Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should one get rid of things one still likes if one doesn't use them?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I generally go on the premise that if it's not used within 18 months, it goes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Sell, as long as you start a gear fund. We’re lucky to be in a time where selling and buying the same brand/model can happen in minutes so you never need worry about losing an item. I’m about to do a clear out of great gear. I’ll just buy them again if needs be. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I say yes.
    The best reason for keeping a guitar that you do not play would be if the guitar is arguably an investment.

Yes - There are such guitars.
    If you have a near mint Les Paul Junior, and the cardboard case has survived, I say that you have an investment,

I think that de-cluttering is usually a very good idea. Try it with your wardrobe.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    seems none of the greats ever keep their iconic instruments - ever...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I have a couple of nice guitars and a few okay guitars and several fairly cheap guitars, mostly bought from ebay,  that really aren't worth anything.  It doesn't seem worth the effort to get rid of the cheap ones so they just take up space.  Not sure who would want them anyway.

• ellwood said:
    I know the feeling. Have recently acquired Custom 24. As a 1990 with a braz board it is worth an ok amount. And I am trying to love it. But I just can’t get comfy with the 24 fret neck. It feels way too long for me. I have only just said to my wife I don’t whether to keep it in the case because it isn’t going to lose value - or just sell now. I know I’m not going to use it much, but I have never major need to sell.

First world problems huh?
    I'm in a similar position with my '89 Custom. I got it in '91 with money from my familf as 21st birthday gifts. Played it and loved it for years but it's not been used in anger in probably ten years. 
    I've an original Marshall Jubilee combo that's the same, plus in a lesser value scale a Squier strat I've had since '89 that I recently played - loved the sound, hated the neck. 
    I'm torn as the only guitars that get picked up are the two Telecasters. 
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    ellwood said:
    I know the feeling. Have recently acquired Custom 24. As a 1990 with a braz board it is worth an ok amount. And I am trying to love it. But I just can’t get comfy with the 24 fret neck. It feels way too long for me. I have only just said to my wife I don’t whether to keep it in the case because it isn’t going to lose value - or just sell now. I know I’m not going to use it much, but I have never major need to sell.

First world problems huh?
    I'm in a similar position with my '89 Custom. I got it in '91 with money from my familf as 21st birthday gifts. Played it and loved it for years but it's not been used in anger in probably ten years. 
    I've an original Marshall Jubilee combo that's the same, plus in a lesser value scale a Squier strat I've had since '89 that I recently played - loved the sound, hated the neck. 
    I'm torn as the only guitars that get picked up are the two Telecasters. 
    Have advertised mine. Tried again today but definitely not a fan of the 24 fret neck. Feels too long. Don’t know if I am way out on price, will see what happens!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    edited January 2018
    57Deluxe said:
    Jimmy Page has his
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    57Deluxe said:
    Jimmy Page has his
    That's cos they aren't 100% original as he's buggered about with them. The sniffy collectors wouldn't give him tuppence for them
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    57Deluxe said:
    Jimmy Page has his
    That's cos they aren't 100% original as he's buggered about with them. The sniffy collectors wouldn't give him tuppence for them
    Withe the Page connection they'd be worth more than an unmolested example. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31638
    tony99 said:
    If you don't use the guitar, and you don't need the money then just give them away

instant karma
    Your comment got a LOL but I would give you a WIS. I recently dropped off two guitars at a local charity shop - not because I'm a wonderful human being but because they didn't cost me very much to buy and I simply couldn't be arsed to go through the whole selling process. I do, however, harbour a sneaking hope that somebody who really wants to learn guitar gets them for peanuts and has a chance to get started. I wasn't using them myself, so surely it is better to put them back into the universal circulation of instruments than have them gather dust in a bedroom.
    I feel the same, I've given away a Hohner 335, an Epi G400, a Flying V copy and a Tanglewood Ernie Ball type thing in the last year or so, and quite a few others I've forgotten about before those. 

All perfectly serviceable guitars I've done a good few gigs with, which owe me nowt basically. 

I can't be arsed with selling cheap stuff if it's paid for itself a few times over, let someone else use them. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Neil said:
    57Deluxe said:
    Jimmy Page has his
    Withe the Page connection they'd be worth more than an unmolested example. 
    I was being facetious. 

The sensible answer is of course that Jimi sees them as integral to "his" sound and playing style
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    I really wouldn't sell your good one. Bizarrely for a long time I played my favourite (and best) guitar the least, a Collings electric, due to me being too scared to damage it. I ended up with a "high days and holidays" kind of approach to this guitar. Long story short, after questioning as to what's the point in having it and considering selling it, I freed it from it's case and am now using it all the time and gigging it... it's no longer perfect but I'm so glad I didn't sell it... I always knew it was my #1!
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited January 2018
    I am having this issue at the moment. I absolutely love my JXG Jr (former @miserneil ;) and know I wont ever find a better one for me.... but it isn't getting used live and I tend to move things on if they aren't gigged. Tricky situation really.
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    I had a major clear out of gear I don't use last year...don't miss any of it.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    are you the queen ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom