Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Gibson clear up debt with new Henry..

18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Same or similar set up, different CEO is probably the best outcome I reckon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    I don't doubt he has a few quid stashed away, and he just turned 65. Between that and having pretty much reached the end of his road with Gibson, I'd say it was time for a gold watch, pipe and slippers.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    Where do I apply? I'd love a crack at doing the McCarty years all over again.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2386

Man that sucks.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

"with two former Harvard classmates (David Berryman and Gary Zebrowski), acquired Phi Technologies of Oklahoma City. Within one month he turned the struggling technology firm into a highly profitable company."

"Juszkiewicz's aggressive management style again effected an immediate turnaround, and Gibson became profitable within a month's time. "

"he drove Gibson from the brink of closing to a company that has regained worldwide respect with annual average growth of 20 percent over the last decade. "

Sounds incredible doesn't it? Particularly in the light of Gibson's existing woes.

• Best thing that could happen is firing his arse out the door. He’s killed the brand on an ego trip 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Positive move if true.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    Strat54 said:

Man that sucks.....
    I'm thinking about selling my vacuum cleaner. It's just sitting around collecting dust.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6137
    I'd vote for you @mudslide73 ; :+1: 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    So, what would you do?

FWIW I would
    1. capitalise on what's left of the company's reputation for classic guitar designs, sort out the QC, and make sure the respected designs are delivered with consistent quality at a tolerable price
    2. reduce the number of variants of each design
    3. offer such inventions as robo-tuning as options on stock designs
    4. research the market's receptivity to new designs before committing resources to making them
    5. concentrate on guitars and forget buying other companies just to make Gibson look bigger

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    octatonic said:
    Positive move if true.
    It literally can't be bad. All they need is to get someone who understands guitars in charge of product, someone who understands modern marketing in charge of marketing and someone who understands business in charge of not leveraging up the wazoo to buy too many nice brands that aren't profitable enough!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Its sad that Henry will be remembered by many as the man who ruined Gibson - whereas a few years ago, if he'd walked away he would have been the man that saved them.
    I've said it before, but he did turn things around - and the quality went through the roof when he first took over (then again, some would argue that it was in the toilet prior to that). He made them profitable - but messed up in recent times... although I'm not convinced its just of his doing, as there will be a team of people that he is just the figure head of.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Henry, just a figurehead? Where did you get that idea?  He's the CEO?  

Sure there's a team, probably lots of teams, but stuff doesn't happen without his steer in that direction in the first place, and then his sign off.  

It's his vision of diversity and "innovation" that led Gibson by the nose to where it is now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3399
    So, what would you do?

FWIW I would
    1. capitalise on what's left of the company's reputation for classic guitar designs, sort out the QC, and make sure the respected designs are delivered with consistent quality at a tolerable price
    2. reduce the number of variants of each design
    3. offer such inventions as robo-tuning as options on stock designs
    4. research the market's receptivity to new designs before committing resources to making them
    5. concentrate on guitars and forget buying other companies just to make Gibson look bigger

6. Stop trying to sell Gibsons for 10x the price of the equivalent Epiphone

Squier Affinity £200
    Squier classic vibe £480
    Fender MIM £750
    Fender American £1400

Epi Les Paul Studio £300
    Epi Les Paul Std £500
    Gibson Les Paul Studio £1300
    Gibson Les Paul Std £2000

See how out of whack the Gibson's look?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    If you believe the rumours on management turnover, Henry had a new team every week!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @NelsonP ; that looks around 4x the price. compared to Fender's 3x. I think that's tolerable.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26626
    NelsonP said:
    From his biography:

"with two former Harvard classmates (David Berryman and Gary Zebrowski), acquired Phi Technologies of Oklahoma City. Within one month he turned the struggling technology firm into a highly profitable company."

"Juszkiewicz's aggressive management style again effected an immediate turnaround, and Gibson became profitable within a month's time. "

"he drove Gibson from the brink of closing to a company that has regained worldwide respect with annual average growth of 20 percent over the last decade. "

Sounds incredible doesn't it? Particularly in the light of Gibson's existing woes.

Given that it's basically impossible to turn a company's finances round in that short a timeframe, all any of that tells me is that he got lucky with seasonal spending habits in the first month of his employment each time.
    <space for hire>