Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: 1974 Gibson SG - and a heart-warming story for a cold day

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Do as little as you can get away with, imho. Cool guitar, and a cool story!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3331
    Yeah do everything you need to to make it playable but don’t do anything more. It’s a cool story guitar so why rewrite history?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a great story. Very nice guy to give it to you. Actually, really nice guy to understand how much it would mean to you.
    Have fun!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Got the harmonica bridge and new pins.  The bushings were fine.  Popped the bridge on - and think it's right to have the pins screwed pretty much completely in.  Stuck a set of 9s on to start with.  Sadly, none of the strings are truly ringing out, so I'm guessing the truss requires some adjustment.  Problem is, I'm not sure what tool to use.  @ICBM ?

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    edited December 2017
    you need a gibson truss rod wrench unless you have a slim socket set it the right size.

it might not be as simple as just adjusting the truss rod.  Given it’s life so far I would plan for a fretdress and full setup as a mimimum
  • @WezV , yeah, absolutely does need all that. I just hoped to get it in a halfway playable state myself. Now to find the right luthier...

My band, Red For Dissent
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @WezV , yeah, absolutely does need all that. I just hoped to get it in a halfway playable state myself. Now to find the right luthier...
    I would recommend sending it to @SteveRobinson (Manchester Guitar Tech) down in Manchester.. he will sort it out perfectly 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Bridgehouse thanks. If @SteveRobinson can drop me a quote or idea of price that would be great. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Let it settle, just for a while. If it hasn't had tension on the neck for quite a while, it might need some time for the strings to pull the relief. Why would it need adjusting now? It was probably set to the right relief when the strings and bridge came off. Slowly, slowly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Good call, @BenSirAmos I don't always do patience well! Required here. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • And I use a 5/16 socket on an extension on the very rare occasions I adjust my truss rod. Mine is a 1992 Standard LP so I don't know if it will be the same as a 1974

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited December 2017
    5/16 or 8mm truss rod wrench, if you're comfortable with checking neck relief and adjusting the truss rod.

Given the repair, I'd personally get a pro to have a good look at it before having a go myself.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Let it settle, just for a while. If it hasn't had tension on the neck for quite a while, it might need some time for the strings to pull the relief. Why would it need adjusting now? It was probably set to the right relief when the strings and bridge came off. Slowly, slowly. 
    Even if it was the right relief before, you seem to assume it was playing well before the last time strings were removed, and it’s been stored in a relatively stable environment.

I don’t think either are likely to be true here .  

Although I totally agree with taking it slow, but it will benefit from a good going over at some point soon.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418

Sadly, none of the strings are truly ringing out, so I'm guessing the truss requires some adjustment.  Problem is, I'm not sure what tool to use.  @ICBM ?
    That's exactly what I meant about it needing a fret dress and re-crown because it's been done badly with the frets left flat on top.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @icbm - off to a tech it goes! Thanks

My band, Red For Dissent
  • If those pickups are actually Dimarzio Super Distortions and you were ever planning on changing them I'd be interested in talking to you about buying one :)
  • @clarkefan No plans at the moment - I'll just get the bugger playing to start!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • No worries :) No rush or anything, PM me if there are any developments :)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    9s?

Floppy!!!

Glad to see it being resurrected.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• @impmann I never use 9s but thought it better to waste the set I had!

My band, Red For Dissent