Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Train Strike 23 24 31 December

What's Hot
sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
oh well done lads, I’m all for the right to Strike but this has really pissed in my Cornflakes for running ragged before Christmas
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4226
    I'm with you - strike, withdraw your labour, make a point.  Use it as a tool to fight whatever the fight is.

Strinking on key dates with the intention of causing as much disruption as humanly possible like this just looks cynical, and could be interpreted as a punishment.  I think it actually weakens the case.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    It certainly doesn't garner much sympathy to their cause.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    I won't give my thoughts as the thread will automatically default to BCD.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12406
    randella said:
    I'm with you - strike, withdraw your labour, make a point.  Use it as a tool to fight whatever the fight is.

Strinking on key dates with the intention of causing as much disruption as humanly possible like this just looks cynical, and could be interpreted as a punishment.  I think it actually weakens the case.
    Definitely a double edged sword. It’s causes major hassle to their employers, which I guess is their intention. It also majorly pisses off the public and doesn’t promote any sympathy for their cause. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Sorry, really shitty of them.

I understand that they are not happy, but there is no need to make Christmas difficult for people 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    Surely the way to make their employers sit up and take notice but without upsetting the public is to come into work and drive trains but don't bother collecting fares.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    edited December 2017
    I don't understand why Sky are only reporting the post Christmas strikes.

Edit: and not NYE either.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    They should strike during business time, not when folks are trying to get around in their free time.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4226
    boogieman said:
    randella said:

Definitely a double edged sword. It’s causes major hassle to their employers, which I guess is their intention. It also majorly pisses off the public and doesn’t promote any sympathy for their cause. 
    @boogieman for sure. But unfortunately the users of trains are used as cannon fodder - it would cause major hassle on *any* given day. 

You would think they want public support for the strike and they're not going to get it if rail users who are already being hit with obnoxious fare rises are now being hamstrung at one of the busiest times of the year. 

I think what I'm getting at is that I'd like to see strike action to be successful - punishing train users like this gives a cynical, hard-bitten impression that they don't give a fuck. I'd hate to see this sort of thing jeapordise strike action as a legitimate tool in negotiation. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    Since when have the RMT given a fuck about commuters?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I can't remember the last time I was forced to take a train, so they can strike all they want.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    joeyowen said:
    Sorry, really shitty of them.

I understand that they are not happy, but there is no need to make Christmas difficult for people 
    Whereas the bosses and the government want to make every day difficult..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    TBH if I worked on the trains I'd probably hate the public that used them.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • boogieman said:
    randella said:

You could argue that there is little sympathy for their cause because, in most industries, unions are extremely weak and for most people this is an affront, not a basic right. The fight was lost a long time ago for most. It'll be interesting to see how much the strikers are demonised in the media.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    boogieman said:
    randella said:

You could argue that there is little sympathy for their cause because, in most industries, unions are extremely weak and for most people this is an affront, not a basic right. The fight was lost a long time ago for most. It'll be interesting to see how much the strikers are demonised in the media.
    One reason there is little sympathy for the cause is that the RMT has an appalling PR operation.  It just can't help itself with the "fat cat private owner, renationalise" rhetoric. 

Take Merseyside where they are in dispute over DOO.  DOO is being introduced by Mersey Travel which is the Labour controlled Local Transport authority.  Merseyrail is not a franchise it is a concession which basically means that Mersey Travel dictates how the service will be run, pays the costs for it to be run that way together with an operators fee and gets all the fare revenue.  The concessionaire gets no benefit at all from removing guards from trains and is only doing so because Mersey Travel is telling them to.  Not a fat cat in sight and yet the RMT still churn that out.  A public body (and a Labour controlled one to boot) making the decision and yet the RMT still churn out "renationalise". 

The other reason there is little sympathy is that these disputes are not about pay, redundancies or job security (as the TOCs concerned have made long term guarantees on all of those), they are about the RMT trying to retain the power to disrupt with the associated leverage that brings. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    I've lost any sympathy for Southern Rail since they stopped the all night service from Victoria via East Croydon after 11.30 at night. Now I can't get back from gigs in London easily, unless I leave before the end sometimes. I certainly cant go for a quick beer after a gig with friends.
    I also agree with keeping guards on trains, but I am so tired of this dispute.
    Take away Southern's franchise!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
    I was made aware of it by my Daughter who 
    lives in Southampton, the strike means that I have a 200 mile round trip to collect her on Xmas eve, not ideal, especially as I am working all over the Xmas break
  • Buy a car. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_Munkee said:
    TBH if I worked on the trains I'd probably hate the public that used them.
    If i had to commte by train i'd probably hate everyone who worked on them  ;)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    They do not have any need for support of the public, they want to make it as awful as possible at the worst times possible so the public moan about the service and then the govt and train companies feel pressured to do something.  As the comment above says its frequently not about job security its about them hanging onto their power.