Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Strats - where is the sweet spot, value wise?

What's Hot
BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
As per title really - with regards new Strats - where is the sweet spot in terms of bang for buck? Let's say max budget of £1500, what would you be looking at?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72715
    Mexican Classic Series

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    ICBM said:
    Mexican Classic Series
    Certainly heard a lot of good things about them!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14455
    tFB Trader
    I know you said new, but IMO you'll get more for your money if you went used - for example

Eric Johnson Strat - the original version with no fingerboard binding and buy used to fit in the budget - should get as new mint etc for less than £1500 - more of a vintage flavoured model with a few player friendly tweaks

I don't dislike a good used USA Strat Deluxe - but change the noiseless p/ups and you will have funds for both - more modern spec'd

below that and into Mex territory IMO the Classic Players are awesome for the price

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks guys. Believe it or not I’ve actually never gone into a store and played a bunch of guitars and walked out with the one I like.

I really want to do that...!

That was the main reason for looking to buy new but I do appreciate that obviously considering used will give me more options. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4736
    Fender Classic Player 50 Strat Shoreline Gold
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4736
    I have been trying extremely hard not to buy the above Classic Player 50s in Shoreline Gold for some months now, depsite being obsessed with it.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31692
    ICBM said:
    Mexican Classic Series
    Exactly this. They sound and feel more like a vintage Strat than the more expensive US Standards, you have to get into the silly prices of US vintage reissues to rival them IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    I like the American special but you have to like Jumbo frets.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14455
    tFB Trader
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Thanks guys. Believe it or not I’ve actually never gone into a store and played a bunch of guitars and walked out with the one I like.

That was the main reason for looking to buy new but I do appreciate that obviously considering used will give me more options. 
    wait until 29th April and the Guitar Show hits Aston Gate again (sure you know where it is ) - should provide a decent selection of used if needs be

Must be enough new dealers in town who have good selection - PMT for starters
    BRISTOL86 said:

wait until 29th April and the Guitar Show hits Aston Gate again (sure you know where it is ) - should provide a decent selection of used if needs be

Must be enough new dealers in town who have good selection - PMT for starters
    Thanks mate. Yeah I was going to head to PMT to peruse the new section. I have an Am Special at present which I do like but I have no point of reference (and I hate the big headstock!)
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    ICBM said:
    Mexican Classic Series
    Or 80s tokai for the smaller necks
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    I'd agree about the Mexican Classic Series.  For me the best Strats have the vintage style bridge.  If you gave me a choice of a Mexican Classic Series or an American Standard (or Pro or whatever they are calling them now) I'd take the Mexican one.

The Classic Series is different from the Classic Player which has the modern style bridge.

If you have the budget, used Custom Shop would be good when you consider potential resale value.  A couple of years ago you could have got one for £1500, but with the price hikes on the new ones you might be looking at £1600 in a private sale or more from a shop now.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3909
    Is there a difference between Classic Series and Classic Player? And where do the lacquer models fit in?
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1976
    G&L or Tokai at around £600 - £800

You don't need to spend more than that for a top quality Stratocaster
  • Lebarque said:
    Is there a difference between Classic Series and Classic Player? And where do the lacquer models fit in?
    Classic Players have a two-point trem, and a modern 9.5 inch radius. Classic Series has all the golden oldies. The Classic Players get very very good user reviews. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72715
    Lebarque said:
    Classic Series are accurate vintage reissues, Classic Player have some modern upgrades, eg the 2-post bridge on the Strats.

The ‘Lacquer’ series are Classics with a nitro finish - although I would guess that like the CS ones, the bodies are nitro over polyester.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Personally I would go used Custom shop if you really do want to spend £1500.

Failing that used USA standards are always worth a look at £500 - £600.

I dont see the sense in buying new when you have a shed load of choice used.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Personally I would go used Custom shop if you really do want to spend £1500.

Failing that used USA standards are always worth a look at £500 - £600.

I dont see the sense in buying new when you have a shed load of choice used.
    It’s not that I really want to spend £1500 - just that I wouldn’t really go above that because I don’t think it’s worth it at my level of ability (plus I’m not rich!!) I’d happily spend £300 instead if it was the one that felt and sounded right for me.

I’m no label/price snob tbh. 

My reason for wanting to buy new was like I said - I’ve never been into a guitar store and just played a shedload of guitars to work out what I like the feel and sound of. Mad I know. Feels like a fundamental rite that I’ve missed out on.

Nowhere near me to get that with used gear. Even if I don’t end up buying new at least it will give me more of an inkling for what I want (this will be an only guitar after all)

Im even planning on playing guitars that aren’t Strats :open_mouth: that’ll be a first for me! Maybe I’ll walk out with something else!!
  • you can get a lot of guitar for £800 new. You can get a lot more for £800 used.
    Definitely go and waste a day playing everything you can in a shop. Its a good learning experience.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Build your own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom