Fender American Original Series

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I’m slightly in love with the Ocean Turquoise JM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9393
    chris78 said:
    There’s no reason that nitro should flake in the way that the av line did unless Fender weren’t leaving it long enough to cure. My guess is, they rushed the old nitro finished which caused the problem and they’ve reverted to poly so they can rush the guitars out and cut costs. Bit of a shame on a £1,650 Guitar, especially when as has been pointed out, other makers can deal with nitro. 
    Original pre-CBS Strats used an under coat (‘Fullerplast’) which I believe was poly. The top coats were nitro.

If I understand correctly - these are the same.
    That’s true. They used a very thin coat as a sealer. If Fender are doing this with the original series, nobody is going to have a problem with that. If they’re doing what they do with the mex lacquers which is putting a thickish coat of poly on and a thin nitro over the top, that’ll be disappointing.
    I’d just like Fender to be a bit more honest about what finish they’re using
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    Worth remembering that pre-CBS Lake Placid Blue was acrylic not nitro... the guitars that got shot with a nitro clear coat on top tended to turn green over time, the ones that didn’t tended to stay blue. Having spent some time with a couple of American Original guitars this week (full review next issue, ahem) I’d suggest that the finishes (thin poly base coat then nitro) are more robust and less prone to chipping/flaking than the flash coats but not too thick either... the metallics look absolutely glorious in the flesh. Also, fair play to Fender, some of the range are actually cheaper than the MSRPs of 2017 American Vintage equivalents. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Hopefully they'll replace the "Pro" series next and soon.
  • Think we are going to see a lot of LPB Teles flying around. My fave colour but I hope it doesnt take away the wow factor of this great colour given that this a far from common colour in the fender spectrum...  all they need is an LPB Strat and we will all be drowning in Lake PB!!
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Babones said:
    The Pro series only came out last year, doubt it's going to be replaced anytime soon. If anything the emergence of the Original series is part of the same range overhaul that the Pro series is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    chris78 said:
    chris78 said:
    There’s no reason that nitro should flake in the way that the av line did unless Fender weren’t leaving it long enough to cure. My guess is, they rushed the old nitro finished which caused the problem and they’ve reverted to poly so they can rush the guitars out and cut costs. Bit of a shame on a £1,650 Guitar, especially when as has been pointed out, other makers can deal with nitro. 
    Original pre-CBS Strats used an under coat (‘Fullerplast’) which I believe was poly. The top coats were nitro.

If I understand correctly - these are the same.
    That’s true. They used a very thin coat as a sealer. If Fender are doing this with the original series, nobody is going to have a problem with that. If they’re doing what they do with the mex lacquers which is putting a thickish coat of poly on and a thin nitro over the top, that’ll be disappointing.
    I’d just like Fender to be a bit more honest about what finish they’re using
    Is there anything definitive as to just how thick the poly sealer on the Mex Lacquer range is vs old Fender poly sealer or is it all just supposition?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Octafish said:
    Babones said:
    The Pro series only came out last year, doubt it's going to be replaced anytime soon. If anything the emergence of the Original series is part of the same range overhaul that the Pro series is.
    The Pro, Elite and Original ranges make a pretty good trio of choices for us. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    chrisv said:
    Worth remembering that pre-CBS Lake Placid Blue was acrylic not nitro... the guitars that got shot with a nitro clear coat on top tended to turn green over time, the ones that didn’t tended to stay blue. Having spent some time with a couple of American Original guitars this week (full review next issue, ahem) I’d suggest that the finishes (thin poly base coat then nitro) are more robust and less prone to chipping/flaking than the flash coats but not too thick either... the metallics look absolutely glorious in the flesh. Also, fair play to Fender, some of the range are actually cheaper than the MSRPs of 2017 American Vintage equivalents. 
    Yes, the MSRP is lower than the American Vintage. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    chrisv said:
    Liked your Tele demo on Youtube.

I want one.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Octafish said:
    Babones said:
    The Pro series only came out last year, doubt it's going to be replaced anytime soon.
    I know that. I'm just expressing my opinion, that I don't think it's a good series. 
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Seeing a fair few AVRI reissues being sold ahead of these. Is there a general consensus / feeling to wait for these or pick up a used AVRI? 
  • antifash said:
    Seeing a fair few AVRI reissues being sold ahead of these. Is there a general consensus / feeling to wait for these or pick up a used AVRI? 
    Think the main factor will be the 7.25 vs 9.5 radius boards.  Depends what you prefer - if you even have a preference
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    @lovestrat74 7.25” for sure. 
  • antifash said:
    Then it's AVRI all the way for you!  There's a lovely 65 RI Strat on ebay if you have a spare £1200
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antifash said:
    Then it's AVRI all the way for you!  There's a lovely 65 RI Strat on ebay if you have a spare £1200
    NIce one on here as well

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/98177/fs-fender-avri-65-stratocaster-in-shoreline-gold/p1
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    @MattFGBI ;  Did you find out any more about the compensated saddles. its very clear in this image.....

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/ZoomJpg/10001/0110132850_gtr_frtbdydtl_001_nr.jpg
  • Strat54 said:
    @MattFGBI ;  Did you find out any more about the compensated saddles. its very clear in this image.....

I think he said they would come with normal saddles earlier in this thread. They seem to be difference in the promo shots, not sure why.
  • antifash said:
    NIce one on here as well

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/98177/fs-fender-avri-65-stratocaster-in-shoreline-gold/p1
    V.Nice! I've got a CS 65 Relic in Dakota red. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406