Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your favourite Christmas food?

What's Hot

Comments

• NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Peas, on earth.

Getting my coat..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I just googled skirlie. I like the idea!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I tried making my own gravy last year. What a waste of time and  good vegetables.. Back to bisto again this year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    DiscoStu said:
    Aye the whole lot.
    Black pudding and salmon starters, roast turkey dinner with goose fat roast tatties, Yorkie puds and skirlie. My g/f makes amazing skirlie.
    Sprouts are fab, folk that don't like them were probably force fed overcooked and oversalted mush when they were kids and have never had them proper cooked. I like frying them off at the end with pancetta.
    Honey roast parsnips!!
    We're having gammon as well and there's only the two of us!

Bailey's for breakfast of course.
    Ok you’re going to have to enlighten us heathens. Skirlie???
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    CHRISB50 said:

Another fan of a bit of crisped up bubble and squeak.

Here's a TIP for all you Bubblers & Squeakers:

DON'T fry your bubble; squish all your ingredients up with a little added olive oil and spread out squished on a baking tray and place it under the grill at med to hi heat and agitate/turn occasionally. Saves all that standing there watching it frying trying to crisp but not burn it.

It still takes a while, but you can go and do stuff in interim and also less mess to clear...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

DON'T fry your bubble; squish all your ingredients up with a little added olive oil and spread out squished on a baking tray and place it under the grill at med to hi heat and agitate/turn occasionally. Saves all that standing there watching it frying trying to crisp but not burn it.

It still takes a while, but you can go and do stuff in interim and also less mess to clear...
    Alternatively, can you stick it in the oven?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • 57Deluxe said:

Alternatively, can you stick it in the oven?

but the burnt crispy bits are the best bit!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Some festive crisps:

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12389

Actually, I was thinking of a Raymond Blanc recipe where he does slow-cooked shin of beef, but with lamb instead.

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/lifestyle/food/raymond-blanc-how-to-cook-well

I'm going to have a crack at that next time I get some lamb/hogget sounds great.

Skirlie appears to be some type of porridge but with loads of saturated fat.  Not a scottish dish by any chance : )
  • 57Deluxe said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Another fan of a bit of crisped up bubble and squeak.

Don't you just have to stand there making sure it doesn't burn under the grill?

The joy of doing it in a frying pan is, surely, that you can continue to squish whilst heating so it's a pretty efficient process. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    edited December 2017
    boogieman said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Aye the whole lot.
    Black pudding and salmon starters, roast turkey dinner with goose fat roast tatties, Yorkie puds and skirlie. My g/f makes amazing skirlie.
    Sprouts are fab, folk that don't like them were probably force fed overcooked and oversalted mush when they were kids and have never had them proper cooked. I like frying them off at the end with pancetta.
    Honey roast parsnips!!

Skirlie.
    Oil/fat/dripping (please yourself), onions, oatmeal, seasoning, stock (optional). Served as a side.
    It's a bit like stuffing but a lot lighter and nuttier tasting and ideal for roast dinners. My mum used to make it really dry which wasn't my thing but the way my other half makes it is so moreish! She uses the really fine stoneground oatmeal btw.
    Delicious.

http://gbc-cdn-public-media.azureedge.net/img52637.1426x713.jpg

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    DiscoStu said:
    boogieman said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Aye the whole lot.
    Honey roast parsnips!!

Skirlie.
    Oil/fat/dripping (please yourself), onions, oatmeal, seasoning, stock (optional). Served as a side.
    It's a bit like stuffing but a lot lighter and nuttier tasting and ideal for roast dinners. My mum used to make it really dry which wasn't my thing but the way my other half makes it is so moreish! She uses the really fine stoneground oatmeal btw.
    Delicious.

http://gbc-cdn-public-media.azureedge.net/img52637.1426x713.jpg

So basically haggis, but not as interesting? ;) Actually it does sound quite nice.  
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    munckee said:

Actually, I was thinking of a Raymond Blanc recipe where he does slow-cooked shin of beef, but with lamb instead.

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/lifestyle/food/raymond-blanc-how-to-cook-well

I'm going to have a crack at that next time I get some lamb/hogget sounds great.

Skirlie appears to be some type of porridge but with loads of saturated fat.  Not a scottish dish by any chance : )

In order to save embarrassment and a huge fuck-up on the day, I’m thinking of having a dummy run before Christmas. Raymond Blanc is my favourite chef, and I’ve done a few of his recipes before, all of which have turned out perfect, as long as I stuck to them.

As for skirlie, no, it doesn’t do it for me for Chrimbo even though I’d definitely eat it. I tend to use a stuffing mixture of pork sausage meat, finely chopped onion (not too much),dried chopped apricots, pistachios and cranberries. I’ll also make sausage rolls with the same mix, and they go down a treat.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Terry's chocolate orange obviously 
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003

I like a Christmas food treat.

Last year I particularly enjoyed some smoked salmon & Camembert cheese on Nairn's oatcakes with a garnish of chives. I will be having the same again this year with a dram or two of single malt. I also like a prawn vol-au-vent and Christmas is the only time we have them.

What's you favourite Christmas foodie treat?

(I know, some wise ass is to bound to say stew)

Never mind stew, could you fix the thread title?  It's doing me box in
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28369
    DiscoStu said:
    Sprouts are fab, folk that don't like them were probably force fed overcooked and oversalted mush when they were kids and have never had them proper cooked.
    No.

There is a chemical in sprouts for which only some of us have a receptor. If you have the receptor then sprouts are worse than bitrex. It's hard to describe to someone who can't taste it - to you sprouts are basically like little cabbages, right? To me they are like chemical warfare, just overwhelmingly bitter, to the extent that they completely overload my sense of taste and smell.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • We always get a Charlie Barley Stornoway Black Pudding in for christmas.

Best black pudding ever. No contest.
    I love the look of that, will be ordering a couple, one for me and one for father in law

• cj73 said:

I like a Christmas food treat.

Last year I particularly enjoyed some smoked salmon & Camembert cheese on Nairn's oatcakes with a garnish of chives. I will be having the same again this year with a dram or two of single malt. I also like a prawn vol-au-vent and Christmas is the only time we have them.

What's you favourite Christmas foodie treat?

(I know, some wise ass is to bound to say stew)

Never mind stew, could you fix the thread title?  It's doing me box in
    alright love, calm down. fixed.

• I have two,beer and beer.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16714
    All forms of leftover.  

Definitely bubbles &squeak (fried with burnt bits).  Leftover meat in some kind of pie. Amazing sandwiches.  Yes, stews.  Piles of cheese.

I can’t be arsed with turkey.  Last time I did goose and gammon  but rib of beef is a firm favourite

Not cooking at all this year, but I think I need to do a ham