Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should one get rid of things one still likes if one doesn't use them?

What's Hot

Comments

• Depends if you have the collector bug or not. I haven't these days and I don't really get attached to things so I tend to move them on if I don't use them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    ellwood said:
    I know the feeling. Have recently acquired Custom 24. As a 1990 with a braz board it is worth an ok amount. And I am trying to love it. But I just can’t get comfy with the 24 fret neck. It feels way too long for me. I have only just said to my wife I don’t whether to keep it in the case because it isn’t going to lose value - or just sell now. I know I’m not going to use it much, but I have never major need to sell.

First world problems huh?
    That is a classic PRS - if you want to off-load it, Mark @guitars4you is your man - he will definitely have customers who’d pay good money for that.

Alternatively - keep it under your bed - you’re unlikely to loose out keeping hold of it....
    Not a bad shout. Will give @guitars4you a shout and see what he thinks!
  • ellwood said:
    I know the feeling. Have recently acquired Custom 24. As a 1990 with a braz board it is worth an ok amount. And I am trying to love it. But I just can’t get comfy with the 24 fret neck. It feels way too long for me. I have only just said to my wife I don’t whether to keep it in the case because it isn’t going to lose value - or just sell now. I know I’m not going to use it much, but I have never major need to sell.

First world problems huh?
    I have the same problem with my 88 CU24  :3 a terrible dilemma!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15594
    I haven't seriously played guitar for about 6 months now, and shifted on some stuff that I wasn't using. I still have my larrivee acoustic, but I am reluctant to sell as it's an amazing guitar (well beyond my abilities) and I know if I sold it, I'd struggle to replace it in the future. So, for the moment I'll hold on to it, right now I don't need the money and I have the space. Whether this'll be the case in the future I can't say.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7127
    If you don't use the guitar, and you don't need the money then just give them away

instant karma
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Neill said:
    I do have a few spare rigs but they are so awful I think i'm doing the guitar community a big favour by keeping them out of circulation.

@HarrySeven will have them..
    True.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Get rid unless you know you will certainly have need of them in the future. This stuff is meant to be used.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14545
    axisus said:
    Should one get rid of things one still likes if one doesn't use them?
    Your sixty year old self may have something to say about this question. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8743
    edited January 2018
    Mrs Roland has today evicted over a dozen rice bowls. If it clutters our life then it goes. If we have space to keep it then it’s our children’s problem. 

There are a couple of items which I keep for reference or insurance, or because I might come back to them. A Crybaby and a TS-9 haven’t seen daylight for years, but occasionally come out for comparison with the AxeFX. These and a GT-8 are there in case the AxeFX dies. The GR-33 has been gathering dust since I joined the current band, but is likely to find its way into 2018’s set list.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    I had a really nice PRS (two in fact) I didn't need the money, I had space to store them but I hated them just sitting in a case. So I sold one of them and bought a CS tele that I play everyday. I didn't need another guitar - but I just thought if I haven't played it in two years why keep it. I hope the new owner plays it and enjoys it. 

I've always been a bit of a horder but last year I decided to sell anything that wasn't used - and I could move on (a partscaster for example would be worth so little I couldn't be arsed). Haven't missed anything and as I said I now things I use more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99 said:
    If you don't use the guitar, and you don't need the money then just give them away

instant karma
    Your comment got a LOL but I would give you a WIS. I recently dropped off two guitars at a local charity shop - not because I'm a wonderful human being but because they didn't cost me very much to buy and I simply couldn't be arsed to go through the whole selling process. I do, however, harbour a sneaking hope that somebody who really wants to learn guitar gets them for peanuts and has a chance to get started. I wasn't using them myself, so surely it is better to put them back into the universal circulation of instruments than have them gather dust in a bedroom.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I hardly use it or enjoy it, I doubt I’d miss it, and when I do sit down with it, it just gives me problems or costs money. 

So I left her. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    I don’t own enough gear to have this problem :anguished: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antipesto said:
    Be careful!   Years back, we sold a Jap Strat and a Jap Tele, thinking they were worth about £300 each.. They were the original paisley Japs, too.
    In unfairness, a dealer told us "no one will want those finishes!"  Yeah. Live & learn.
    What are they worth now? £500 realistically? Don’t lose sleep 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited January 2018
    I’ve got a few guitars which cost and are worth a lot but I hardly ever use, but I enjoy owning them and don’t feel the need to sell them because of it. The idea that it’s a disgrace for a guitar to sit unplayed is pretty hilarious - they’re my guitars and I can do what I want (or not)with them . Most of them are pretty hard to find and I know I’d probably/in some cases definitely never find another if I sold it.  If you don’t need the money (and as someone’s said, the equivalent money in the bank would be earning almost nothing in interest) and enjoy owning them and occasionally giving them a quick strum, what’s the problem?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited January 2018
    I've a 1999 Gibson Reverse V Firebird,which i never really use, which resides in my cupboard in its geet big case. Drag it out now and again with a view to sell it,but every time i open the case I just think"ah its fabulous!I'll just keep it" Have however managed to sell a PRS I was scared of damaging and a nice Gibson SG that i just wasn't getting on with and loads of other stuff when things start to get out of hand. It's a hard one but I've never regretted anything I've sold after lots of consideration. Think I'd miss my Firebird though so that stops.
  • Sell ‘em. It’ll be a weight off your mind. Plus, you’ll feel less guilty next time you buy one. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    The one reason to sell for me would be that I really like my trusty old AxeFx (as a home player only) and I'd be interested in buying/trying other more modern things - Kemper, Helix etc.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    I have a couple of guitars which have sentimental value (bought with money parents left me, etc.).

I've got some others which I like having, but could shift if needs be.

But I'll keep hold of them as long as I want to, really.