Ultimate anxiety

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Business, managements, trips, days away from home in France, and not promising to be an electric guitar the other end... 

Its these very rare occasions I feel lucky to be an unemployable fuck up. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    skunkwerx said:
    Business, managements, trips, days away from home in France, and not promising to be an electric guitar the other end... 

Its these very rare occasions I feel lucky to be an unemployable fuck up. 
    Amen brother.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8800
    There will be internet access, so you can download the chords for any singalong song that anyone asks for. All you need on top of that is one piece which you can play fingerstyle while they’re discussing what to sing. It’s unlikely that anyone will want to listen to it, but it will show that you know what you’re doing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2004
    I would go for Roundabout by YES
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    I learned the first few bars of "Classical Gas" just for occasions such as these.  It never fails to impress.

But I agree the strategy should be "I'll only play if you sing along" then learn a few tunes that everyone knows, The Proclaimers is a good shout, we used to do the Elvis song "The Wonder of You" which always got everyone singing the la la la bits between the verses, "Stand by me" is an easy one to learn, "Brown Eyed Girl" is another you can sing along to without knowing the words and I would definitely swallow your pride about Wonderwall because everyone sings along to it after a few drinks.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4677
    Just stick to nice simple songs and impress them all, Wish you were here, good riddance, Redemption Song, that kind of thing that’s nice and easy to play after many gallons of free wine 
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Do some tapping. Muggles love that!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited January 2018
    tune it to open G and just play up and down the neck with one finger... is difficult to not dig out a well known oldie...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Ok so I've played guitar for 30yrs now, am reasonably good.  But recently I've been invited on a "management business trip to france" to a private farmhouse  to plan strategy and drink wine.  All fine you say.... but... the owner says "Oh and don't worry we have a music room with a guitar..."

Great.  So as well as being at the top of my professional game,  and trying not to get wasted on free French wine,  i may get called upon to " play us a tune" by my drunken superiors. 

Ffs.  My default style of vai/angus young doesn't translate well to acoustic nylon.

What am i to do?  I have 3 weeks.....

Buy/Borrow an acoustic guitar, not only will it prepare you better for this 'retreat/business trip' ... it'll also probably help out your guitar playing/muscle memory.
    3 weeks, if you got an acoustic in today; Is plenty of time to acquaint yourself with this type of guitar.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4145
    I do have an acoustic.  In fact, I have an Ibanez Euphoria EP9.  So i really ought to have somethign up my sleeve.  I just like looking at it hanging on the wall though, it's so pretty.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12462
    You could bluff it and talk about how your guitars were all hand carved from one piece of an ancient tree on a particular mountain, and then spit on their guitar and say "I will not soil my fingers on this I am an artist" and flounce out...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    edited January 2018
    Can you sing at all? - if so, keep it simple:

House of the rising sun
    My sweet lord
    Stairway to heaven (ex lead ending)
    Any simple blues song (esp if you can finger pick/improvise) eg crossroads, steady rolling man

Of course the music room might even have amps and an electric!  Have you asked him?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I do have an acoustic.  In fact, I have an Ibanez Euphoria EP9.  So i really ought to have somethign up my sleeve.  I just like looking at it hanging on the wall though, it's so pretty.

Get them all high and ask them to stare at the tree of life until they *think* they can see it move .