Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Top Wrapping: Yay or Nay?

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
Hey you crazy cats! 

Meet Edward Gibbon: my objectively unremarkable 2003 LP Standard.  Purchased in 2004 from Peter Cook's Guitar World in Hanwell (RIP) from the proceeds of the first seriously big pay cheque I got in my life, it was my first 'proper' guitar and the first I'd ever purchased brand new (indeed there's only been one more subsequently).  Although it's no fancy R7 reissue and in recent years it's been neglected in favour of its ritzier jazzmaster cousins in particular, it's a big part of my guitar history and is one I'd never, ever sell (although I may have drunkenly tried to prostitute it to coax the odd trade along...)

Anyroadup.  It's been 13 years without a serious clean and although you can't see it in the picture, it's pretty manky with over a decade's accumulated grime.  Mainly bits of me, I expect.  Anyway been inspired to tart it up a bit, clean the crap off and give it a good lemon oiling and a polish. 

Two questions for the forum hive mind:

(1) do I polish the v tarnished chrome work, or leave it with the pretty funky patina of age?

(2) here's the big one: to top-wrap, or not to top-wrap?  Never done it myself but have recently acquired a Firebird where it's been doen and for a thing with a neck like a Giant Sequoia the thing is surprisingly playable.  Does it make a really big difference?  And, if so, any tips/pointers?  I suspect lowering the tailpiece is advisable, but all constructive criticism gratefully received.

Oh yeah.  Picture.
Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    That's a nice looking LP!

I say leave it tarnished.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Hang on... sod the top wrap... Left handed Jazzmasters??? WTF? ;)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Chris_J said:
    That's a nice looking LP!

I say leave it tarnished.
    Thank you!  And yeah: to acquire that degree of tarnishing takes years of carefully studied neglect :D

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Rarer than hen's teeth, but make for a 'balanced' aesthetic, no?

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    Rarer than hen's teeth, but make for a 'balanced' aesthetic, no?

Stop posting gratuitous pictures of Spitfire tort ;)
    You know you WANT it, you bad, bad boy :D

In truth the lefties I got for my southpaw daughter.  We were on a waiting list for about 12 months for the sunburst from a guy in belgium who runs a lefty guitar shop and who had tapped into a VERY limited run Fender Japan did about 18 months ago - fun trip to go collect - and about 48 hours before we were due to hop on the Eurostar to Brussels the Burgundy Mist one came up for a song on a Fb forum.  You wait three years for a lefty JM, then two come along at once :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Anyway.  Where were we?  Top wrapping?!?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    Top wrapping: feels slinkier and easier to play, loses a little resonance and punch. Recently did the Pepsi challenge on a 335 and there absolutely is a difference that can be felt and heard. Try it, you might like it. Easy to reverse if you don't.
    edited December 2017
    chrisv said:
    Top wrapping: feels slinkier and easier to play, loses a little resonance and punch. Recently did the Pepsi challenge on a 335 and there absolutely is a difference that can be felt and heard. Try it, you might like it. Easy to reverse if you don't.
    I'll take 'slinkier and easier to play' any day with my hamfisted amateurishness :D

Any red hot tips on set up?  Am I right to think that lowering the tailpiece is the thing?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Top wrap yes. I do it on my lesters and prefer the feel. Tried it on my 335and didn’t like it, not enough break angle over the bridge.

If you do Top wrap, take the tailpiece right down to the body.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, djentlemen.  Have a 'wisdom' apiece.  Saturday is clearly Top Wrapping Day chez Moans.  At least until the xmas shopping begins :skull: :skull: :skull: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • chrisv said:
    Really?  I thought the point was to increase sustain by screwing the tailpiece right down, but then you need to top-wrap to avoid too sharp a break angle across the bridge.

Anyway, this thread is aligned with my interests: I recently acquired a Special which was already top-wrapped.  When I came to change the strings for the first time, I noticed they had the old ball-ends around the strings to stop the wrap part of the string sticking too far out from the rear of the tailpiece - so I'm thinking of going the other way.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Really?  I thought the point was to increase sustain by screwing the tailpiece right down, but then you need to top-wrap to avoid too sharp a break angle across the bridge.

Anyway, this thread is aligned with my interests: I recently acquired a Special which was already top-wrapped.  When I came to change the strings for the first time, I noticed they had the old ball-ends around the strings to stop the wrap part of the string sticking too far out from the rear of the tailpiece - so I'm thinking of going the other way.
    Trying to visualise this.  Got a picture?!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I'm interested too - does the top wrap damage the finish on the tailpiece?
    I'm interested too - does the top wrap damage the finish on the tailpiece?
    I'd imagine it would have the potential to scratch it up a bit
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    JerkMoans said: no

In truth the lefties I got for my southpaw daughter.  We were on a waiting list for about 12 months for the sunburst from a guy in belgium who runs a lefty guitar shop and who had tapped into a VERY limited run Fender Japan did about 18 months ago - fun trip to go collect - and about 48 hours before we were due to hop on the Eurostar to Brussels the Burgundy Mist one came up for a song on a Fb forum.  You wait three years for a lefty JM, then two come along at once :)
    Please post more gratuitous pictures of Spitfire tort. I need to be talked into it. :0)
    Lebarque said:
    Please post more gratuitous pictures of Spitfire tort. I need to be talked into it. :0)
    Be careful what you wish for...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • JerkMoans said:

Trying to visualise this.  Got a picture?!
    Here you go - conveniently (not really) snapped the top E the other day so you can see the whole trick!  If the extra ball-end isn't there, you can see how the kink would be in the wrapped part of the string (which will be more of a problem with the heavier strings).   Of course, it might be down to the brand of string you're using how much the wrap extends.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Here you go - conveniently (not really) snapped the top E the other day so you can see the whole trick!  If the extra ball-end isn't there, you can see how the kink would be in the wrapped part of the string (which will be more of a problem with the heavier strings).   Of course, it might be down to the brand of string you're using how much the wrap extends.

Interesting solution/fix type advanced engineering.  I wonder whether soldering the twisted bits would work, too.  Risks of painful scrapes on the strumming hand?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Lebarque said:
    JerkMoans said: no

The general consensus is that if you want 60s tort style then it has to be be Spitfire. 

Most modern tort is a pale imitation of the original and rather special tort Fender made before they realised the method they were using would eventually self destruct.

I considered swapping my tort plate on my 64 Precision for quite a while as it's shrinking and I don't want it to crack. Spitfire really was the only option. In the end I decided it's not going anywhere so put my brave big boy pants on and drilled new holes to ease the tension. Ho hum.

My tort:

Nice bit of Spitfire:

Modern tort: