Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Strats - where is the sweet spot, value wise?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    munckee said:
    thegummy said:
    munckee said:
    thegummy said:
    munckee said:
    Lebarque said:
    Is there a difference between Classic Series and Classic Player? And where do the lacquer models fit in?
    Classic Players have a two-point trem, and a modern 9.5 inch radius. Classic Series has all the golden oldies. The Classic Players get very very good user reviews. 
    I spent ages reading reviews before buying my first strat and decide the classic player 50s was for me, waited for a used one, got it and the v shape neck gave me wrist ache after playing it for a while every time.  I bought a squier standard strat and gutted it and put in the electrics I wanted and I love it.
    How come you didn't go for a mim standard?
    Because I had just bought a roadworn tele and wanted to limit my costs. Although I ended up paying roughly the same as a used MIM standard that included having pickups I wanted and new pots and cloth wire and tone on the bridge etc.  Plus because the guitar was cheap I spray painted it which I had always wanted to do and feels like a bespoke guitar.  Probably has no commercial worth but I didn't buy it to sell it.
    Nice one, got a pic?
    Here is a not brilliant pic @thegummy I deliberately didn't wetsand and buff the clear coat as I really like it with a matt finish.  It was an antique burst and I used spraypaint from amazon.  Its not finished as I was going to darken the neck with antique pine or something, however I like the 7.25 radius on my tele so much I may buy a new neck.  It has the large headstock as well and I don't love that.  The pickguard and electrics are a pre-wired guard from Axes R Us with Alnico 2's in.  I wanted it to be my surf guitar and it sounds and plays great.

https://i.imgur.com/AbaPDjb.jpg?1

Looks great!

When you said you spray painted it I was expecting maybe a rough job that still looked cool but you've done a very nice job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12438
    thegummy said:
    munckee said:
    thegummy said:
    munckee said:
    thegummy said:
    munckee said:
    Lebarque said:
    Is there a difference between Classic Series and Classic Player? And where do the lacquer models fit in?
    Classic Players have a two-point trem, and a modern 9.5 inch radius. Classic Series has all the golden oldies. The Classic Players get very very good user reviews. 
    I spent ages reading reviews before buying my first strat and decide the classic player 50s was for me, waited for a used one, got it and the v shape neck gave me wrist ache after playing it for a while every time.  I bought a squier standard strat and gutted it and put in the electrics I wanted and I love it.
    How come you didn't go for a mim standard?
    Because I had just bought a roadworn tele and wanted to limit my costs. Although I ended up paying roughly the same as a used MIM standard that included having pickups I wanted and new pots and cloth wire and tone on the bridge etc.  Plus because the guitar was cheap I spray painted it which I had always wanted to do and feels like a bespoke guitar.  Probably has no commercial worth but I didn't buy it to sell it.
    Nice one, got a pic?
    Here is a not brilliant pic @thegummy I deliberately didn't wetsand and buff the clear coat as I really like it with a matt finish.  It was an antique burst and I used spraypaint from amazon.  Its not finished as I was going to darken the neck with antique pine or something, however I like the 7.25 radius on my tele so much I may buy a new neck.  It has the large headstock as well and I don't love that.  The pickguard and electrics are a pre-wired guard from Axes R Us with Alnico 2's in.  I wanted it to be my surf guitar and it sounds and plays great.

https://i.imgur.com/AbaPDjb.jpg?1

Looks great!

When you said you spray painted it I was expecting maybe a rough job that still looked cool but you've done a very nice job.
    I was really professional, it was hung on a string in a home made cardboard spray booth and everything!  what I didn't do was strip the old paint just keyed the poly.  Will one day strip it or another back to wood and nitro just to go the whole hog.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I just have a Mexican Standard Strat and it's so good I have absolutely zero desire for a USA model. Everything about the guitar was beautiful except for the pickups so I've changed the scratchplate to an HSH configuration and installed a Creamery Classic '83 bridge, Creamery '59 neck and DiMarzio Area 61. I wouldn't change it for anything.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited January 2018
    So I bought something today 

Value for money? Probably not. But I liked the way it looked and felt, so that’s the main thing right?  

More to the point, I spent two hours sat playing things, to work out what I liked the feel of, and that’s something I’ve never done! I enjoyed it a lot!
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Pics or it didn’t happen! ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
  • Well...
    TonyR said:
    Pics or it didn’t happen! ;)
    Will get a thread up over the weekend :) 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9755
    edited January 2018
    I just have a Mexican Standard Strat and it's so good I have absolutely zero desire for a USA model. Everything about the guitar was beautiful except for the pickups so I've changed the scratchplate to an HSH configuration and installed a Creamery Classic '83 bridge, Creamery '59 neck and DiMarzio Area 61. I wouldn't change it for anything.
    Agreed about MIM Standards. Very nice guitars. I love the look the Classic series (particularly the Surf colours) and I so want to like them but can not get on with the necks. For me the Std is a far more comfortable instrument. I’ve replaced the pickups in my MIM Std with a set of Oil City StoneTones but TBH there’s not a lot wrong with the stock items. I know a few people that gig stock MIM Std Strats and/or Teles and they are more than up to the job.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14455
    tFB Trader
    BRISTOL86 said:

Value for money? Probably not. But I liked the way it looked and felt, so that’s the main thing right?  

More to the point, I spent two hours sat playing things, to work out what I liked the feel of, and that’s something I’ve never done! I enjoyed it a lot!
    sounds like you did all the right things as far as I can tell - hands and ears are the best tool to judge any guitar - eye comes 3rd for me - good news
    HAL9000 said:
    I just have a Mexican Standard Strat and it's so good I have absolutely zero desire for a USA model. Everything about the guitar was beautiful except for the pickups so I've changed the scratchplate to an HSH configuration and installed a Creamery Classic '83 bridge, Creamery '59 neck and DiMarzio Area 61. I wouldn't change it for anything.
    Agreed about MIM Standards. Very nice guitars. I love the look the Classic series (particularly the Surf colours) and so want to like them but I simply can not get on with the necks. For me the Std is a far more comfortable instrument. I’ve replaced the pickups in my MIM Std with a set of Oil City StoneTones but TBH there’s not a lot wrong with the stock items. I know a few people that gig stock MIM Std Strats and/or Teles and they are more than up to the job.
    Don't MiM Standard Strats come stock with ceramic pickups?
    BRISTOL86 said:

sounds like you did all the right things as far as I can tell - hands and ears are the best tool to judge any guitar - eye comes 3rd for me - good news
    Yeah and I don’t know if that made it better or worse to be honest. It was great playing 20 guitars but I kind of became paralysed by choice in the end! 
    tFB Trader
    BRISTOL86 said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Yeah and I don’t know if that made it better or worse to be honest. It was great playing 20 guitars but I kind of became paralysed by choice in the end! 
    I see that so many times in my own store
    BRISTOL86 said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Even when I narrowed it down to a model I had about 8 colour combinations to navigate! 

Funny as well that the colour I chose was the one that when I played it, I said ‘I like that guitar but not in that colour’ then I kept coming back to it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    BRISTOL86 said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Even when I narrowed it down to a model I had about 8 colour combinations to navigate! 

Funny as well that the colour I chose was the one that when I played it, I said ‘I like that guitar but not in that colour’ then I kept coming back to it!
    again I see that so many times - best to be open minded about it as against having a pre-determined thought pattern that you won't budge from 
    Definitely!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9755
    thegummy said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Agreed about MIM Standards. Very nice guitars. I love the look the Classic series (particularly the Surf colours) and so want to like them but I simply can not get on with the necks. For me the Std is a far more comfortable instrument. I’ve replaced the pickups in my MIM Std with a set of Oil City StoneTones but TBH there’s not a lot wrong with the stock items. I know a few people that gig stock MIM Std Strats and/or Teles and they are more than up to the job.
    Yes, but that doesn’t mean that they’re rubbish. They actually sound quite good but probably a tad hotter/brighter than you’d normally associate with a Strat.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    thegummy said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Yes, but that doesn’t mean that they’re rubbish. They actually sound quite good but probably a tad hotter/brighter than you’d normally associate with a Strat.
    I don't think they sound good, although that could be subjective.

I just thought that since very few aftermarket pickups use ceramic (I could only find a single model and it was a super hot one) that their use in the MiM Standards was purely cost-cutting.
  • thomasw88 said:
    Get a Levinson Blade.

For £800 you could get a 2nd hand RH4 which will blow apart pretty much anything else 2nd hand/new in that range.

Or go for an old Tokai Springy sound pre 1982 with the old logo.
      I had one, I sold it, managed to buy it back a few years later and I will never sell it again.

+1 for Levinson Blade.  I picked up a 1989 R2 last summer for £595 following a “heads up” on here.  It’s a ludicrously good strat by any standards.