Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: 1974 Gibson SG - and a heart-warming story for a cold day

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Awesome looking guitar with a great story! Wish my SG looked anywhere near that cool...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Okay, so I loosened the bridge and raised it. I thought it was meant to be flush with the body. I presume not. Plays and sounds great, even with 9s! Still needs electronic work and a setup but pretty chuffed. It sings. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another question, if I may:

It's holding 9s with no issues, which is reassuring. I intend to have 10s on it. I can only presume putting on 10s is the best way to test the neck repair?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Another question, if I may:

It's holding 9s with no issues, which is reassuring. I intend to have 10s on it. I can only presume putting on 10s is the best way to test the neck repair?
    Try it. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    Another question, if I may:

Put it on the floor and stand on it. If it breaks, it needed redoing anyway. If it doesn't, you'll never worry about it again.

:)

;) No, don't. Not with your full weight, anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @icbm I'm quite light. I'll take a tentative step on it tonight when I'm home :)

Is there a genuinely better way other than stringing it?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @icbm I'm quite light. I'll take a tentative step on it tonight when I'm home :)

I don't think so. Wear goggles. And a leather jerkin and some gauntlets ;)
  • @Bridgehouse Thermal longjohns already in place. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22959
    @icbm I'm quite light. I'll take a tentative step on it tonight when I'm home :)

I don't think so. Wear goggles. And a leather jerkin and some gauntlets ;)
    And a cricket box.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @SteveRobinson got the job of setting this up (rewire, fretwork, new nut, etc.). @TheGuitarWeasel took on the role of potting the pickups and covering them. Popped some nice shiny top hat knobs on and it plays brilliantly and sounds excellent. The bottom E string intonation isn't right (@SteveRobinson - any suggestions?), which is my only gripe. I've tried adjusting the saddle back and forward can't seem to get it bang on - it always seems flat. Anyway, here it is!

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    Looking great @imalrightjack.

If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic, you need to shorten the string my adjusting the saddle forwards. From the picture, there appears to be plenty of travel left.

It could be a faulty string - or you may have the neck pick-up too close to the strings which can cause intonation issues.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    What an amazing transformation. That guitar deserves an owner like you. Very well done. Was the headstock break redone? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Branshen said:
    What an amazing transformation. That guitar deserves an owner like you. Very well done. Was the headstock break redone? 
    Thanks, @richardhomer I'll check those. 

Headstock was left, @Branshen - I'd kind of like an aged refinish but it's not justifiable. I promise I'll take care of it!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Looking good and a great story. Is it is as good as you remember from 25 years ago?

70’s SG’s aren’t for the purists but the one I had despite the busted headstock and refinish was a great player. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader

It could be a faulty string - or you may have the neck pick-up too close to the strings which can cause intonation issues.
    Yes these are the possible causes of your intonation problems. If you've tried a different string then try lowering the pickups. Magnet pull is more of an issue with single coils but it's worth a go.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    Youve done an amazing job to restore that guitar to glory,  have you shown the former owner yet?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3759
    edited April 2018
    @Iamnobody It definitely plays as well as I remember. Perhaps better. It's moved 2 x PRS USA to the sales pile.

@ThorpyFX The former owner saw a picture and didn't seem too fussed! 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3759
    @SteveRobinson or anybody that might know, I've got the string height sat at 2mm treble side, 2.5mm bass side, from 12th to 22nd fret .This is too high for me. Should I be adjust the bridge height to get it lower? 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Stunning
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    @SteveRobinson or anybody that might know, I've got the string height sat at 2mm treble side, 2.5mm bass side, from 12th to 22nd fret .This is too high for me. Should I be adjust the bridge height to get it lower? 
    If the neck has too much relief, adjust that first. Once the neck is straight enough then reduce the bridge height as far as practicable.