Upgrades to a very cheap guitar suggestions ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Vanson's pickups are SUPERB. I have a PAF-alike humbucker in one of my partcaster Teles with an A2 magnet that cost less than £20 new... delivered.

I'd look into replacing the pots and switch too - its not expensive to do but makes a world of difference to the sound and feel of the guitar.

Cheap aftermarket parts are a lot better than they used to be!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    Looking at costs i can get a pair of new Wilkinson HB pups for around £30, Vanson HB"s seem to be a similar price.
    Tuners looks like I can get an acceptable set for around £15. 
    Pots can be had for around £3 each from what a member has posted & 3 way switch around the same.
    From the above it would seem that for around £60 I can transform the guitar.
    OK tonally it is never going to compete with an expensive Gibson but I would imagine that it would be on a par with some of the Epi offerings whilst only owing me £85 ?
    Also it is a cheap platform for me to learn on.
    I have just been offered a pair of Epiphone "black bobbin"  HB"s FOC.
    They must surely be better than what is in the guitar at present ?
    I have decided that I am going to go ahead & swap out the tuners, pups & pots & see what improvements it makes.
    First job is to remove that hardware & see what length pots & diameter tuners I need I think.
    Pups are standard 50mm & 52 mm.
    UPDATE:

Yesterday the Epiphone HB pups, courtesy of Rocker, arrived plus a set of Vanson (stamped Wilkinson) E-Z-Lok tuners, 4 x 500k Alpha Log pots, 3 way toggle switch & 2 x 0.047 capacitors.
    I also received a pair of Vanson 59 Alnico V PAF HB"s which I had ordered as I wasn"t sure that I was getting the Epiphone pups.
    I spent the day installing all the new parts including making up a new wiring harness.
    I fitted the Epiphone pups.
    I am very pleased with the results.
    The guitar now stays in tune, sounds much better & the tone pots now work as they should.
    Now I have seen how easy it is to swap parts I think I will try the Vanson pups in it as well to see how they sound compared to the Epiphone pups.
    Thanks for every ones advice & suggestions & special thanks to "Rocker" for the Epi pups..
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I love it when a plan comes together.
    Just removed the Epiphone pups & fitted the Vanson 59 Alnico V PAF HB"s.
    Wow.
    The Epi pups were a significant improvement on the pups the guitar came with but these Vanson pups are even better.
    The guitar sounds great & I am very happy with the sound from these Vansons  =)
    The guitar owes me just under £100 now but to hear it you wouldn"t think it was a £25 guitar with £70 odd of upgrades.
    I"m borrowing an Epi LP Custom this evening so will see what it sounds like compared to that.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    baldy said:
    Just removed the Epiphone pups & fitted the Vanson 59 Alnico V PAF HB"s.
    Wow.
    The Epi pups were a significant improvement on the pups the guitar came with but these Vanson pups are even better.
    The guitar sounds great & I am very happy with the sound from these Vansons  =)
    The guitar owes me just under £100 now but to hear it you wouldn"t think it was a £25 guitar with £70 odd of upgrades.
    I"m borrowing an Epi LP Custom this evening so will see what it sounds like compared to that.
    Those Vanson pickups are probably the biggest bargain currently in the guitar world... they are seriously good for the cash and hold their own against some very expensive 'boutique' alternatives...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Thanks for the advice impmann  =)