Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What were you doing on January 2 1978?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    edwn said:
    I was playing my brand new bass that I got for christmas ... Westone Thunder 1-A ... it is still my main bass -- I've never touched the truss rod, never changed the action or the intonation, I give it new strings every decade and I tune it once a year whether it needs it or not ... :-)
    I must try a thunder one of these days.. I suspect I might like it a lot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was 12 and had been looking forward to this for weeks.  Come the night of the first programme my mum and dad had some friends round for dinner and insisted that the only TV in the living room was switched off and the children were neither seen nor heard.  Little Bro and I are bundled off to our bedroom with a few sandwiches and bags of crisps and told to play with the stuff we had for Christmas.  I was fucking livid.   No Video recorder, no catchup TV so by the time of episode 2 it made no sense at all.   I think it was 4 or 5 years later before I ever saw that first episode.   It still pisses me off.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was sixteen, just about to join the Army days later so probably packing, but as a sci fi  fan I watched Blake's Seven, although I was more a fan of Issac Asimov's books to be honest.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4925
    Carl Sagan: "There are literally billions and billions of stars...".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I was 15 and absolutely loved Blakes 7. Brilliant TV at the time, although I'm sure I'd find it terrible now. Blake was a boring old fart who left after series 1, but the show was really about superb anti-hero Avon (played so well by Paul Darrow). Surely one of the first anti-heroes on TV??

My house wasn't short on scientific TV though, my dad and older bro being proper science buffs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    axisus said:

but the show was really about superb anti-hero Avon (played so well by Paul Darrow). Surely one of the first anti-heroes on TV??

He was the best character on there for me too.

I've been watching Callan on DVD recently (late '60s black & white) and Anthony Valentine as Meres is kind of similar - on the good guy's side but totally ruthless and out for himself. Great characters.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Ravenous said:
    axisus said:

but the show was really about superb anti-hero Avon (played so well by Paul Darrow). Surely one of the first anti-heroes on TV??
    He was the best character on there for me too.
    Avon and Servalan were the best characters by far. The rest were just extras really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited December 2017
    ICBM said:
    Servalan
    Severe haircut!  Makes me think "Drop and give me 50"!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12332
    I was 7 so Blake’s 7 though I probably didn’t really get it, tomorrow’s world, top of the pops, the goodies and the two ronnies, though not necessarily in that order 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I was on a ship at sea in the middle of the north Atlantic in a Force 11 storm :s

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    12 years old, living in Germany (father was in the British Army), just discovered Punk!

The only British TV channel was BFBS - I don’t recall it showing Blake’s 7.
    We are all Chameleons...