Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your favourite Christmas food?

What's Hot

Comments

• ¡Y Prospero Año Nuevo!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    You don't get these at any other time of the year..... I love 'em. 

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/medias/sys_master/root/h62/h50/8831127060510.jpg
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Kilgore said:
    What's the deal with all this foreign cake at Christmas? Nothing wrong with Mr Kipling.
    Yeah exactly, and you've always got Mr Kipling's French Fancy if you're feeling all exotic and continentaaal...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fröhliche Weinachten
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Kilgore said:
    What's the deal with all this foreign cake at Christmas? Nothing wrong with Mr Kipling.
    nothing wrong with French Fancies 
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12389

Thanks for making my mouth water just before I tuck into my low fat mug shot for lunch.  Missus munckee on a diet again so of course I am too!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For me it's perfect roast potatoes. Start a months in advance gathering roast beef dripping.
    Then par boil the potatoes until they are nearly mash ready. Then let them dream off until cold and stick them in the freezer for 24 hours.
    The defrost at room temp. Heat the beef dripping in the oven and add the potatoes. After and hour at 180C they are perfect 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    Due to circumstances far to onerous to explain I have a makeshift smokehouse and have barbeques Christmas dinner for a number of years.

Make favourite is a ham joint in honey and paprika glaze cooked for 5 hours with Apple wood for smoke.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure if anyone else voted for it already, but my left-field choice is spiced, braised red cabbage. Plenty of grated apple, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, cinnamon and cloves. Cooked on a low hob for a couple of hours on Xmas eve, then left to cool. Reheat again on Xmas day and it tastes even better than the day before. Also makes the whole house smell of Christmas!

I love all the other stuff too mind you, I don't just sit and eat a bowl of cabbage for dinner!  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12389
    For me it's perfect roast potatoes. Start a months in advance gathering roast beef dripping.
    Then par boil the potatoes until they are nearly mash ready. Then let them dream off until cold and stick them in the freezer for 24 hours.
    The defrost at room temp. Heat the beef dripping in the oven and add the potatoes. After and hour at 180C they are perfect 
    I par boil and then shake them in the drained saucepan with the lid so they get more crispy edges.  I've tried goose fat for potatoes which I didn't like, I prefer groundnut oil. 

What does freezing them do?
    Not sure if anyone else voted for it already, but my left-field choice is spiced, braised red cabbage. Plenty of grated apple, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, cinnamon and cloves. Cooked on a low hob for a couple of hours on Xmas eve, then left to cool. Reheat again on Xmas day and it tastes even better than the day before. Also makes the whole house smell of Christmas!

I love all the other stuff too mind you, I don't just sit and eat a bowl of cabbage for dinner!  =)
    Love braised red cabbage (mind you most things cooked in sugar and butter win) great with slow roast pork shoulder....
  • munckee said:8
    For me it's perfect roast potatoes. Start a months in advance gathering roast beef dripping.
    I par boil and then shake them in the drained saucepan with the lid so they get more crispy edges.  I've tried goose fat for potatoes which I didn't like, I prefer groundnut oil. 

Freezing breaks down the outside even more letting the dripping in to give them an even more beefy crispy crust. Got that tip from Heston Blumenthal.

• Not sure if anyone else voted for it already, but my left-field choice is spiced, braised red cabbage. Plenty of grated apple, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, cinnamon and cloves. Cooked on a low hob for a couple of hours on Xmas eve, then left to cool. Reheat again on Xmas day and it tastes even better than the day before. Also makes the whole house smell of Christmas!

Don't think I've ever had it. MrsTheWeary made a load of sauerkraut and I've been adding that to lots of dishes so I'm into cabbage at the moment. She also makes coleslaw sometimes which is just so much better than the shop stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Russ Andrews doesn't do roast potatoes, but if he did....................

• slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    munckee said:8

Freezing breaks down the outside even more letting the dripping in to give them an even more beefy crispy crust. Got that tip from Heston Blumenthal.

I've seen one of his chip recipes that involves freezing. I'll try the roast tatties this way as I can do a lot of the work Christmas eve.

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited December 2017
    Pigs in blankets. I couldn’t find any ready made last year so did my own with smokey bacon and chipolatas from our local butcher. Cooked in goose fat. Delicious! Although I’ve done it now, as family wants me to make them from scratch from now on.
    edited December 2017
    AlexC said:
    Pigs in blankets. I couldn’t find any ready made last year so did my own with smokey bacon and chipolatas from our local butcher. Cooked in goose fat. Delicious! Although I’ve done it now, as family wants me to make them from scratch from now on.
    They're always better from scratch. I'm a bit fussy, but I always find that either the sausage or bacon isn't quite good enough with ready made ones. I probably be happy with a meal consisting entirely of pigs in blankets...
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    My Mum’s Apple pie and Turkish Delight in Talcum powder :)
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 984
    Watched Jamie Oliver making a turkey risotto with a puddle of gravy in the middle. Will be trying that out on Boxing Day but without all the cheese.  https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/turkey-recipes/turkey-risotto/