What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31692
    sweepy said:
    Take an Oasis/ Beatles song book, you’ll be fine
    This. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    If you are reasonably good then three weeks is loads of time. There are so many well known songs that can be learnt in minutes...Now, they may well be songs by artists that you dislike but if the material is popular then the songs will go down well and you may also end up enjoy playing them as a result.

Also, you may be able to shred out Vai stuff at home but if you are already suffering anxiety then keep to simple tunes. Always better to play straightforward songs well than complex songs badly.

Good luck!
  • hassleham said:
    Blackbird - The Beatles

Job done.
    This! my go to song for annoying parties with a guitar!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5814
    You announce you’re being whisked off to France to be wined, dined and looked after..... and then you want sympathy. Do you see where you’ve gone wrong? ;)

There are enough great songs made up of just three chords to last you months and you might find you really like a nylon acoustic, if that’s what you find. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Wrap your hand in a bandage. Claim lots of sympathy. Get pissed. Job done
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Hey Jude and 500 miles....

they can all drunkenly sing along with the “nah nah nah’s”
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12009
    Is the guitar an acoustic: search for campfire songs
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Just play acoustic versions of Heavy Metal songs, if your audience know the songs it'll work 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As soon as you get there, lob a petrol bomb into the music room. Aim for the acoustic to make sure that lights up first.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Ffs.  My default style of vai/angus young doesn't translate well to acoustic nylon.

What am i to do?  I have 3 weeks.....

1. Play the first few seconds of "Theme from The Deer Hunter".
    2. Pretend you have dislocated your shoulder and run from the room screaming.

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7136
    go overboard on the old el vino, spout some abuse about napoleon, then take a piddle in their crappy nylon string acoustic, they won't let you near the music room again, thank me later x
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5568
    Can you sing/hold a tune? You just need something with a few chords that you can easily belt out. Stuff like Oasis/Beatles as previously mentioned would work, as would Kinks tracks like Lola or Waterloo Sunset. You don't need the fancy flourishes, just the chords will do if you're singing.

There's been a couple of threads about song choices, search for acoustic songs or open mic songs. 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Anyway, here's Wonderwall.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4999
    Everyone knows songs by The Eagles. Strum Lyin Eyes, Peaceful Easy Feelin, Tequila Sunrise and you will be fine. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Wish you were here is a good shout, to be honest!  
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Ok so I've played guitar for 30yrs now, am reasonably good.  But recently I've been invited on a "management business trip to france" to a private farmhouse  to plan strategy and drink wine.  All fine you say.... but... the owner says "Oh and don't worry we have a music room with a guitar..."

Great.  So as well as being at the top of my professional game,  and trying not to get wasted on free French wine,  i may get called upon to " play us a tune" by my drunken superiors. 

Ffs.  My default style of vai/angus young doesn't translate well to acoustic nylon.

What am i to do?  I have 3 weeks.....

Anything complicated won’t be appreciated so dare I say wonderwall 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12438
    The general advice here is bang on, blues solos impresses guitar players rather than joe public, bash out wonderwall, paint it black, thats entertainment, use somebody etc they'll think your amazing.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    If you really want to show off a bit, play 'The Sailors Hornpipe' by Mike Oldifeld (it's in G) and get them to clap along with it.

It'll be the most intense game of "Keepy Uppy" you ever played.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    They're French. They won't know anything about music.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7136
    Sassafras said:
    They're French. They won't know anything about music.
    Don't mind a bit of Jean Michel Jar now and again, although admittedly attempting Oxygène parte deux on a nylon acoustic and an accordion might be a bit of a stretch 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!