Recovered from the folks' loft...

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2231
edited December 2017 in Guitar
Recovered from my parents' loft. The Korean Squier Tele I had when I was 15! The serial number beginning with S means it was made, I think, in 1989-1990, so it's almost technically vintage! I think... anyhoo, here's a link to photos of it: https://imgur.com/gallery/3Xi0c

I'm wondering whether a wee restoration project might be in order. It's dusty, there's some relic and wear on the body, it will need a clean up (I don't even know what state the innards/wiring is in) and the frets look pretty worn. It looks pretty clean, though, for having sat unused in my folks' loft for 20 years. 

Where the do I even start with getting such a Tele sounding halfway good?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Recovered from my parents' loft. The Korean Squier Tele I had when I was 15! The serial number beginning with S means it was made, I think, in 1989-1990, so it's almost technically vintage! I think... anyhoo, here's a link to photos of it: https://imgur.com/gallery/3Xi0c

I'm wondering whether a wee restoration project might be in order. It's dusty, there's some relic and wear on the body, it will need a clean up (I don't even know what state the innards/wiring is in) and the frets look pretty worn. It looks pretty clean, though, for having sat unused in my folks' loft for 20 years. 

You're in London.
    Feline Guitars are in London.

You're golden.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Alnico said:

You're in London.

You're golden.
    Excellent! I'll just have to get it back from Aberdeen.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Alnico said:

You're in London.

You're golden.
    I never said I was clever.
    ;)

Aside from the work they'd do, I'd say some oil city pickups and wiring harness would be lovely in that.
    Don't change a thing about how it looks if it's unchanged since you were 15, that's almost priceless.

Happy Christmas man !
  • That's nice!  I have a Chinese "Affinity", bought in the early 2000's in the exact colors(except the switch is black).  I would string it up and see what it sounds like first, mine sounds amazing right off the shelf and the affinity line was touted as even more budget than actual Squires. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    The serial number beginning with S 
    For "Samick" (factory) I believe. The necks on these guitar are great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alnico said:
    Alnico said:

You're in London.

You're golden.
    ;)

Aside from the work they'd do, I'd say some oil city pickups and wiring harness would be lovely in that.
    Don't change a thing about how it looks if it's unchanged since you were 15, that's almost priceless.

Happy Christmas man !
    And a happy Festivus to you too!
  • Stick some mojo pickups in it. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    How wonderful!

trades? :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Don't do anything with the finish it looks fantastic as it is. If it were mine, I would give it a good clean and leave it at that. I would possibly swap the pups out with something that suited my tastes. 
  • Wolfetone said:
    Don't do anything with the finish it looks fantastic as it is. If it were mine, I would give it a good clean and leave it at that. I would possibly swap the pups out with something that suited my tastes. 
    I'll have to have the innards checked over as well. 
  • Black pickguard and matching  switch tip and it will look great.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:

You're in London.

You're golden.
    ;)

Happy Christmas man !
    And a happy Festivus to you too!
    A Festivus for the rest of us!

I've got my childhood Squier on my wall for nostalgia but wouldn't actually want to ever play it as it's terrible lol
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Yeah, S followed by 6 digits were Samick factory 1989-90. Quite a slim neck usually and ceramic pickups and small dime sized pots.

@BintyTwanger77 pickup and wiring upgrade would be my first suggestion as the ceramics on these could be a bit microphonic and for some reason they were often fitted with 500k pots, which can sound a bit shrill. Also watch out if doing anything with the paint. A lot of S series Squiers were ply bodied so might be best to leave finish as is.
  • Octafish said:
    Yeah, S followed by 6 digits were Samick factory 1989-90. Quite a slim neck usually and ceramic pickups and small dime sized pots.

@BintyTwanger77 pickup and wiring upgrade would be my first suggestion as the ceramics on these could be a bit microphonic and for some reason they were often fitted with 500k pots, which can sound a bit shrill. Also watch out if doing anything with the paint. A lot of S series Squiers were ply bodied so might be best to leave finish as is.
    Maybe an anodised pickguard?
  • Has it got any paperwork? If not, I believe the going rate for an unidentifiable guitar in relic condition is £4k ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Has it got any paperwork? If not, I believe the going rate for an unidentifiable guitar in relic condition is £4k ;) 
    A man can dream :)
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Octafish said:

Maybe an anodised pickguard?
    You could, might merge in with the body, but they're not cheap. I'd go for black pickguard (always look good on a Tele), some nice Alnico PUPs, new wiring/pots and I'd be tempted to fit a vintage style bridge plate and saddles for the mojos =)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Has it got any paperwork? If not, I believe the going rate for an unidentifiable guitar in relic condition is £4k ;) 
    OP needs to post a video tho...
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2231
    edited December 2017
    Has it got any paperwork? If not, I believe the going rate for an unidentifiable guitar in relic condition is £4k  
    OP needs to post a video tho...
    A video?