Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Strats - where is the sweet spot, value wise?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14445
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Is there a difference between Classic Series and Classic Player? And where do the lacquer models fit in?
    Classic Players have a two-point trem, and a modern 9.5 inch radius. Classic Series has all the golden oldies. The Classic Players get very very good user reviews. 
    think it is 12" on the 60's spec model and 9.5" on the 50's model - for some reason

IMO they are the best non USA Strat you can buy - maybe they aren't perfect, but what is at that price, but they have a lot going for them - I still prefer a 6 screw trem assembly to a 2 point, but such is the rest of the qualities of a Classic Player that I can be more than content with it

Try a few out and see what floats your boat - but these and other comments above are all valid and worth pursuing

@Bristol86 - good luck next week against MCFC - I dare say most of the country is behind you - and even more, good luck this week against DCFC I'm certainly cheering you on for this one 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Ok let’s have some fun with this....!

For someone who has only ever played Strats - what should I be trying out to confirm whether or not I actually do want a Strat?! What may change my mind?!

I play about 90% mangled John Mayer riffs but I also like some rockier/more driven stuff too like GNR, Aerosmith, Gary Moore... 

This will be my only guitar by the way so I think versatility is quite a big win! 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    lonestar said:
    Build your own.
    Much more fun that way!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    you can get a lot of guitar for £800 new. You can get a lot more for £800 used.
    Definitely go and waste a day playing everything you can in a shop. Its a good learning experience.
    Definitely!

lonestar said:
    Build your own.
    Definitely not :lol: 

Thanks @guitars4you I’m so thrilled that we’re still in the tie! It’s a long shot but we have to believe we can do it! 

Be glad when it’s all over either way, it’s costing us our shot at the autos :(

Derby away is massive, I can’t see us getting anything - 3 straight defeats now and they’re in excellent form. 8 point gap from them in 2nd to us if we lose there, will be a big blow 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    BRISTOL86 said:

For someone who has only ever played Strats - what should I be trying out to confirm whether or not I actually do want a Strat?! What may change my mind?!

I play about 90% mangled John Mayer riffs but I also like some rockier/more driven stuff too like GNR, Aerosmith, Gary Moore... 

This will be my only guitar by the way so I think versatility is quite a big win! 
    I believe the answer is a Telecaster.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

I believe the answer is a Telecaster.
    I knew someone was going to say that :lol: 
  • +1 Telecaster. Plated a strat for years. Got a tele, ended up going through lots of different strats only to realise that unless it has a humbucker in the bridge it ain't as good as a Telecaster (for me)
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Definitely go and waste a day playing everything you can in a shop. Its a good learning experience.
    Definitely!

lonestar said:
    Build your own.

And for  £800 you can get a custom Strat put together made out of the same materials the major companies use (and in most cases, better) ;)
    lonestar said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Definitely!

lonestar said:
    Build your own.

And for  £800 you can get a custom Strat put together made out of the same materials the major companies use (and in most cases, better) ;)
    I don’t doubt that for a second mate. But believe me when I tell you that my skill set doesn’t lie in this area!!!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12433
    Lebarque said:
    Is there a difference between Classic Series and Classic Player? And where do the lacquer models fit in?
    Classic Players have a two-point trem, and a modern 9.5 inch radius. Classic Series has all the golden oldies. The Classic Players get very very good user reviews. 
    I spent ages reading reviews before buying my first strat and decide the classic player 50s was for me, waited for a used one, got it and the v shape neck gave me wrist ache after playing it for a while every time.  I bought a squier standard strat and gutted it and put in the electrics I wanted and I love it.
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    edited January 2018
    @BRISTOL86 - I have a G&L S500 tribute (Strat with extra switching positions) and visit Bristol fairly frequently, so if you want to try it PM me and we can sort something out.

I also have a G&L Bluesboy tribute (Tele with a neck HB) if you want to give it a go.
    Thanks @TADodger !

I really want to do the whole ‘spend 5 hours pissing all the staff in PMT off’ thing but when I’ve done that I’m likely to have a much better idea of what I want :) 
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    If PMT Bristol is anything like Birmingham then you should have a great five hours....
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    munckee said:
    Lebarque said:
    I spent ages reading reviews before buying my first strat and decide the classic player 50s was for me, waited for a used one, got it and the v shape neck gave me wrist ache after playing it for a while every time.  I bought a squier standard strat and gutted it and put in the electrics I wanted and I love it.
    How come you didn't go for a mim standard?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7816
    @BRISTOL86 if you have only ever played strats then you should spend a day testing all the classic models. I thought I was a strat guy until I played a Tele.

So start with 
    Tele, Les Paul, SG maybe a jazzmaster and Jaguar too.

For me the Tele is so nice. No trem faff. Great sounding clean, break up and up rock tones.

Loads of option single coil, p90, lp style. A well setup baja (the one with 4 way switch and seymour duncan pups) is a lot of guitar for the money. Also like the cabronita.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12430
    For your budget you could get a classic strat and a classic Tele. I’ve got the classic 50s Tele and I love it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    @BRISTOL86 if you have only ever played strats then you should spend a day testing all the classic models. I thought I was a strat guy until I played a Tele.

So start with 
    Tele, Les Paul, SG maybe a jazzmaster and Jaguar too.

For me the Tele is so nice. No trem faff. Great sounding clean, break up and up rock tones.

Loads of option single coil, p90, lp style. A well setup baja (the one with 4 way switch and seymour duncan pups) is a lot of guitar for the money. Also like the cabronita.

Definitely! I’m really looking forward to spending some time playing anything and everything.!
    For your budget you could get a classic strat and a classic Tele. I’ve got the classic 50s Tele and I love it.
    I did think about that but at this point in time I want to be very much a one guitar guy. I have enough distractions from actually getting better at playing it as it is without the agony of which guitar to play!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7816
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I did think about that but at this point in time I want to be very much a one guitar guy. I have enough distractions from actually getting better at playing it as it is without the agony of which guitar to play!
    Nah, don't be a one guitar guy. I think 2 makes a lot of sense.
    Strat/Tele with LP/SG in any combination will give you a huge range of tones, plus if you do ever gig, you will have a backup to take along.

Stick with 2 though - after that comes GAS madness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom