast difference to the multitude of other klones out there. As I say, I'm quite happy to trace one if someone really think's there's some special mojo going on, but I genuinely doubt there is, other than it's a very nice pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    The other thing I don’t think users are considering is all of your RYRA klones will all sound subtly different from each other due to components tolerances the same way two original Klons will sound different or if @juansolo and I made some Klones and they were all back to backed.  The audible differences in the video by TPS on klones will be apparent in a comparison if you took 6 RYRA klones and ran them all in a loop switcher.  

They’ll sound like klons (because they are) but all slightly different.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yup
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgaw said:
    I am with @Wazmeister on this, i have tried them all and for whatever reason this one sounds the best, the builders will always point out the usual technical arguments that it is just a circuit like any other and can be easily replicated, however if that was the case why do my ears and many many others prefer the RYRA, are we all gullible fools? i am but the rest?
    Yep, I know I'm a fool - but can't speak for the others :)
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    It’s almost as if dan and mick were listening as today’s TPS aptly demonstrates in the introduction with ‘that particular klon’. 
  • lukedlb said:
    It’s almost as if dan and mick were listening as today’s TPS aptly demonstrates in the introduction with ‘that particular klon’. 
    Man, it looks like we've ALL got it wrong !!
    edited December 2017
    Yup, and ours sound like a particular gold one, because that was our reference.

So curious as to the cap he's using in the tone stack (connected to pin 2 if you can tell...). 3n9 or 8n2. Anyone with one care to pop the back off and have a look? Given he spent time on Bean when he started out doing this, you never know. If that's the difference it'll be somewhat ironic as that's the change we made to make one sound like the gold one we borrowed (gives it a little more mids).
    juansolo said:
    Yup, and ours sound like a particular gold one, because that was our reference.

So curious as to the cap he's using in the tone stack (connected to pin 2 if you can tell...). 3n9 or 8n2. Anyone with one care to pop the back off and have a look? Given he spent time on Bean when he started out doing this, you never know. If that's the difference it'll be somewhat ironic as that's the change we made to make one sound like the gold one we borrowed (gives it a little more mids).
    That’s what I was thinking as well.  It’s a noticeable change and sounds much better with 8n2 in there.  
    Just discovered a silicon fuzz with vol just on gritty fuzz hitting a clean Ryra sounds great. 
  • All I’ve learnt is that a RYRA is to FX what a Lazy J is to amps it seems.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A RYRA into a Lazy J sounds AWESOME!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27638
    edited December 2017
    Yawn.

Temporary close whilst I deleted the squabbling children's scribbles.

[edit - and  re-opened.  Any repeat and the cooler is going to have some Christmas guests].
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I'm a bit intrigued by these RYRA things. What exactly makes them 'better' than other Klones? More clarity, more sparkle, better control?
    edited December 2017
    ...I'm starting to think I'm on mute.

People with them say they're the best things since sliced bread. They have something special that makes these the one (after previous Klones that were the one, successively back to the original Klon... Which was the one).

People who build/have built klones say they're most likely like any other made to the standard klone build (sonically) but very nicely made.

Pretty much it in a nutshell. The RYRA is the current klone on the hype train, there have been others before it and I'm sure there'll be others after it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom