Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is it possible to define what is a vintage guitar ?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited December 2017

In winemaking a producer "declares " a vintage when wines of that year are exceptional by their usual standards .

So thinking about major guitar manufacturers pre CBS for Fender , pre Norlin for Gibson etc would be a fair shout .

For this to work with guitar companies they would have to admit they have made an awful lot of shit and certain years are definitely worse than others(I'm looking at you 2015 Gibsons!) .  

as for the notion that anything pre 1985 or whatever is "vintage" that's just bollocks .

A Marlin Sidewinder will always be a Marlin Sidewinder ...just older . 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Yep, the Marlin Sidewinder was introduced in the mid-80s, and is the main reason the universally recognised cut-off for what's vintage and what isn't is 1980.  :3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Is it possible to define what is a vintage guitar?

Yes

Is it possible to get everyone to agree on that definition?

No
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    A Vintage guitar, to me, is a blend of three things: desirability, scarcity and age.

Something you want, can't easily find and hadn't been made for over 25 years. Cost, while often high, doesn't define it but they are always valued highly. 

Take one of the three things away and the flame of desire will fade. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I think 1950-1965 was the "golden age" especially for Fender and Gibson.

I actually don't think "vintage" is a particularly useful term.
    Vintage is one of those terms which makes things less clear, not more.

If you've got a, say a 1973 Fender USA Strat that's all the info you need. Why then tag on 'Vintage' when it adds nothing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:

If you've got a, say a 1973 Fender USA Strat that's all the info you need. Why then tag on 'Vintage' when it adds nothing?
    Other than a hook by which to snare gullible tw*ts?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:m
    I think 1950-1965 was the "golden age" especially for Fender and Gibson.

I actually don't think "vintage" is a particularly useful term.
    Vintage is one of those terms which makes things less clear, not more.

Why do you even need the year?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    timhulio said:
    Anything pre-1980, regardless of quality.
    Bollocks to that!
    To right, all this "it's pre 1980 etc" or "it's more than 25 years old" kind if devalues the meaning and use of the tag vintage as it concentrates purely of the age of something and not the quality. Seeing as the dictionary defines the word 'vintage' as refering to a good year or period of production, I'm going to go with that rathre than interent bollocks used to inflate unremarkable 2nd hand gear.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Quality is subjective. There are doubtless duff 60s Fenders and Gibsons. So the most useful use of the term 'vintage' - a term which is in no way useful - is to simply describe the age of an instrument.