Chorus pedals?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
I don't do chorus pedals as a rule, but I'm currently loving the "Chorus Ensemble" setting on the Jamup app, which is apparently based on the CE-1, despite its icon being blue and looking like a CE-5. Anyway... 

I remember being blown away by a CE1 an the Gigrig's stand at a London guitar show years ago, so now I'm wondering does anything remotely affordable come close to that sound? Even better, is there a kit available? BYOC do a CE2 kit. Might that fit the bill?
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Voodoo Labs Chorus - based on CE2
    John Hollis Zombie Chorus - does CE-1 and Small Clone.
    Early Small Clone - with the MN3001 chip in - or a copy there-of.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I can't remember what it's a clone of (something Boss) but the Mooer Chorus is wicked good.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    Google says the Mooer is a CE2 clone. Shame it does't run on batteries too. Might be better off getting an old beat-to-hell CE2 when one pops up on ebay
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2013
    The next Mooer Chorus to appear in the classifieds is mine....ok? Just making that clear :P
    The next Mooer Chorus to appear in the clasifieds is mine....ok? Just making that clear :P
    I'm in no hurry. Just spitballing really. Honest! I havent' even tried the choruses in the M9
    EdGrip said:
    That looks a great build but sourcing parts to here is impossible- there's not even a proper post service. I'd only be looking at a single buy- either a kit or whole pedal!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28522
    The DC-2 is provably* the best chorus pedal.

*for certain definitions of "provably".
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    The MXR Micro Chorus is pretty good too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Also the AM Chorus is a Small Clone .. clone done really well - so that'd be very nice.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I preferred the MXR Micro Chorus over the Boss chorus pedals. having said that, the Boss models aren't bad, and I would happily use/gig one without worrying about the sound being bad, or worrying about reliability.

BTW I've only had 3 chorus pedals, the MXR, which I currently use, and 2 Boss models.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    I *much* prefer the Micro-Chorus over the Boss ones. It just sounds more natural and has a wider range of useful settings. In fact, *all* its settings are useful, and I'm not being funny just because it only has one knob. There isn't a bad setting on it.

I will stick my neck out and say that I nominated the CE-2 in the 'great pedals you don't get' thread. I can't get a sound I like out of it, it's always too 'sickly' sounding... like having too much chocolate in a pudding or something. Yes, I know it's the classic 80s chorus...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Have you tried some of the old MIJ '80s 4 knob analogue jobbies?  I use a pearl CH-02 which was a bargainous £25 off t'bay. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7812
    edited August 2013
    Sporky said:

assuming this is the "DC-2" you meant, I agree.

;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2013
    The Diamond Halo is a clone of the CE-1, albeit with a few extra controls.  Personally I don't think the CE-2 can touch the CE-1.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Paul_C said:
    Sporky said:

assuming this is the "DC-2" you meant, I agree.

;)
    I'm guessing that you meant to post a picture of this:
    :)

I would choose the Ibanez BC9 as my fave chorus, but due to the fact that they are quite rare and I don't want to break mine I have retired mine from my board.
    After several attempts to replace it I have settled (for now!) on a Mooer (lovely little thing) and a Boss CE2B. Both pedals worked out cheaper than a replacement BC9!

• JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    MXR Micro Chorus, I have an original & it sounds great all the way round the dial, warm shimmery, glassy, wurlitzer sounds to be found.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    Analogman BiChorus is a great tone for around £150 used.
    Having a listen to the Micro Chorus on youtube. Obviously not the best sound quality, but it sounds really good to my ears.
    I'd love to A/B that against my Fulltone CF-1 ... the bichorus so lush and swirl on two presets.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Personally I still love my Yamaha CH-01... I've had it since [counts on fingers] 1983 and have never heard anything I like more :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...