Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should one get rid of things one still likes if one doesn't use them?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
I have some meh guitars I don't use, but I also have at least one amazing guitar I don't use. I also have 2 very good amp heads that I don't use. I don't actually need money for GAS, and the things in question are tucked away. I'm wondering if I should just ship them all out and be done with them rather than store them endlessly.

What thinkest the good people of the Forum??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I had some awesome guitars. Hadn't played any of them for six months so I got rid.

I say clear them out
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11894
    I haven’t played my Taylor for over a year...but I can’t bring myself to sell it.
  • Be careful!   Years back, we sold a Jap Strat and a Jap Tele, thinking they were worth about £300 each.. They were the original paisley Japs, too.
    In unfairness, a dealer told us "no one will want those finishes!"  Yeah. Live & learn.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    I fume when I hear about guys who have hundreds of nice guitars in storage it's criminal I think instruments are meant to be played so get rid I say just make sure you sell to someone who is going to appreciate them.  

I do have a few spare rigs but they are so awful I think i'm doing the guitar community a big favour by keeping them out of circulation.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Neill said:
    I fume when I hear about guys who have hundreds of nice guitars in storage it's criminal I think instruments are meant to be played so get rid I say just make sure you sell to someone who is going to appreciate them.  

I do have a few spare rigs but they are so awful I think i'm doing the guitar community a big favour by keeping them out of circulation.

@HarrySeven will have them..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    edited December 2017
    I bought a Taylor NS32ce nylon string a few years ago. I recorded one piece with it - then hardly touched it for years. Earlier this year, I needed to raise some money and considered selling it - but given its something of an niche instrument, came to the conclusion that I’d probably have to almost give it away.

Later in the year, I recorded another piece with it and concluded that while it’ll never be used a lot - it’s actually a lovely thing to own and does it’s job beautifully.

So my view is - unless you really need the money - keep hold of stuff....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I would sell the meh guitars, and get the other kit out and play it. If you're not going to play it, then ask yourself if you'd ever regret selling it. Also consider what real benefit you'll get from keeping it, and where there isn't benefit then sell.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited December 2017
    Do you need/want to sell them or are you doing it because you think you should? if it's the latter, you have space and aren't short on the bills .. keep them. They might become your go to gear again. Tastes can change.

*should have been clearer, I meant the amazing guitar, not the meh ones.
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I know the feeling. Have recently acquired Custom 24. As a 1990 with a braz board it is worth an ok amount. And I am trying to love it. But I just can’t get comfy with the 24 fret neck. It feels way too long for me. I have only just said to my wife I don’t whether to keep it in the case because it isn’t going to lose value - or just sell now. I know I’m not going to use it much, but I have never major need to sell.

First world problems huh?
  • ellwood said:
    I know the feeling. Have recently acquired Custom 24. As a 1990 with a braz board it is worth an ok amount. And I am trying to love it. But I just can’t get comfy with the 24 fret neck. It feels way too long for me. I have only just said to my wife I don’t whether to keep it in the case because it isn’t going to lose value - or just sell now. I know I’m not going to use it much, but I have never major need to sell.

First world problems huh?
    That is a classic PRS - if you want to off-load it, Mark @guitars4you is your man - he will definitely have customers who’d pay good money for that.

Alternatively - keep it under your bed - you’re unlikely to loose out keeping hold of it....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I ask myself the same question every couple  of months... I have 8 cores Prsi and only noodle at home. They ALL come out for a couple of weeks in rotation, I CANNOT choose a favourite, they're my kids.

At times I feel guilty for having them but I love playing, looking at and owning them.

Fook it, it's my life. The ME1 is currently out  ;)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    My justification for keeping loads of stuff that I don't need or use is that neither do I need the space nor money and one day I might just decide that I'm going to use whatever it is.

That applies to guitars, amps, tools (here is a long long list of different things) and socks.

On the other hand, if it's stuff that's just getting in the way, confusing or distracting you, and serving no purpose (including a purpose of "one day I can see me wanting/using/needing that"), then get rid of it and go Zen.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    The thing is do you enjoy owning them. I own 8 guitars and only play 2 of them but get pleasure out of the fact that they're mine. If you don't need the money what's the point in selling, at the present time the money in the bank will gain didley squat in interest. I have a couple of Gibson acoustics from the 60's, haven't played them for more than ten years but their value will probably appreciate more than the cash would if i sold them.    
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    One thinks that one should most certainly do what one thinks and sell the horde. Once lightened of the aforementioned load, one can embrace the relative fortitude and solitary slumber of those genuine relics that one truly cares for. Merry new year, Gerald. May God go with you. 
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    It's a far more interesting a story to say I had an iconic, no stupendously valuable guitar
    which I unfortunately sold ,than I have one but would never sell it
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    I've never known the Queen to give anything away 'cos ain't bee'in used...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've never known the Queen to give anything away 'cos ain't bee'in used...
    Hong Kong?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Out of my 7 guitars only 1 rarely gets used, my Gibson Les Paul Junior bought in 2007. It was used for a fair few gigs and during my time at music institute, but since I got another Telecaster and LP I never really use it anymore. I can't bring myself to sell it either as it reminds me of those years studying and starting off in bands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6717
    If it gives you pleasure, keep it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • merlin said:
    If it gives you pleasure, keep it. 
    My thoughts exactly, we're only here once