little things online sellers add to their listings that don't do anything for you.

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

What's the history of the guitar?

Was it made in Japan?

Its got different (something) to the one I've see/played. Why?

Will you post? (After the ad has made it very clear that I will not post).

Are these as good as/how do these compare to (unrelated guitar)?

Any trades? (After the ad has made it very clear that you don't want any trades)?

Does it have a case? (After your ad and pictures make no mention of a case - do I have to list all the things it DOESN'T include? Case, stand, strap, pick, capo, spare strings, cleaning kit, slide, fretfile...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    "Here we have a great example of" like I'm suddenly watching an episode of the Antiques Roadshow.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ideal for beginner!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    scrumhalf said:
    Sassafras said:
    As soon as they call a guitar 'she' I feel so sick I can't carry on reading all the way through whatever else they say.
    This
    Can you misgender a guitar?
    Well imagine if you refer to it as a she and it identifies as a he or a hermaphrodite, then you'd be in trouble!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    I'm always happy to see pet and smoke free home. Heavy smoking indoors really impregnates everything.
    Maybe but I don't get the pet bit ..........If I ever catch our Dachshound plugging my Les Paul into my Lazy J without making sure the valves have had chance to warm up I'll be very pissed off and confiscate her Tubescreamer !
     The bit that annoys me is CASE CANDY .........what a stupid Americanism and how sheeplike the fools that repeat this silly phrase.
     And what is it ?........A worthless paper hang tag,2 plectrums , a case key, An Alan key (in plastic packet ) and sometimes even a pretty crappy tweed/ worsted guitar lead .......................what a load of bollocks
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Selling for a friend.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    munckee said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Sassafras said:
    As soon as they call a guitar 'she' I feel so sick I can't carry on reading all the way through whatever else they say.
    This
    Can you misgender a guitar?
    Well imagine if you refer to it as a she and it identifies as a he or a hermaphrodite, then you'd be in trouble!
    My new Les Paul will be raised gender-neutral
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    thegummy said:

It’s lucky that Les is a gender-neutral name, or that might cause problems for him/her later.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:

It’s lucky that Les is a gender-neutral name, or that might cause problems for him/her later.
    That reminds me actually, I want to see if it's possible to buy a "Lester" truss-rod cover
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Brand New Les Paul (not a copy) Gold pick ups ,gold machine heads, real solid silver strings, Makes the tea and puts the bins out. Gives blow jobs like £10,000 an hour prossy

Unwanted Gift!
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Chalky said:
    Ok, from a sellers point of view, the questions I love:

What's the history of the guitar?

Was it made in Japan?

Its got different (something) to the one I've see/played. Why?

Will you post? (After the ad has made it very clear that I will not post).

Are these as good as/how do these compare to (unrelated guitar)?

Any trades? (After the ad has made it very clear that you don't want any trades)?

Does it have a case? (After your ad and pictures make no mention of a case - do I have to list all the things it DOESN'T include? Case, stand, strap, pick, capo, spare strings, cleaning kit, slide, fretfile...
    Actually, depending on the value of the guitar, a case might be seen as essential.

If you are asking me to pay a fair amount of £££ on a reasonably recent guitar, I expect the original case*. Not “comes without case” or even replacement “cheap Stagg soft case”.

If its a cheapy Squire, Westone or suchlike, its not an issue. If its an expensive PRS, then you can go skwish yourself if that hard case is home for something else.

*Actually, if a guitar came to you with a case (hard, soft, whatever) then at least have the decency to sell it with that case!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I chuckle when the seller says that it's the best guitar he's ever owned or played but he's got too many guitars and it needs to go. Would you sell your best guitar? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Wolfetone said:
    I chuckle when the seller says that it's the best guitar he's ever owned or played but he's got too many guitars and it needs to go. Would you sell your best guitar? 
    I did.

It was the best, but I just didn't love it or have any reason to keep it.

You have one just like it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    Sifned by Peter Andre...still no letter between f and h on a keyboard but there is history to this uitar
    he bouht it at a charity auction for £251 and is now tryin to sell it on ebay for £250 if he told you the history of
    how he ot the uitar and ave the money to charity he mite sell it ..
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    Hope you ot that..
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    “Selling for a friend, I don’t know anything about guitars” meaning “I’ve played for years and this is my get out Clause for selling you a piece of shit that I wish I’d never set eyes on”.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Clashman said:
    Sifned by Peter Andre...still no letter between f and h on a keyboard but there is history to this uitar
    he bouht it at a charity auction for £251 and is now tryin to sell it on ebay for £250 if he told you the history of
    Use the ASCII codes to print the missing letter, in your case G.  Hold down the Alt key and type 71 [for G] or 103 [for g] on the keyboard numpad.

The full set of ASCII codes:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS2LCR/Flash_10.0/help.html?content=00000520.html

From the dim and distant past when I was part of the IT section supporting users running MS-DOS, UNIX, ZENIX and OS 2....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    Clashman said:
    Use the ASCII codes to print the missing letter, in your case G.  Hold down the Alt key and type 71 [for G] or 103 [for g] on the keyboard numpad.

The full set of ASCII codes:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS2LCR/Flash_10.0/help.html?content=00000520.html

From the dim and distant past when I was part of the IT section supporting users running MS-DOS, UNIX, ZENIX and OS 2....
    Or just copy paste one!
  • matt.drink73matt.drink73 Frets: 153
    edited January 2018
    That being said I personally can't stand people online that seem to be a self appointed guitar shop that buy guitars cheap, take some slightly better photos and add a load of stars and stupid stuff to the listing title and then bump up the price.

I had a guy a couple of years ago that was 'interested' on a US Strat I was selling really aggressively fighting me on the price. I only paid £475 for it luckily and I needed the cash so sold it on to him for £425. I then found it listed on gumtree that night for £665 along side another 30 odd guitars with some slightly different photos and the listing saying how it played like a dream etc (it needed a lot of fret work and time putting in, hence me not keeping it). 
    The best part is that 2 years later he still has it on gumtree for £665!

Leave the trading to shops