Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chapman Guitars at NAMM

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    crunchman said:

I'm also not sure they could benefit from the Santana effect in the same way as PRS did.  The whole guitar hero thing seems to have died a bit.  Even if they got a name player on board, it probably wouldn't have the same effect.

...and thanks to Bonamassa et al, people are a lot more cynical about big-name endorsements these days.

Manson have benefitted from the Matt Bellamy connection, but they haven't taken over the world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5422
    Actually, paying off your credit card every month DOESN'T get you as good a rating as paying the bare minimum every month. Someone I know who works in that field told me they prefer it if you don't pay it off every month because they don't make money from you that way.
    It will depend on the lender and the product - a "rating" is fluid as every bank scores differently and has different preferences in their customers. Higher-interest credit cards will likely prefer what you describe - getting a second credit card might actually be easier if you have one already with a balance.

But if it comes time to get a mortgage, because you have to undergo strict affordability testing, they much prefer zero balances on cards. Outstanding balances and a history of minimum payments only mean you will qualify for less money because they will think you can't afford higher mortgage payments.

So don't "bank on" one thing or another... cards still make money from you just using them in the first place.
  • I'm absolutely certain that if I trawl through the "show us your guitar" threads here there's absolutely, definitely, 100% no way I would find dozens of guitars that people paid over the odds for because of the name on the headstock. No-sir-ee... ;-)

I'm not convinced that these will sell particularly well. But I'm also not convinced that's the point. They've generated massive publicity and they will potentially help the Chapman "brand" become more aspirational. I doubt there are massive upfront costs involved for anyone. 

• baldybaldy Frets: 195
    Well 11 pages in & still going.
    Personally I think that if some people want to buy these guitars then fair enough as it is their money to spend after all.
    I have seen some of "Chappers" Anderton"s review videos & personally don"t like them as though he can obviously play I don"t like the continual random noodling he does.
    I much prefer Rabbea"s videos as he generally plays tunes I recognise.
    I have also seen some of "Chappers" YT general guitar advice videos & TBH don"t think that they are to bad.
    Are these new "high" end Chapman guitars worth the price, who knows, possibly, possibly not, but until more details are available & people have played them I think it is hard to make a call.
    Can you buy better guitars for the same money, probably.
    I think that despite what anyone on here says if people want to buy them, for what ever reason, they will.
    I don"t think that the venture is much of a financial risk for Chapman & it has certainly already got him a lot of publicity.
    What is the saying, "all publicity is good publicity" or words to that effect ?
    Just my thoughts from a "beginner" just learning to play guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm absolutely certain that if I trawl through the "show us your guitar" threads here there's absolutely, definitely, 100% no way I would find dozens of guitars that people paid over the odds for because of the name on the headstock. No-sir-ee... ;-)

I'm not convinced that these will sell particularly well. But I'm also not convinced that's the point. They've generated massive publicity and they will potentially help the Chapman "brand" become more aspirational. I doubt there are massive upfront costs involved for anyone. 

Spot-on. It's a good marketing move with probably quite low associated costs. Even if they only sell a few then it's hard to see a real downside.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    I don't think he has to sell many to make money on the venture. 

These are the flagship range so the fans will see Chapman guitars as a high end product which will encourage sales of the more affordable guitars while the British Standards will be mostly aspirational.

A bit like Gibson and Epiphone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    Ah beaten to it! :)
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I reckon Rob's playing the long game and he and Lee have their eye on market domination. Wait and see this time next year he will be announcing the debut of his 'entry level' line a la Squier, LTD and Epiphone etc.
  • I keep reading about the "massive" publicity they've generated, but aside from this forum I've not seen or heard a mention.  Where's all this massive publicity taking place?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OnTheHunt said:
    I keep reading about the "massive" publicity they've generated, but aside from this forum I've not seen or heard a mention.  Where's all this massive publicity taking place?

I know. Is anyone on this thread thinking of buying a Chapman in any form? I'm curious.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    OnTheHunt said:
    I keep reading about the "massive" publicity they've generated, but aside from this forum I've not seen or heard a mention.  Where's all this massive publicity taking place?

I just checked and he's got 626,000 YouTube subscribers.  That's pretty good publicity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited February 2018
    OnTheHunt said:
    I know. Is anyone on this thread thinking of buying a Chapman in any form? I'm curious.
    The company Facebook has 65,000+ likes, over 24,000 watched the unveil video on Facebook.  This forum is a lot smaller than those numbers, and dare I say it a different demographic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Here you go, over 95,000 views at the time of posting.

Over 50,000 views of this one.

• I understand that is a signifcant amount of people, but I've watched countless videos for guitars online, by main stores, and I VERY rarely buy what I see...I always see what the new Andertons videos are, but I've not bought from them in a long time.
  • Right but not every enquiry means a sale.  Same in any line of business.
  • And as noted earlier - the purpose of these might not entirely be the sales of the British Standards, it could be to elevate the perception of the brand as a whole.

So you could expect in the next Chapman refresh 'here are some things we learned from making the British Standard guitars and we're applying them to the regular Chapman line'..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Boss did exactly that with the Waza amp to the Katana.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    FYI, the power of the Monkey Lord grows stronger with  every reply to this thread. :#  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, true, but Boss are a huge huge company, with a well known branding, and usually, extremely high quality.
  • It might not be immediately obvious but I catch on to any salesman speak straight away. I am very cynical; I very much doubt anyone could sell me anything unless I went in there wanting it in the first place.