No front number plate...??

What's Hot

Comments

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    ronnyb said:
    The difference being that the I phone albeit overpriced, does have a practical use.  
    It does. It also depreciates faster than a chibson. A thousand pound iPhone is basically extinct and worthless after 2 - 3 years. My number plate is only going to gain value the older it gets. 

Interestingly enough, when people think that their private number plate will appreciate in value, that may not be so. I was told the other week that with modern technology registration plates on vehicles will become a thing of the past. I recently bought the wife a new VW and it's fitted with the VW data plug. Through your smartphone you can tell where the car is, average MPG and how it is being driven etc (no need to look for your distinctive plate on a car park then)   
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    ronnyb said:
    ronnyb said:
    The difference being that the I phone albeit overpriced, does have a practical use.  
    It does. It also depreciates faster than a chibson. A thousand pound iPhone is basically extinct and worthless after 2 - 3 years. My number plate is only going to gain value the older it gets. 

Interestingly enough, when people think that their private number plate will appreciate in value, that may not be so. I was told the other week that with modern technology registration plates on vehicles will become a thing of the past. I recently bought the wife a new VW and it's fitted with the VW data plug. Through your smartphone you can tell where the car is, average MPG and how it is being driven etc (no need to look for your distinctive plate on a car park then)   
    Mmm....but does this mean the the spy's are also watching you?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240 said:
    Mmm....but does this mean the the spy's are also watching you?
    The spy's (sic) are watching everybody.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ronnyb said:
    ronnyb said:

Ok, let's assume you're right a number plates are phased out. I've had it for twenty years. It cost me about £350. I've changed vehicles maybe six times at a cost of £80. Total cost so far about £830. So around £40 per year. That's less than I spend on haircuts in a year, even if it turns out to have no value at all. Plus...I like it, can always remember my reg number and it looks slightly more interesting than a normal number plate. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    £40 a year in haircuts? :o
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Sporky said:

I got it because (a) I went through 8 cars in under two years and kept forgetting the registrations, and (b) work had previously required me to have a car under 4 years old and this let me obfuscate the age of my car.

Until I read this it didn't occur to me that people could have personalised plates for pragmatic reasons. 
    So that's good!
  • usedtobe said:
    More than... 

£10 a go, at least 6 a year. Is that abnormally high? 

ronnyb said:
    ronnyb said:

Ok, let's assume you're right a number plates are phased out. I've had it for twenty years. It cost me about £350. I've changed vehicles maybe six times at a cost of £80. Total cost so far about £830. So around £40 per year. That's less than I spend on haircuts in a year, even if it turns out to have no value at all. Plus...I like it, can always remember my reg number and it looks slightly more interesting than a normal number plate. 

People who go out and spend money on fancy haircuts are just elitist and out to make a statement. My wife does mine with a pair of clippers. It looks a mess but I don't give a shit what people think.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Perhaps it's all cock waving. Maybe we should move to an Amish village and live a simple life with no extravagance...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Perhaps it's all cock waving. Maybe we should move to an Amish village and live a simple life with no extravagance...

Good idea. They're all wearing hats 'cos they've got shite haircuts.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    That's an Amish people carrier,that is.

This guy's having a mid life crisis and has gone for the typical sporty two seater.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    Grunfeld said:
    Sporky said:

I got it because (a) I went through 8 cars in under two years and kept forgetting the registrations, and (b) work had previously required me to have a car under 4 years old and this let me obfuscate the age of my car.

Until I read this it didn't occur to me that people could have personalised plates for pragmatic reasons. 
    So that's good!
    :D

It means you can transfer Dartford Crossing pre-payments to different cars - you can't do it if the registration is different, but you can just phone and say "I was just checking my balance and you seem to have the wrong make and model listed".

Given the minimum pre-payment you can do, if I'd had the plate two years ago it would have very nearly paid for itself in lost pre-payments - my previous employer had me in hire cars and they'd get replaced at random. Some I had for months, some for only weeks, and most places I visited wanted the registration.

At the moment you'd have to be a full-on car nerd to spot that it's a personalised plate - the specific sub-model wasn't on sale in 2010. Obvs that'll change at some point when I get a new car, but I don't plan on changing for a good while, and it's not like I went for PEN1S or CH08NOB.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • That's an Amish people carrier,that is.

This guy's having a mid life crisis and has gone for the typical sporty two seater.

He is an Amish playboy though. He almost certainly has a different hat for every night of the week and knows how to show the ladies a good time. He wins the "suggestively shaped vegetable" contest every year.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    usedtobe said:
    More than... 

£10 a go, at least 6 a year. Is that abnormally high? 
    Probably not. I’m not sure why I picked up on it. It probably just seemed like a pretty random thing to drop in there..
     :) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    That's about right. I see "barber Jo" (lovely lady) every 3 months to lose 3" in hair length. Her normal price is £9 but most people (including me) give her a tenner and tell her to keep the change.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    edited November 2017
    prowla said:
    ronnyb said:
    A smartphone has a practical use; a number plate is just a baubel.
    No...a number plate is a legal requirement. Every car has one. When you buy a new car they give you a list to choose from before registering. When you get a new phone contract you get to choose your number from a selection. When you have a child you get to choose their name. 

I don't get why you find this concept difficult. It's a personal choice. It cost me less than some people pay for a tie or a shirt with a fancy label. 
    Now you know I was referring in particular to a vanity number plate.

The garage chose the number plate on my car - I'm happy with it (it's "PL 0 NKA").

I've had the same phone number for years (in fact, from before they added the extra '7' to the area code for mobiles).

You have to choose a child's name - they don't just get allocated one.

People choose vanity plates because they think it says something about them (they're probably right!).
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    It probably says something about people who seem to have an issue with cherished plates too... Presumably, you wear nothing but sack cloth, drive an un badged, middle of the road car and don't allow your family to wear makeup...because only purely practical things are allowed. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
    If numberplates get phased out what will happen in circumstances such as, did you get their reg number? Like burgelers or hit and runs? If you ask me it will never happen.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    That's an Amish people carrier,that is.

He is an Amish playboy though. He almost certainly has a different hat for every night of the week and knows how to show the ladies a good time. He wins the "suggestively shaped vegetable" contest every year.
    And check out those multi-spoked wheels with ultra-low profile tyres. Cool as fuck down the drive-in.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    prowla said:

People choose vanity plates because they think it says something about them (they're probably right!).
    I've already explained why I bought private plates, and it doesn't fit your claim.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."