C18 Q1 Cabronita Mustang - Cooderstang! Progress!

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    paulnb57 said:
    That first non duck, mockup looks much better, thanks @WezV now I need to a sheet of scratchplate and see if I can cut it accurately round the P90's, might have to buy a Router!....

Routers are indeed very useful, but I probably wouldn't use one to cut that bit of scratchplate.

I've done it before, and then still found tiny bits of black plastic a year later.  The router throws them *everywhere*.  Plus, it's harder to control accurately unless you've made a template first.  For a one-off job like that, cutting by hand would be easier.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3007
    Love it but the second one is putting me in mind of the G&L Fallout ! 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    DrBob said:
    Love it but the second one is putting me in mind of the G&L Fallout ! 
    I don’t think I have ever seen one before... just shows how hard it is to be original :)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    edited January 2018
    An 11 hour night shift gave plenty of thinking time.......and pretty quiet too considering it was New Years Eve.......frustrating thing is very limited internet access......I can access TDPRI but not The Fretboard, our web Policing works in mysterious ways!....

Anyroadup, after some sleep today, a bit of paper and scissor action sees a scratchplate shape I think I am happy with, this is working from the perspective of modifying a Standard scratchplate and not making completely from, erm scratch.....I like the way the rear corner matches the curve of the front edge of the bridge plate and the way it extends slightly up the sides of the pickups looks better too, thanks to @WezV for the suggestion, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees....
    I have in the mail 2 scratchplates,one Black Pearl and one White Pearl....lets see how this goes!.....

http://i.imgur.com/EWdNUmD.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    paulnb57 said:

I have in the mail 2 scratchplates,one Black Pearl and one White Pearl....lets see how this goes!.....

http://i.imgur.com/EWdNUmD.jpg

I’m liking the plain white look! Contrasts nicely with the black pups... 
    edited January 2018
    A little update, a gap in the weather meant the last coat of paint has now gone on and the body has been hanging over a radiator to vent off, still waiting for scratchplates to arrive...... just loose fitted the neck with custon neck plate...

http://i.imgur.com/ee3lvLX.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That neck potentially is awesome! Scratchplate looks good too! 
    That neck plate is a nice touch!
    edited January 2018
    Had a bit of a day of it today, buffed the paint with TCut, then wired up the control plate, wasted an hour and messed up yet another scratchplate, trying to cut it neatly round the bottom of the pickups......managed to salvage enough of a pearl white one and am pretty happy with it......I've  now cocked up four scratchplates and have admitted defeat!
    All assembled, set up, intonated etc, it all needs to settle and next string change will see the intonation screws shortened........
    Pretty happy with the result, I will probably replace the P90’s at some point, which are ok, I'll see how I get on with them...

Photos...

http://i.imgur.com/bmxWX1o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hEbFyRy.jpg

I'll do better photos tomorrow in daylight...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes! This looks pukka! 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Nicely done sir!!!!

looks bangin!
  • Supercool job - especially the neck plate, that's raised the bar for the rest of us.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1855
    Wow. Great job.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    edited January 2018
    So final spec is
    Custom Swamp Ash Mustang body from Legit kits in the US. Sea Foam Green
    Allparts Baseball bat neck modded to Vee profile, body colour headstock with custom decal and locking tuners 25.5" scale
    Custom engraved neck plate
    Fender Toronado bridge modified to top loader and Tele compensated saddles
    Mustang control plate
    CTS solid shaft volume pot with Jazz Bass Knob.
    Modified Mustang scratchplate.
    Iron Gear P90's
    Schaller straplocks

That was a bit quick!

I like the finish - looks good with the grain showing.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Nice one @paulnb57, take a bow.  If you plan to change the P90s in the future, I suggest getting yourself a pair of Jason Lollars..... 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited January 2018
    TTony said:
    That was a bit quick!

Yes it was a bit quick! I had a lot of parts already in stock as it was already planned....

But wait!
    Theres more! 

A guitar for the Eldest Grandson, probably a hardtail Strat with a Tele neck......

And a custom Mustang Short Scale (30") Bass in Roasted Swamp Ash, natiral finish with Maple Squier Bronco neck......

Watch this space slowcoaches!.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Love that @paulnb57 ; :). Great paint job - perfect colour.  Just spotted your other two on the finished projects, too.

Gotta love a mustang (or two or three ;)  )
    Thanks Andy!

• How did I miss this, farking cool!