Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What was the most dismal, turgid and yawn inducing subject in secondary school ?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Lines huh?

We had to write ours out in Latin

"Quas dederis solas semper habebas opes"
    Reminds me of The Life Of Brian.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RE. Once had to do a task where we had to choose 5 colours and then write about what thoughts came into our heads. I wrote black and wrote that I thought of mud and dirt.
    Got my work back the next lesson with a massive "See Me" written in red pen. Went to the teachers desk and got told that it was racist and I should think about my actions !

the teacher herself was canny but a bit odd and gave us some fairly random tasks. She also told us about how she got raped as a teenage girl in the park not 20 yards behind our classroom. Strange thing to tell a class of 13 year olds. 

Also hated woodwork and metalwork. I am hopeless with anything like that and DIY. Probably explains why I change my strings as infrequently as possible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Lines huh?

@Bridgehouse - habebis, not habebas.  See me after.

Meliora sequamur.

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Got to be RE, what a waste of time not hepled by the joyless authoritarian devout Roman Catholic arsehole of a teacher.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Nitefly said:
    Lines huh?

@Bridgehouse - habebis, not habebas.  See me after.

Meliora sequamur.

Damn you Autocorrectis iPhonius
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    Nice to see that nearly everyone has mentioned RE - the more that can be done to put people off organised religion, the better. Sounds like they're doing fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    ICBM said:
    Nice to see that nearly everyone has mentioned RE - the more that can be done to put people off organised religion, the better. Sounds like they're doing fine.
    RE was mainly a cultural and historical subject when I was at school. How else would some farmer kids in Somerset learn anything about, say, Hinduism? Wasn't the bible-bashing brainwash course that some people have recollected here. 
  • Biology.  Boring teachers that managed to curb my inquisitive nature.  
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    T.D
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ICBM said:
    RE was mainly a cultural and historical subject when I was at school. How else would some farmer kids in Somerset learn anything about, say, Hinduism? Wasn't the bible-bashing brainwash course that some people have recollected here. 
    Yes times have changed thank, er, God - when was at school it was called RI - Religious Instruction.  And we were "taught" by an ordained priest.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16754
    edited December 2017
    My experience of RE is mostly middle aged happy crappy ( should say “clappy “ but the typo deserves to stay). christians paying very slight lip service to other religions.

i have known 2 atheist RE teachers and they managed to put their own beliefs aside and teach RE in a really balanced and thought provoking way.  Therefore I have decided all RE/RS teachers should be free of religion.

i still like they we can teach about multiple religions in school, even if it’s not always done brilliantly.  It’s simply unconstitutional in America and France
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited December 2017
    I went to a catholic school and remember in RE a guest appearance from a nun who asked us if we masturbated.......seriously.

"oh no sister, we are 14 year old boys, wouldnt dream of it "
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Nitefly said:
    Bloody lines - my god, how many lines I must have written for various infractions.

We had a maths teacher whose favourite punishment (other than corporal!) was 25 lines, from any book of your choice, in your best handwriting.  It used to take ages.

I'd only been there a week when a mate and I were caught whispering during assembly.  We were given the following to write out, 100 times:

"It is highly undesirable for misguided little boys to indulge in conversation during the course of morning assembly".

Try as you will, you cannot fit that into a single line of foolscap paper, so it ended up being 200 lines, to be handed in first thing next day!

I can still remember it word for word over 50 years later...

You ever try the double pen trick?
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    R.E. Even the teacher was bored rigid. He was a maths teacher and very engaging when teaching maths, with a dry wit.  Teaching RE he was like a hobbled race horse.
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    A level economics. You had to do at least three 'A's at my school so it was just a random pick on my part after art and history. I've never been so bored in my life and can remember even after 50 years or so how the lesson used to drag.

This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • thing said:
    A level economics. You had to do at least three 'A's at my school so it was just a random pick on my part after art and history. I've never been so bored in my life and can remember even after 50 years or so how the lesson used to drag.

wis @thing ... I did Maths, Physics and Economics - simply because I knew i was a bit weak in Maths and needed to concentrate on it so I needed a soft option. I did Maths homework during the Economics lessons (until was caught, by which time it hardly mattered). Scored the necessary C in Maths, wrote a load of blx for the Economics and got a scrape pass E. Physics? A!!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I hated English with a passion... reading and dissertating Shakespear plays and boring novels was just pure torture.

My favourite subjects were science and art. Quite liked maths too, although A level maths proved to be a lot more difficult.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    edited December 2017
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

I did Maths, Physics and Economics

wrote a load of blx for the Economics and got a scrape pass E.
    So you probably knew more about it than the average Chancellor of the Exchequer .

An education in maths and physics would be a good thing for all economists. It might make them understand that numbers have to add up and you can’t create something out of nothing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I liked maths in school, nice logical subject where its either right or wrong. none of the english language baloney where im sure ive written a masterpiece whilst the teacher is using it to line a budgie cage.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1312
    R.e was fascinating to me.  I was in church until about 10, so by 12/13 I was defiantly atheist.  It gave R.e some interest and entertainment value.  To make it even better we had the most creationist teacher imaginable.  He scoffed at carbon-dating and evolution, and we would have very interesting debates (which of course he would dominate but they would reaffirm my atheism no end).  I liked asking him about every story of the bible which he referenced, to find out if he believed that that particular story actually happened.  I had pointed out previously that he would appear to choose whether a tale was literal or metaphorical to suit, so every time I asked that question it would remind him of that, which needled him and I have to admit, I loved it.