Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chapman Guitars at NAMM

What's Hot

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Whitecat said:
    grungebob said:
    With the range of finance deals Andertons will offer on these they’ll shift a fair few to the fan boys. You only need to read the comments on the videos to see the amount of sheeple willing to hand over cash, saying you and doing it are two different things but even if 10% of them do that’s the first years sales tied up for you. 
    Just imagine how you’d feel in your 40s if you ruined your credit rating in your 20s over one of these...
    It’ll happen. Not me I might add, already JUST into my 40’s last week and I’ll never buy a chapman at those prices 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    antifash said:
    @AlexC  Good opportunity for a rant / moan / vent. Also, people definitely have beef with other guitar makers.

Wis’d.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396

AlexC said:
    A guitar is a guitar is a guitar. Good ones. Bad ones. Ones you like. Ones you don’t. What’s the company owner’s ‘celebrity’ or ‘personality’ got to do with it?
    Because the greatest part of the purchase price of most guitars is the 'added value' created by marketing, be this buying a guitar because it has the 'right' name on the head stock, or because the company is able to draw on associations between a certain model and great players of the past who played the same instrument, or whatever. With Chapman where does the 'added value' come from that justifies the likely prices of these new models, and makes buying a Chapman preferable to having a 'boutique' guitar built to one's specifications for the same or less money? That added value would seem to focus pretty much exclusively on the web persona of Chapman himself, and for me (and it seems many others) that 'added value' is worth approximately zero!
    Earlier in the thread I said myself that these guitars seem too expensive (to me, at least) and asked who they’re aimed at. If the price hike is because this guy is on the net then I get why people would be pissed off at that. Personally, if I had £8 grand to spend on a guitar then I would, as you say, get one built for me. And probably have some change for a new amp too. But then I’m a bit out on a limb as a player because I don’t own either a Fender or a Gibson among the 8 guitars I own. But that’s another story... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    How much are Fender masterbuilds? 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    RMJ said:
    Also too much nowadays. :)
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Couldnt read 10 pages of Chapman who is making them how much are they? 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Whitecat said:
    RMJ said:
    Also too much nowadays. :)
    Hmmm 6k and upwards according to quick Google search. 
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    capo4th said:

SimsCustom (possibly) and around £3500 (starting at?)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    dindude said:
    If this "just" the British Standard range, think how much the British Professional Range will be!
    I'm holding out for their Sub Standard range. 
    Built on a submarine, but in British territorial waters.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    dbphoto said:
    capo4th said:

SimsCustom (possibly) and around £3500 (starting at?)
    Wow the residuals will be truly shocking 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Aye.

I have bought a few £3k guitars new and only just managed to get around £2k when selling, and they had Gibson or PRS on headstock!

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    AlexC said:
    What’s the company owner’s ‘celebrity’ or ‘personality’ got to do with it?
    When the company is nothing more than a wheeler-dealer middle-man I think quite a lot. I'm sure that the guitars will be absolutely stunning in all respects. The thing is you could just go to Sims and get the same thing without the Chappers and Andertons markups. Why would anyone give Rob Chapman money for nothing which is essentially what you're doing if you buy one of these guitars?
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Plectrum said:
    AlexC said:
    What’s the company owner’s ‘celebrity’ or ‘personality’ got to do with it?
    When the company is nothing more than a wheeler-dealer middle-man I think quite a lot. I'm sure that the guitars will be absolutely stunning in all respects. The thing is you could just go to Sims and get the same thing without the Chappers and Andertons markups. Why would anyone give Rob Chapman money for nothing which is essentially what you're doing if you buy one of these guitars?
    Would a Sims or Chappers logo hold more value?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    grungebob said:
    Whitecat said:
    grungebob said:
    With the range of finance deals Andertons will offer on these they’ll shift a fair few to the fan boys. You only need to read the comments on the videos to see the amount of sheeple willing to hand over cash, saying you and doing it are two different things but even if 10% of them do that’s the first years sales tied up for you. 
    Just imagine how you’d feel in your 40s if you ruined your credit rating in your 20s over one of these...
    It’ll happen. Not me I might add, already JUST into my 40’s last week and I’ll never buy a chapman at those prices 
    Do people really worry about credit ratings and shit? Serious question. I’ve never known or cared about mine, but it’s everywhere now.. Is it all hype, or what..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Also, I keep looking at those Patrick James Eggle guitars. Damn!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    usedtobe said:
    grungebob said:
    Whitecat said:
    grungebob said:
    Do people really worry about credit ratings and shit? Serious question. I’ve never known or cared about mine, but it’s everywhere now.. Is it all hype, or what..?
    Yes. Maintaining a good one means you can get mortgages, 0% finance offers, cheaper loans on cars (or bank loans for anything else), just to name a few things. Your quality of life is significantly improved by staying within your means and having a few sources of credit to hand (ie, a credit card you pay off every month). 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    usedtobe said:
    I don't give a damn about mine, but virtually everybody who will lend me money does care about my credit rating: mortgages, car and other big purchase loans, what my APR % will be in various loans and so forth. It's so important that years ago I got a credit card that I pay 100% every month just to show I'm good for paying back what I borrow.
  • Actually, paying off your credit card every month DOESN'T get you as good a rating as paying the bare minimum every month. Someone I know who works in that field told me they prefer it if you don't pay it off every month because they don't make money from you that way.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    edited February 2018

One other though about the PRS comparisons.  When PRS launched his factory production in 1985, Gibson and Fender were in the toilet.  There was a gap in the market that isn't there now.  It would have been a lot easier to start out selling high quality guitars then.  PRS, and possibly Suhr/Anderson, had the market to themselves.

These days, with some very good stuff from the Fender and Gibson custom shops, not to mention PRS/Suhr/Anderson etc it's a much more crowded market place.

I'm also not sure they could benefit from the Santana effect in the same way as PRS did.  The whole guitar hero thing seems to have died a bit.  Even if they got a name player on board, it probably wouldn't have the same effect.

• crunchman said:

I'm also not sure they could benefit from the Santana effect in the same way as PRS did.  The whole guitar hero thing seems to have died a bit.  Even if they got a name player on board, it probably wouldn't have the same effect.

...and thanks to Bonamassa et al, people are a lot more cynical about big-name endorsements these days.
    <space for hire>