Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What was the most dismal, turgid and yawn inducing subject in secondary school ?

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16140
    Latin 
    Belum,Belum ,Belum, Beli,Bello, Belo ,Belamus ,Balatis ,Belant
    Present tense conjugation of the verb Belum (To wage War)
    Why the fuck we had to learn that I don't know
    I am quite old but have never been a Roman Consul or Emperor and have no intention of waging war on anybody 
    Res Ipse Loquiter
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 303
    Chemistry? What's the point of this subject? To create some love notion at home? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    Religious Studies. It was supposed to be interesting and involved learning about other religions, but the teacher (a C of E minister) just made it mind-numbingly dull and oppressive. At the exam I wrote my name at the top of the paper and then walked out.

I'd already given up music earlier, since it was my most hated subject at junior school - the school music department was run by a pair of music snobs whose apparent sole purpose was to put kids off music, unless it was classical.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Geography was a weird one for me - I really like looking at maps, and I think you could parachute me blindfold anywhere in England and I wouldn't be lost for long.

But "describe the drainage features of map square C3" - what?

Unsurprisingly I failed at O-level.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Dominic said:
    Latin 
    Belum,Belum ,Belum, Beli,Bello, Belo ,Belamus ,Balatis ,Belant
    Present tense conjugation of the verb Belum (To wage War)
    Why the fuck we had to learn that I don't know
    I am quite old but have never been a Roman Consul or Emperor and have no intention of waging war on anybody 
    Res Ipse Loquiter
    IMHO Latin is used to teach grammar properly - I never realised what I knew informally until I had to conjugate a French verb. I do wish I'd had Latin lessons as a young 'un as I took to French like a duck to water.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Games/PE. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • History, and I say that as someone who loves history. How they managed to make such a fascinating subject so dull is beyond me.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6717
    Sassafras said:
    Geography.
    There are very few ways to make coal production in Belgium sound interesting.
    You lucky b*****d, we had the work force, industry and economic system of the f**king Ruhr Valley. At the time I probably would have eaten a bucket-full of my own s**t to study coal production in Belgium.  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure I liked any of them that much, thankfully English and Maths had okay teachers.
    At sixth form college we had terrible teachers, for statistics we had the world’s dullest teacher for the world’s dullest subject. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

Maths and Geography for me ...entirely down to personality clashes with the teachers ....and I was an arsehole.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    History, but only because we had a no-neck chinless wonder who could make anything as dull as Bridgwater. These days I'm fascinated by history and will watch everything and anything about European and Middle-Esstern history. At the moment I'm reading about the fall of Constantinople. So must have been the teacher and not me.

A good teacher can make anything (yes, even coal production in Belgium) interesting.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    French. We had the most un-French teacher you could ever imagine.

Classes were an endless river of ”Qu’est-ce que c’est?”, to which the reply was usually “C’est une regle”.

Mind numbing in its pointlesslessness and lack of reality should one find oneself in France.

Our French teacher was a right old Larry Grayson* character. His “shut that door” was spot on.

For you folk under 40, look him up. Grayson (or was it our pseudo-french teacher?) did Generation Game on BBC after Brucey moved on.
  • RE and French for me
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    fandango said:
    French. We had the most un-French teacher you could ever imagine.

Classes were an endless river of ”Qu’est-ce que c’est?”, to which the reply was usually “C’est une regle”.

Ah, tres bien monsieur c'est vraiment  drole.

Quel temps fait il?  Ici c'est pisser.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I did History in NZ, so nothing was covered before 1830, and the only WW2 stuff was the Invasion of Manchuria in 1931. I still generally enjoyed it, but just not the teacher.

Accounting was pretty dry and unpleasant.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I liked sports & games but I could never stomach PE.
    And that friggin medicine ball!!!
    What's that all about and why's it called a medicine ball?
    Unless it's meant in the sense of too much medicine can kill you.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    HAL9000 said:
    History, but only because we had a no-neck chinless wonder who could make anything as dull as Bridgwater. These days I'm fascinated by history and will watch everything and anything about European and Middle-Esstern history. At the moment I'm reading about the fall of Constantinople. So must have been the teacher and not me.

A good teacher can make anything (yes, even coal production in Belgium) interesting.
    Funnily enough, our geography teacher was also the religious studies teacher.
    I suppose being boring is one of the qualifications required to teach those 2 subjects.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    Classical Hebrew. Of very limited use, and in itself as interesting as listening to paint dry.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7367
    I would say RE, apart from the time the teacher awkwardly explained female genital mutilation, and then when she finished I said I didn't understand and kept getting her to repeat bits.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    History, and I say that as someone who loves history. How they managed to make such a fascinating subject so dull is beyond me.
    This.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.