Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best book you've ever read?

What's Hot

Comments

• For me, I really enjoyed the Robert Jordan wheel of time series. I am also a big Brandon Sanderson fan.

The hobbit is another good one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tell you what though: The Silmarillion can do one. That's a book too far.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15766
    Tell you what though: The Silmarillion can do one. That's a book too far.
    I don't think it's a book so much, more a vast collection of syllables arranged in such a way as to make no sense. With an index.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    Tell you what though: The Silmarillion can do one. That's a book too far.
    I don't think it's a book so much, more a vast collection of syllables arranged in such a way as to make no sense. With an index.

I wouldn't have named my band after it, that's for sure.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    @Sassafras you're not wrong regarding Donna Tartt- Secret History is what I came on here to suggest. 

I'll go with Name of the Wind By Patrick Rothfuss instead. I just wish he'd get a move on with the third book.. It's been 10years! 
    I'd also recommend The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.
    Very compelling. The sort of book you have to read in one sitting.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Not the best books ever written but I've thoroughly enjoyed The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall-Smith.
    They're like children's books for adults. Very charming.
  • celentium said:
    LOTR
    wis. yes, that was a great read, and now you mention it I remember it with great fondness, partially for the stage in my life at which I read it
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Some great reads in this thread
    I am a big fan of Ian M Banks, I must have read all his books 4 or 5 times now. For me it's perfect SF.

One of my favourite things to happen to me was seeing a hardback copy of Neil Gaiman's American Gods at a jumble sale which they only wanted 20p for.
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 535
    Anathem by Neal Stephenson is a favourite of mine. I enjoy his use of language and nerdy humour, and the themes explored in the book.

In my opinion, it's a fantastic idea, terribly written, which sums up most of Stephenson's recent work. He's achieved a significant stature (deservedly) as a writer which means he no longer has to submit his stuff to an editor, and unfortunately, he really needs one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Some superb shouts so far - just let me chuck in a few that haven't been mentioned ....

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson 
    The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler (or any of them really - he's the original and the best)
    100 Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez 
    Ask the Dust - John Fante
    Pulp - Charles Bukowski 
    Journey to the End of the Night - Louis Ferdinand Celine 
    A Fans Notes - Fredrick Exley 
    Another Bullshit Night in Suck City - Nick Flynn
    The Old Man and Sea - Ernest Hemmingway
    The LA Diaries - James Brown 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    For me, I really enjoyed the Robert Jordan wheel of time series. I am also a big Brandon Sanderson fan.

I enjoyed them too.. for the most part... Started strong, kind of lost it in the middle, was bought back together for the end :)
  • In my 20's there were three books that made a big impression because they were like nothing I'd read before. These were:
    Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
    Grapes Of Wrath  - John Steinbeck
    The Third Policeman - Flann O'Brien

I became a huge fan of Vonnegut and Steinbeck.
    I've since read some great books, but with the passage of time, nothing has quite the same impact.

It's not a competition.
  • Bravo Two Zero - Andy McNabb
  • Well, I see there are some seriously good choices here. I'll have to re-read some of those mentioned and try some of the ones I'm not familiar with.

I couldn't possibly single out a particular book so I give you The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson. Twelve volumes over 4 series should keep you busy over the hols :)

A seriously good read, Great characters, interesting setting and full of moral choices. Definitely among the best books I've read in my mere sixty or so years. Give them a try you might just share my enjoyment!

Merry Christmas all

"When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
    Well, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.”
    Robert Johnson
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson. Well all 10 books in the  series actually, very epic with a very flawed protaganist.

Pips LOTR & The Hobbit etc for me.

His short stories, novellas and Sci Fi esque Gap series are excellent too, well worth seeking out and having a read.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    edited December 2017
    Best book... how on earth could you choose one? 
    At one level I'd say it's something like Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking.  Because it's over 26 years since I've read it and it totally changed my life.

But in terms of books that make you think... an odd one:  
    Terry Pratchett, The Bromeliad Trilogy:  Diggers; Trucks; Wings

This trilogy is meant to be for kids but don't let that put you off. 
  • johnnyurq said:
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson. Well all 10 books in the  series actually, very epic with a very flawed protaganist.

Pips LOTR & The Hobbit etc for me.

His short stories, novellas and Sci Fi esque Gap series are excellent too, well worth seeking out and having a read.
    I stand corrected, that'll teach me to engage my brain before posting. :)

Quite frankly I've loved all of his work so far and have just started Seventh Decimate (his latest).

"When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
    Well, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.”
    Robert Johnson
  • LoFi said:
    Anathem by Neal Stephenson is a favourite of mine. I enjoy his use of language and nerdy humour, and the themes explored in the book.

In my opinion, it's a fantastic idea, terribly written, which sums up most of Stephenson's recent work. He's achieved a significant stature (deservedly) as a writer which means he no longer has to submit his stuff to an editor, and unfortunately, he really needs one.

@LoFi I would go along with that for SevenEves; he should just have written a non-fiction book about what he thinks would happen if the moon fell apart. I really enjoyed the Baroque Cycle. Depends what you mean by recent I suppose!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12068
    siraxeman said:
    Easily by a country mile + 10....the Bible!! worldwide best seller of all time!! no.2 book is about the bible - Pilgrims Progress.
    I am not sure I know anyone who ever bought a bible
    It is probably the most printed book, and the one given away free most often

here's the best selling books:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

The metro says that the Koran is more popular:
    http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/15/the-most-popular-book-of-all-time-isnt-harry-potter-5297319/