Fender American Original Series

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    Watching those video reviews, I do have a slight reservation... I wouldn't mind a bit of a vintage tint on the maple necks.  They look rather too shiny and anaemic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    The opposite for me, I prefer the maple to look as light in colour as possible, especially on a white body Strat.

and Andertons video still here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0XatUaoHtw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2383
    dbphoto said:
    The opposite for me, I prefer the maple to look as light in colour as possible, especially on a white body Strat.

Its been edited..lol.
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    Can anyone confirm these have a poly undercoat?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    I'd rather stay away from Fender nitro TBH.

Absolutely rubbish with bits flaking off and looking awful. Maybe something to do with California emission laws?

People moan about Gibson but at least their nitro paint stays on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2383
    They changed from the dreaded flash coat @Neil so hopefully the regular nitro won't flake off like that did. You'd expect a poly undercoat @humbucko . Maybe @MattFGBI can confirm.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I believe the undercoat is no longer nitro based. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Surely the whole point of a Nitro finish is that it will age in a nice way, naturally relic.

If you want it to look spankers for the next 50 years a poly coat would do that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Strat54 said:
    dbphoto said:

Its been edited..lol.

What has been edited out - the bit about the fretboard cap or the bit about poly undercoat?
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9317
    There’s no reason that nitro should flake in the way that the av line did unless Fender weren’t leaving it long enough to cure. My guess is, they rushed the old nitro finished which caused the problem and they’ve reverted to poly so they can rush the guitars out and cut costs. Bit of a shame on a £1,650 Guitar, especially when as has been pointed out, other makers can deal with nitro. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    chris78 said:
    There’s no reason that nitro should flake in the way that the av line did unless Fender weren’t leaving it long enough to cure. My guess is, they rushed the old nitro finished which caused the problem and they’ve reverted to poly so they can rush the guitars out and cut costs. Bit of a shame on a £1,650 Guitar, especially when as has been pointed out, other makers can deal with nitro. 
    Original pre-CBS Strats used an under coat (‘Fullerplast’) which I believe was poly. The top coats were nitro.

If I understand correctly - these are the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602

Original pre-CBS Strats used an under coat (‘Fullerplast’) which I believe was poly. The top coats were nitro.

Pretty much this. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jamesjames Frets: 50
    Oh wow, that LBP Tele looks perfect. I've wanted an 'upgrade' to my perfectly decent Japanese Tele, and this could be it! 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    I think the turquoise Jazzmaster looks mint. Can't be many occasions when a major guitar manufacturer actually gets things right during a major model revamp.

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited January 2018
    chris78 said:

OMG  scream  so even pre-CBS Fenders aren't able to breath. How do all the mojo tonez get out?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It does flake very easily,  but weirdly doesn't show much arm wear 
  • I suspect the finish might be similar or the same as on the recent lacquer finished Classic models which was nitro over poly.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    edited January 2018
    Fozz said:
    These have now been officially announced with prices and specs up on the Fender website:

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/american-original

I think they hit a real sweet spot, vintage vibe with modern radius at a price comparable with the American pros. It definitely would make me think twice about spending £3k on a custom shop.

Shame they entirely replace the American Vintage though, rather than sit alongside it like the Mexican classic/classic players.

is this right, these guitars replace the AV RI 52 tele's?
    tae be or not tae be
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    edited January 2018
    Nitro may scuff up quicker but the best sounding guitars I've had have been poly and the best basses were oil, but they weren't Fender.

The best thing about this series is the fact that there's lake placid blue with 9.5" radius...But as mentioned on another thread here, some of the rosewood fingerboards on the recent Fender AV series have been pretty darn awful.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    hootsmon said:.

is this right, these guitars replace the AV RI 52 tele's?
    Yes