Fretboard Jam - South Edition

What's Hot

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1606
    poopot said:

...... I’m going to pop down to water rats tomorrow anyway just to have a nose.

I know Kim who runs Water Rats.  I've not been but have chatted to him about it.  I know he's got good well equipped rooms, looks after the kit properly, does recording etc.  I'm looking for a venue to crank up a couple of homemade amps to gig level and he suggested coming round.  I'm in Tunbridge Wells so little bit of a treck over to there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6932
    Well done @poopot - let’s chat on PM and sort something out.

Everyone else - who fancies a southern Jam sometime around May-ish?
    I’d be up for it if it’s woking/leatherhead area and not the half term/ bank holiday weekend.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27715
    1.  Find a suitable location.
    2.  Find out when it's free
    3.  Avoid the obvious "difficult dates" (half-term, bank hol)
    4.  Pick a date.
    5.  Announce it and ask people to sign up.

If 5 comes before any of 1-4 you'll get a load of "I'd be interested, but only if its [insert location]" and "love to come, but can't do [this date], [that date], [another date]".

Which just gets confusing ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2802
    Excellent idea :)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    springhead said:

I know Kim who runs Water Rats.  I've not been but have chatted to him about it.  I know he's got good well equipped rooms, looks after the kit properly, does recording etc.  I'm looking for a venue to crank up a couple of homemade amps to gig level and he suggested coming round.  I'm in Tunbridge Wells so little bit of a treck over to there.

Is it the same lot that used to run water rats on the island in the thanes in Hampton?

that was alway fun getting gear across by rowing boat when the little truck broke down!
    TTony said:
    1.  Find a suitable location.
    2.  Find out when it's free
    3.  Avoid the obvious "difficult dates" (half-term, bank hol)
    4.  Pick a date.
    5.  Announce it and ask people to sign up.

If 5 comes before any of 1-4 you'll get a load of "I'd be interested, but only if its [insert location]" and "love to come, but can't do [this date], [that date], [another date]".

Which just gets confusing ...
    Im on it!... Will scope out the Woking place tomorrow and revert back ASAP.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1606
    poopot said:
    springhead said:

Is it the same lot that used to run water rats on the island in the thanes in Hampton?

that was alway fun getting gear across by rowing boat when the little truck broke down!
    I don't think that was him but I'll ask when I next see him - although you're going tomorrow so might see him before I do!  He's not there every day, think his wife is.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3078
    I am up for attending, but coming from the IOW would need parking.....I work some weekends so that could pee on my bonfire! 
    Crapping it already!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6932
    poopot said:
    springhead said:

I don't think that was him but I'll ask when I next see him - although you're going tomorrow so might see him before I do!  He's not there every day, think his wife is.

Just had a thought- there’s the Dave Gilmour owned recording houseboat moored at Hampton- anyone have a good contact  ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    mrkb said:
    poopot said:
    springhead said:

Just had a thought- there’s the Dave Gilmour owned recording houseboat moored at Hampton- anyone have a good contact  ;)
    I do have a contact... ish... but I suspect it would be more than a tenner a head....

Maybe we could get @Gassage to sub it for us ;)
  • Theres a lot of good jam nights across southampton, chichester and brighton that all have good quality house bands with nice gear they let people use - or is this a different kind of thing?
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    Theres a lot of good jam nights across southampton, chichester and brighton that all have good quality house bands with nice gear they let people use - or is this a different kind of thing?
    Yeah, quite different - more like a Fretboard social with the emphasis on playing together. 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    @Bridgehouse I think the one thing I've learnt from yesterday is how time consuming (and therefore expensive) recording is / should be. We've dropped lucky with Bob, and he's making a pittance on the day when consider the hours he's putting in on post production as well as his time in the booth on the day.

I guess what I'm saying, is that £8 was very cheap when adding recording to the jam process. It's worth a lot more when you get pro level recordings at the end of the event. So I guess decide what's the priority; price or output. If you keep it as just a jam then room is all you need to consider but if people want more I think it's reasonable to increase the price per head. An opinion born out by the number of attendees from yesterday who've asked me for Bob's PayPal details to bump him up a bit. They clearly feel that it's worth more than they paid. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:

What? This one? :)

http://a68.tinypic.com/2j2yw5j.jpg

Just round the the corner from me, this was taken on a Sunday walk... he’s never there and there is a car park on this side of the river!... a mate has a boat we could use... I’m game :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28757
    Water Rat isn't far from me. I can bring assorted useful stuff.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    @Bridgehouse I think the one thing I've learnt from yesterday is how time consuming (and therefore expensive) recording is / should be. We've dropped lucky with Bob, and he's making a pittance on the day when consider the hours he's putting in on post production as well as his time in the booth on the day.

I guess what I'm saying, is that £8 was very cheap when adding recording to the jam process. It's worth a lot more when you get pro level recordings at the end of the event. So I guess decide what's the priority; price or output. If you keep it as just a jam then room is all you need to consider but if people want more I think it's reasonable to increase the price per head. An opinion born out by the number of attendees from yesterday who've asked me for Bob's PayPal details to bump him up a bit. They clearly feel that it's worth more than they paid. 
    A valid point. I personally am not so bothered about my half-arsed strums to be committed to tape. I'm all about the craic. However, I'm also willing to pay much more than £8 to have a time that's good. Shee-it - £8 doesn't even get you 2 pints of decent IPA nowadays. 

So basically, I'm up for whatever. If it's not near me, I'll stay over somewhere nearby. I WILL want/need a beer. 

As as mentioned above, I'm also more than willing to help out on the whole project - finding, booking, liaising - whatevs. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

McToot said:

A valid point. I personally am not so bothered about my half-arsed strums to be committed to tape. I'm all about the craic. However, I'm also willing to pay much more than £8 to have a time that's good. Shee-it - £8 doesn't even get you 2 pints of decent IPA nowadays. 

So basically, I'm up for whatever. If it's not near me, I'll stay over somewhere nearby. I WILL want/need a beer. 

As as mentioned above, I'm also more than willing to help out on the whole project - finding, booking, liaising - whatevs. 
    Lets see what @poopot finds out this week - and maybe we can have a group PM later in the week to gauge findings and split up the organising..?
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    ^^ sounds good to me. My only concern is timing. I have to be in india for work for a week in May (date TBD); would be gutted if this coincides. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27715
    McToot said:
    I have to be in india for work for a week in May 
    :(
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    McToot said:
    ^^ sounds good to me. My only concern is timing. I have to be in india for work for a week in May (date TBD); would be gutted if this coincides. 
    If you’re organising then we can work around it - as @TTony said earlier tho, we need to pick a location and date to get it going