Chorus pedals?

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@StickyFiddle ; The micro chorus is (IMO) the best general use chorus pedal available.  By general use, I mean it does everything well, rather than being great for one thing, and a bit lack-lustre on others

I found the Boss units did the 80's thing really well, but other things were a little (for want of a better word) off.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9669
    Is there a chorus sound that's not an "80s thing"? 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28532
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited August 2013
    Sporky said:
    Silly boys. [Boss DC2 Dimension C]
    My fave too.  But I've become a bit nervous about taking it to gigs so I have a Badgerific chorus on the board these days.

I don't know what he cloned but it's very good.  Except the foot switch makes a bit of an electronic click, other than that, very nice.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited August 2013
    The CE-2 is one of my faves but somehow it doesn't work with my t/b pedals and sounded weird and got a volume drop.

I'm finding the TC Corona pretty good at covering most chorus sounds, including CE-2 and Dimension D stuff, plus it can do faux leslie pretty well and then you have the versatility of the toneprint and its editor. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7812
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • CruzCruz Frets: 0
    It's not cheap (although is still cheaper than the real one), but retro sonic's chorus is quite a decent CE-1 clone. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Sporky said:
    Silly boys.
    Nice one @Sporky.
    One quick (serious) question though, what is the difference between Dimension C and Dimension D ?

The D is digital so has less cork-sniffy appeal, and if I remember correctly (I had both at one point) is far more flexible as it has 4 knobs rather than just five sounds. It got awfully close to those sounds though. I just really liked the simplicity of the C, and got a slightly scruffy one (described as mint, not a mark on it' but I stopped counting at 80 chips in the paint) for a perfectly sensible price.
    edited August 2013

Nice one @Sporky.
    One quick (serious) question though, what is the difference between Dimension C and Dimension D ?
    Sure you're [Sporky] not thinking of the Digital Dimension which had knobs and was digital like you say.  The Dimension D was a ferkin' great big rack unit which also had four push buttons like the Dimension C.  I used one for a year or so (it belonged to a keyboard player I used to work with) then the C came out which was identical in sound but in a stomp box. 

I've no idea why someone hasn't cloned these things.  They are very subtle, maybe people want more swirlyness!  In stereo they are even nicer.  And like I say, I don't think there's actually a difference in sound between the Dimension D and the Dimension C.  Nothing that I could hear anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Grunfeld said:
    I've no idea why someone hasn't cloned these things.

Not sure quite how it would compare... but I've been eyeing one of these up for a little while after missing out on a cheap(-ish) original a while back.
    Jaded said:

Not sure quite how it would compare... but I've been eyeing one of these up for a little while after missing out on a cheap(-ish) original a while back.
    Well in a little while I'll let you know.  Just taken a punt on one, I'll A/B 'em.

If it is like the Dimension C then happy days!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Grunfeld said:

Sure you're [Sporky] not thinking of the Digital Dimension which had knobs and was digital like you say.  The Dimension D was a ferkin' great big rack unit which also had four push buttons like the Dimension C. 
    Doh - you're absolutely right, sorry!
    Very interesting information - @Sporky  @Grunfeld @Jaded - I'll have to check all those out.

I asked as I think I still have a Dimension D rack stashed away from my "previous life". (might even be worth a couple of quid by now)

It was just astonishingly beautiful, so it would be fantastic to have one in a pedal, I look forward to that review Grunfeld.

BTW does any one on here know how they worked, and what made them sound so nice, and so different to normal chorus?

I think partly it's that all the settings have very, very slow sweeps.
    Hey @Sporky, thanks for that - and even with "mint with mega chips" your Dimension C is still a thing of beauty, and I bet it sounds lovely  :)

That wasn't a picture of mine. Imagine that one after being attacked with a machinegun. I'll dig it out...
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7812
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Ye gods!

I paid about a third of that for mine.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Has been mentioned above already but the TC Corona Chorus is very good and very versatile with all the toneprints available.