No front number plate...??

What's Hot

Comments

• My mate had a car with cjn***t when we were lads, with a bit of judicious application of black insulating tape, he didn't realise the j became u for about 6 months until he realised 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    proggy said:
    ronnyb said:
    My plate cost about £400 twenty years ago. I'd say it's less of a statement than queuing up to spend a grand on the latest iPhone every two weeks. It's just a bit of individuality. 

Mine is my first initial, then a number 8, then 3 letters. The 8 and the three letters spell my surname in full. 

It's spaced legally, in the correct font and with no dot or any of that wank. Personally I don't really care what other people think. It's a little bit of cash spent once many years ago that will at the very least hold its value. It also stops the whole "New car every other year" neighbour snobbery. 

The difference being that the I phone albeit overpriced, does have a practical use.  
    So does a distinctive number plate, it makes your car easier to find in large car parks. Honest.

Yes, on your return to the said car park you would only have to look across it to see where the large group of people were all stood round your car, marvelling at your exclusive number plate.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    ^^ This is true, they will all be taking photos of it on their new i phones.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28378
    I bought a personalised plate. It cost about £160 more than just having a random registration, and it looks like a completely normal plate. It has my initials as the last 3 letters, and LE60 at the front because I like Lego.

I got it because (a) I went through 8 cars in under two years and kept forgetting the registrations, and (b) work had previously required me to have a car under 4 years old and this let me obfuscate the age of my car.

I assume anyone who has a problem with it is a sort of Hyacinth Bucket figure, more concerned with appearances than substance.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3495
    See, I got round the private plate thing by finding a car with my name already on the plate, I shit you not, it says BOB, my name isn't bob though, but it was close enough to make me buy it, that's way way more classy and elitist than elitists are.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Sporky said:
    I bought a personalised plate. It cost about £160 more than just having a random registration, and it looks like a completely normal plate. It has my initials as the last 3 letters, and LE60 at the front because I like Lego.

I got it because (a) I went through 8 cars in under two years and kept forgetting the registrations, and (b) work had previously required me to have a car under 4 years old and this let me obfuscate the age of my car.

I assume anyone who has a problem with it is a sort of Hyacinth Bucket figure, more concerned with appearances than substance.

I'm not applying this to you but this is why a lot of people get so called 'private' plates, because they don't want people to know how old their car is. It's all part of this elitist culture. I run around in a 14 year old VW Golf which I look after and don't give a shit about what people think. More importantly though....it's paid for. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love to run around in an older car that was exactly what I wanted, but work dictates that I need newer, reliable and under a certain age. 

My plate has been on nice cars, shit heaps and even a white van for a couple of years. :)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    It's actually the opposite for mine - a 60 plate on a 17 plate car. Mostly, though, it's about not having to remember new plates.
    My plate , that has my name on it almost, is the exact same age as the car, that's how I roll.
    It actually reads ''a bob wanker'' if you use a little imagination, money cant buy that shit,.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    edited November 2017
    proggy said:
    ^^ This is true, they will all be taking photos of it on their new i phones.
    Now - people who have vanity plates and a new iPhone - they're the worst of all!
  • ronnyb said:
    The difference being that the I phone albeit overpriced, does have a practical use.  
    It does. It also depreciates faster than a chibson. A thousand pound iPhone is basically extinct and worthless after 2 - 3 years. My number plate is only going to gain value the older it gets. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited November 2017
    Sporky made a good point about remembering the number plate. When I put my current car’s number on the Dartford Crossing website, I put what I thought was the right number in, and later found out I got it wrong because I got fined.

• I've got a private plate for the simple reason that I fancied one! 

I genuinely couldn't care less what anyone else thinks and if people are noticing it and judging then they perhaps should get out a bit more. 

Do they judge the same guy that has purchased a £300 shirt? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ronnyb said:
    It does. It also depreciates faster than a chibson. A thousand pound iPhone is basically extinct and worthless after 2 - 3 years. My number plate is only going to gain value the older it gets. 
    A smartphone has a practical use; a number plate is just a baubel.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've got a private plate for the simple reason that I fancied one! 

I genuinely couldn't care less what anyone else thinks and if people are noticing it and judging then they perhaps should get out a bit more. 

On a technicality, the people who are noticing it must have gone out in order to see it. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    Sparky made a good point about remembering the number plate. When I put my current car’s number on the Dartford Crossing website, I put what I thought was the right number in, and later found out I got it wrong because I got fined.
    That one got me too. And car parks that want your number plate.

Also I really like Lego.
  • prowla said:
    ronnyb said:
    A smartphone has a practical use; a number plate is just a baubel.
    No...a number plate is a legal requirement. Every car has one. When you buy a new car they give you a list to choose from before registering. When you get a new phone contract you get to choose your number from a selection. When you have a child you get to choose their name. 

I don't get why you find this concept difficult. It's a personal choice. It cost me less than some people pay for a tie or a shirt with a fancy label. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ^^  +1 ^^
    I've got a private plate for the simple reason that I fancied one! 

Exactly this.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom