Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: 1974 Gibson SG - and a heart-warming story for a cold day

What's Hot

The story of a guitar...

So, yesterday, I decided to go for a walk around the back of the village I live, little rural roads, secluded and quiet. Quite common for me on a day off. Cold, bracing, lovely. Already buzzing from a nice time with my girlfriend.

Car drove past, ah, it's my dad's old mate Joe. Big wave, he pulled up. Talked guitars. I borrowed his '74 SG in 1992 for my first proper gig, the 25th anniversary of which just passed within the last fortnight (I still have it on VHS!). 

Last time I saw the guitar, it was on the concrete floor of an outhouse, headstock snapped off. I berated him and told him it was criminal. He's since had it repaired but still when I went round to his to have a look, it was very dirty, loosely strung, no bridge, pots knackered. Again, I had to let him know that this just wasn't good enough!  

I asked him how much he would want if he chose to sell it.  As he knows my history with the guitar and how much I loved it, he has remarkably decided that if I were to be the owner it would make him very happy to know it has gone to a good home.  So it's now mine to hopefully restore to as close as possible to its former glory.

Very pleased - and a great day got better!

Main picture is post initial clean up, the rest when I got it home.

I understand he has the original harmonica bridge, which I need to collect.  He did show me but I didn't realise it was the correct one (he himself thought he'd nicked the original for his L6).  The pick-ups are DiMarzios, I believe, most likely Super Distortions, although they're unmarked on the back.

Few questions: 

• If the bridge doesn't fit (it definitely doesn't have pins - so I could do with advice on finding some!), any suggestions on a replacement?  Chrome/nickel (I really can't tell what's on it)?
  • Should I bother getting the top of the neck/headstock resprayed/refinished?  How much is that likely to cost?
  • What pots are best to put in?  At least two are snapped off, so I thought I'd do a full rewire (@theguitarweasel might have suggestions and could do a loom for me?).
  • What are the little 'leaf' things below the knobs?  Cosmetic only?  Replaceable (at least one is in bad shape)?

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    This is beautiful... Keep it as dirty as you can is my suggestion

Gibsons and Fenders look better the more they look like they've been left on the floor of an outhouse. This is why I don't like PRS guitars - a Custom 22 after a similar ordeal would just look a mess, and not in a good way

Enjoy :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Nice one mate!

Something a bit different to the Custom 24. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    edited November 2017
    Wow, that's almost exactly the kind of thing that never happens to me!

The little leaf things are pointers and can be got from here http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Control-Pointers-p/alphapointers.htm
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Nice story and nice guitar. If it were me, I wouldn't bother getting the headstock sprayed, it has a nice bit of character as it is :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8797
    More mojo than Muddy Waters at a Santeria ceremony.  Awesome!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • That's it, no refinishing! It tells a story as it is. 

@ICBM Can you advise on my hardware questions? 

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    That is awesome! Very cool guitar and a really nice story. You will need some new bridge pins and possibly bushes - I can't see from your pics. Amberguitars do some nice aged bits. You will need 500k short shaft pots and there are a few guys out there who do great looms.

Keen to see how it progresses!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16780
    the pickups might not be DiMarzio's if they are unstamped on the baseplate, although there are apparently some pre-74 ones out there.without stamps so it doesn't rule it out.   DiMarzio were supplying OEM pickups for hondo but i think they were stamped too.  Gotoh made a similar pickup, also stamped

Pics of the baseplates will say a lot
    also, looks like a lot of filler in the headstock repair.   I would be looking to strip that part, remove all the filler and replace with actual wood.  I wouldn't want it  looking new, but i do think i would want to know its been done properly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    Don't refinish it - keep it's history!

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• @WezV I am tempted to get the break reset properly as I've no idea how it was done or by whom. However, I'm tempted to just play it and, if it goes, repair it if need be. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    its a good way to go.   

I have had good results removing filler from breaks.  its a bit like excavation, but well worth doing.  You may as well get some strings on and play it for a bit first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    If it was my guitar the only 2 questions at this stage would be:
    1. Will the neck/headstock hold tension?
    2. Can I locate parts to complete the Harmonica Bridge. Classifieds?

And possibly not in that order.

With my skill level I would probably want a guitar tech to look at the repair even before stringing up.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    Kluson make replacement Harmonica bridges and parts.
    If you just need the pins https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kluson-Harmonica-Bridge-Studs-Brass-Set-Of-Two/252727168839
    If it were me I'd make a new loom using CTS short shaft pots, keep the switch if OK.
    If you're not comfortable soldering get a harness from Ash or one of our other wonderful contributing forum businesses.
    As for checking the repair, I'd say string it up and see what occurs personally. There's only one way to find out if it will take the tension.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • My SG Special (1974) had DiMarzio super distortion pickips in it when I bought it. 'Twas not long before they got replaced with Seymour Duncans. Sounds excellent now!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Nice one! and a great restoration project, hope it goes well
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • Jammy goit! :)  Cool story and I hope the SG sounds as great as it looks :) Aside from that repair and light cleanup I'd personally leave that finish be, Gibson wish they could make stuff looking that cool :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    DannyP said:

The little leaf things are called 'thumb slicers' and should be taken off and stamped on with extreme prejudice.
    Edited for accuracy.

:)

@ICBM Can you advise on my hardware questions? 
    You need to use the harmonica bridge - the post holes are directly at right angles to the strings and anything else without the offset to the bass side won't intonate properly.

For pots I would use 500K Log CTS.

It also looks like it could do with a proper fret dress and re-crown - there's significant wear in the lower positions, and it looks like it's been badly dressed already, leaving the fret tops flat... if so it won't intonate properly or sound good since every fret will sound like a miniature sitar. It might just be a trick of the photos though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, @icbm - I knew you would know! 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • It looks great "as is". :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/