Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Top Wrapping: Yay or Nay?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    I top wrap my SG. Didn't notice any difference in feel but it means I can have my tailpiece all the way down whilst still clearing the back of the bridge. It's purely cosmetic for me, with it strung normally I have to have the tailpiece high to clear and it looks rubbish to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    I don't top wrap as I see no need to, but I'm not against it - advantages/disadvantages are minimal

https://i.imgur.com/WIF7LmD.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Next time I re-string, I'm going to try it normally, and see how it goes.  But I'm wondering - have I got the bridge on the wrong way round?  From what I understand, it's an ABR-1, which usually has the intonation screws facing the pickups - @ICBM ?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Not for me - I tried it on another LP I had and I didn't like it.  It sounded a little different, but the feeling was weird, maybe if I went up a gauge in strings, to 11s, that would have offset the difference in feel.  
  • normula1 said:
    I string most of my Gibson types normally apart from my (bought used) 339. It came topwrapped and when I restrung it normally it distinctly lost some of the feel it had so I put it back to topwrapped. I still don't like the look though.
    interesting. A used epiphone 339 i recently bought came topwrapped. Even though same string guage as my les paul which is normal wrapped, it does feel easier to bend. will probably keep it topwrapped when i next change stings
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    as it's Christmas...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Next time I re-string, I'm going to try it normally, and see how it goes.  But I'm wondering - have I got the bridge on the wrong way round?  From what I understand, it's an ABR-1, which usually has the intonation screws facing the pickups - @ICBM ?
    Yes, on the ABR-1 the screws should face the pickup. On the Nashville they face the tailpiece.

Looking at your pic, turning it round will also make the saddles face the right way - they should have the vertical face towards the pickup, except for the low E and A if they won't intonate like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Top wrapping looks gash.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    impmann said:
    Top wrapping looks gash.

I quite like gash
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    edited December 2017
    https://i.imgur.com/VCUHRsI.jpg
    I half n half, gives me a litlle more slink on the skinny strings and keeps the wound strings strings tight.... or .. its all in my head ! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Top wrapping looks gash.

Is that an Essex girl orange telecaster I see over yours?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    impmann said:
    Top wrapping looks like you've spent too long on the internet.

Edited for accuracy. :)
  • Guitar looks great as it is.

By all means try top wrapping it. I personally prefer not top wrapping. Top wrapping gives a slightly slinkier playing/bending feel and I think 24.75” scale guitars have enough of that already as it is.

I’m a fan of having the tailpiece as low as it’ll go, not top wrapped. But YMMV
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Have an incoming Les Paul that is top wrapped so am intrigued to see how it feels....
  • Always over wrap the tail piece on LP's. It adds to the playability of the slinkiness !
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I've always wondered what the difference in sound would be between screwing the tailpiece hard down or putting a couple of washers between it and the studs such that the strings don't foul the back of the bridge.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I’ve always done it - it allows the use of a gauge higher than usual in standard tuning and I do think it increases sustain. Whether or not it’s psychosomatic I don’t care - if it works it works. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom