Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Top Wrapping: Yay or Nay?

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoans said:

Interesting solution/fix type advanced engineering.  I wonder whether soldering the twisted bits would work, too.  Risks of painful scrapes on the strumming hand?
    Yes.  ;)

Even with the ball-end, the end of the wrapped part is still fractionally proud of the rear edge of the tailpiece.  It hasn't been a problem when actually playing, though.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    The general consensus is that if you want 60s tort style then it has to be be Spitfire. 

Most modern tort is a pale imitation of the original and rather special tort Fender made before they realised the method they were using would eventually self destruct.

I considered swapping my tort plate on my 64 Precision for quite a while as it's shrinking and I don't want it to crack. Spitfire really was the only option. In the end I decided it's not going anywhere so put my brave big boy pants on and drilled new holes to ease the tension. Ho hum.

My tort:

Nice bit of Spitfire:

Modern tort:

Hardtail JM?  What fresh Heresy is this?!?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    JerkMoans said:
    The general consensus is that if you want 60s tort style then it has to be be Spitfire. 

Most modern tort is a pale imitation of the original and rather special tort Fender made before they realised the method they were using would eventually self destruct.

I considered swapping my tort plate on my 64 Precision for quite a while as it's shrinking and I don't want it to crack. Spitfire really was the only option. In the end I decided it's not going anywhere so put my brave big boy pants on and drilled new holes to ease the tension. Ho hum.

My tort:

Nice bit of Spitfire:

Modern tort:

Hardtail JM?  What fresh Heresy is this?!?
    It's an anti @HarrySeven guitar. 
  • I cannot get my head around why wrapping would make the slightest difference to feel if the same guage strings are tuned to the same pitch?

Oh, and tarnished all the way :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My tort:

Nice bit of Spitfire:

Modern tort:

You seem very knowledgeable - are you self tort?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Top wrapping is a faff for no reason IMO, you're already talking about using old ball ends as spacers, the wire wraps cutting your hands, soldering the wraps (this will cause your strings to break!) and the general awkwardness of making it work.

It tried it once and broke two strings within a day where they exit the back of the tailpiece, and I never break strings normally.

You could just put the damn strings on the right way around in the first place! 
    @richardhomer - you should be on Michael Macintyres show...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    edited December 2017
    clarkefan said:
    I cannot get my head around why wrapping would make the slightest difference to feel if the same guage strings are tuned to the same pitch?
    Because it reduces the down-pressure of the strings on the bridge saddles, and hence reduces the force needed to pull the strings over them when you bend them. It's surprisingly noticeable.

And always wrong :). Unless you're Duane Allman...

If you can't get the tailpiece down fully tight without the strings pressing too much on the back edge of the bridge, then you have the wrong Les Paul ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @richardhomer - you should be on Michael Macintyres show...
    I’ll take that as an insult....
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited December 2017
    Tortoise shell scratchplates look shit and are for gaylords

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Tortoise shell scratchplates look shit and are for gaylords
    No they’re not - impossible as I have one on my slide Strat - so there’s your proof!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I'm sooo old sometimes, I saw the thread title and immediately thought you had gift wrapped something and made a top job of it...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I changed to top wrapping for a while and didn't notice any difference. I'm back to standard now. 

Re OPs question - clean the guitar but don't polish the metalwork (apart from the frets). Preserve the mojo! 
    Tortoise shell scratchplates look shit and are for gaylords
    @RandallFlagg was delighted by the new decor in his "man boudoir"

He was hoping the fit lad next door would like it too

• NeilNeil Frets: 3623
    I always top wrap.

If I wind down the stop bar to the bottom the string angle is too acute across the bridge so I did  as per Dan Erlwine recommended.

It does give a  different feel.

• It's an anti @HarrySeven guitar. 

Actually, science has yet to devise an anti HarrySeven guitar. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Actually, science has yet to devise an anti HarrySeven guitar. ;)
    Yeah, but a hardtail Jazzer? You'd actually have one?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I string most of my Gibson types normally apart from my (bought used) 339. It came topwrapped and when I restrung it normally it distinctly lost some of the feel it had so I put it back to topwrapped. I still don't like the look though.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited December 2017

Actually, science has yet to devise an anti HarrySeven guitar.
    Yeah, but a hardtail Jazzer? You'd actually have one?

I already do.

Well, a partscaster Jazzmaster, assembled from primarily vintage Hofner and Fender components...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Exciting update!

im cleaning the guitar to hell and back (save the metalwork). Irritated by the cloudy bits. Gibson guitar polish ain’t cutting it, so... car wax?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer