£11k PRS Private Stock nicked from Peach Guitars - should be tough to shift, keep your eyes open...

What's Hot

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Pass me the popcorn ...
  • I’m heading straight to my local Cash Converters....

In all seriousness this is awful and I can’t imagine what Peach are going through. I also didn’t realise PRS’s could go up to £11k... I need me a doctors salary.

Random thought but at that kind of price point why don’t guitar manufacturers microchip their guitars? An RFID microchip is inexpensive and very small and could easily be concealed somewhere where it wouldn’t affect the guitar whatsoever and purists can go f***.... and the transfer of details on the chip would just be another ‘prestigious’ part of the ownership paperwork... my Les Paul was microchipped by a previous owner (still can’t find where as I understand the chip is the size of a grain of rice). I never understood why, but if it was an £11k guitar and not a £900 one I would. If manufacturers microchipped every guitar over £1k then it would eventually end the theft/cash converters cycle. The only guitars you could guarantee weren’t chipped would be cheap ones like squires that you wouldn’t steal anyway as it wouldn’t be worth the heat.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited March 2018
    Ken Dodd's out of hospital after recovering from a chest infection - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5437947/Sir-Ken-Dodd-leaving-hospital-recovering-chest-infection.html

Edit: comment made before threads merged.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    I heard a rumour the Japanese have surrendered as well. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    It’s true that these days with guitars in the upper price point it makes no sense financially not to use RFID at manufacture and embed and epoxy one in to the build.

although with something like this private stock it must be going over seas doubt you could move it on gumtree or eBay. even if it was refinished people struggle to sell 2nd hand private stock at half the retail price.

i think the concerning thing despite adequate CCTV footage and national press coverage and a load of stuff stolen of high end musical instruments these two will have left the country before our illustrious boys in blue have got there stuff together.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    Isn’t RFID limited to a very short range? How would it help exactly? Gibson does put RFID chips in at the factory as I understand it, but they use them to verify whether an instrument is counterfeit or not if it ever turns up for warranty service. 

GPS would be better - and there are 3rd party companies doing that. I presume it’s expensive though...
  • Whitecat said:
    Isn’t RFID limited to a very short range? How would it help exactly? Gibson does put RFID chips in at the factory as I understand it, but they use them to verify whether an instrument is counterfeit or not if it ever turns up for warranty service. 

GPS would be better - and there are 3rd party companies doing that. I presume it’s expensive though...
    It would help because places that deal with buying and selling second hand gear could scan the chip to verify ownership details. Or even without the ability to scan, knowing that say, for example, all 2019 PRS's had RFID chips, if someone tries to sell one and doesn't have the paperwork to prove the chip is registered to them then you could refuse to take it in. It's not a flawless system but more widespread use could help reduce cases like this (but probably not this as it'll go overseas). and RFID because it's cheap as chips to implement.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Whitecat said:

Tags are, but there are other similar retailer solutions
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    Whitecat said:

It would help because places that deal with buying and selling second hand gear could scan the chip to verify ownership details. Or even without the ability to scan, knowing that say, for example, all 2019 PRS's had RFID chips, if someone tries to sell one and doesn't have the paperwork to prove the chip is registered to them then you could refuse to take it in. It's not a flawless system but more widespread use could help reduce cases like this (but probably not this as it'll go overseas). and RFID because it's cheap as chips to implement.
    Kinda makes sense but a centralised database of serial numbers would be just as effective. If you're talking about solid-colour Fenders with easily falsifiable details then absolutely it would need checking, but on an item like this which stands out a mile away it's gonna be pretty clear via a Google search what they've got...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    I do sympathise with Peach on the theft of this guitar from their shop. And sympathies to others who lost guitars in a similar manner. I do not care for the implied pressure to Wis! someone's comment about posters commenting otherwise I may be called a prick. If I am called that, well so be it. No problem, I have been called worse.

However taking a broader view, valuable things get stolen all the time. Cars and 4WDs are frequently stolen, dismantled and the parts sold. Same with tractors and farm machinery. Cattle and livestock are stolen, worse slaughtered in the field and the top meat cuts taken with the rest of the carcass left in the field. Dogs, especially hunting dogs, are targets for thieves. Even harmless donkeys are not safe in their paddock - they are stolen for breeding purposes.

As bad as that sounds, elderly people living in rural areas are tied to chairs while their house is ransacked - the thieves looking for money and jewellery. They are often left tied up while the thieves vanish. Sadly some have died still tied to the chair.

All I have described, apart from the death of an old person, has happened within an area of 15 Km from where I live. It is happening all the time.

So while the theft of a valuable guitar has a serious effect on the shop or owner, that theft must be looked at in context. No physical violence was used. Nobody got hurt apart from financially. The guitar might be recovered in the future. As I said, I sympathise with the shop on their loss but we must keep some semblance of balance in our views about that theft. After all it is only a guitar that was taken...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4261

In all seriousness this is awful and I can’t imagine what Peach are going through.
    Agree with Rocker on this. Stuff like the above comment is all a bit dramatic isn't it? It's not nice and the people are scumbags, but they have just had a guitar nicked, there is no emotional attachment, and they are insured.

So you don't need to imagine any longer 'what Peach are going through', it is an insurance claim form.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    What a funny  lot some of you people are...........all these comments about the ethnic appearance of the perpetrator as if the newspaper and various comments such as mine are some kind of veiled racism.It's not an opinion ;it's a matter of fact Prima Face evident...........it's even called EVIDENCE.
     Incredible as it may seem; the physical appearance/ ethnicity of the thief does tend to be quite intrinsic in finding/ catching them or possibly known fences that the goods will end up with. i.e. If the perpetrator was obviously Muslim you wouldn't be looking for them in or around the local Synagogue!
    The newspaper describes the woman as Asian appearance .......would it be more helpful if they described her as typically Scandinavian?
    As it happens they are half right ........she is most likely Roma ( the Roma people originated from a city in NW India called Sin ;they were persecuted during the Mughal conquest under Shah Jahan and many fled to Europe .)
    Not all Roma come from Romania as people assume; some of the largest communities are in Hungary and France but obviously also in Spain where they speak Calo and the Flamenco tradition grew up .Whether they are E European Roma or Spanish Gitanos the derivative ancestry is the same although those in Spain had a diaspora via Arabia and brought a lot of Levantine acquired tradition/ music and culture with them.
    I have a Romanian sister-in-law,Romanian friends and have lived in Timisoara and Kluj -Napoca very close to a Roma community in the latter case .Generally the Romanian people are exceptionally welcoming and typically Latin in their hospitality  The Roma communities are not well regarded there on account of certain behavioural issues and you would certainly cause great offence to a Romanian if you associated them with a community that they despise ; this is where popular press fail to draw distinction misconceivingly tarring all with the same brush.
     How the Brexit thing even gets drawn into this by some is beyond me ........somebody commentated " I bet you are looking forward to your blue passport " ; Err No; I'm not British ......I'm half Lithuanian /half Spanish educated in an English boarding school from the age of 7  and naturally pro European.
     Being a trans- European mongrel and also Jewish (not an Anglo Saxon bone here ) I applaud the anti -racist vigilance which is quaintly well intentioned but I think there is a bit of confusion in the difference between racism and trying to identify a criminal by their ethnic appearance, ergo their potentially known associates, communities and other sources that may provide clues to locating the goods or the criminals themselves .....after all said and done the resources of the Police are stretched and I'm fairly certain that any time spent keeping an eye out on a very British ,dodgy East-End boozer would be completely off-target in this case.
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • shefguitarshefguitar Frets: 206
    The Daily Mail giving front page coverage to an incidence of shoplifting is politically motivated. There is an agenda there which is obvious to anyone who is not an ignorant fool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNine said:

In all seriousness this is awful and I can’t imagine what Peach are going through.
    Agree with Rocker on this. Stuff like the above comment is all a bit dramatic isn't it? It's not nice and the people are scumbags, but they have just had a guitar nicked, there is no emotional attachment, and they are insured.

So you don't need to imagine any longer 'what Peach are going through', it is an insurance claim form.
    Well its quite a big insurance claim that will put their premium up by claiming and won't cover the profit margin they were expecting from the sale. It could certainly worry a smaller business. If I owned a business of any sort I think something like this would emotionally affect me to some degree, it would feel personal.

However you've assumed I meant an emotional attachment but rather instead the hassle of having to work with the police, give statements, have their staff asked questions by the police, having to make videos to appeal, having to offer the £1k reward which is huge, all of which is taking time away from selling guitars. If you've ever been involved in anything criminal the whole process is not nice, regardless of whether it emotionally affects you or not.

So no I don't think it's 'a bit dramatic' to show some human compassion. Try it sometime

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    yes, maybe, have to say there must be a thousand big shoplifting stories everyday
    Mind you , they give headline coverage to fact that some moronic Kardashian has changed their hair from black to blonde !
    ( is it 'cos they are of Armenian descent ?)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    The Daily Mail giving front page coverage to an incidence of shoplifting is politically motivated. There is an agenda there which is obvious to anyone who is not an ignorant fool.
    Who cares what the Daily Mail says? Its not a credible news source and ANYTHING that gets onto the front cover has a political motive.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    @Dominic ; Look at what you wrote and your worldview and take a moment to think about what you're doing wrong. 
    What a funny  lot some of you people are...........all these comments about the ethnic appearance of the perpetrator as if the newspaper and various comments such as mine are some kind of veiled racism.It's not an opinion ;it's a matter of fact Prima Face evident...........it's even called EVIDENCE.

Don't use words you don't understand.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Not following you there old chap.........seems contrary for the sake of being contrary
    Never mind.........Anyway,who knows where to catch the fish?.....all too ethereal for a simpleton like me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Whitecat said:

Anyone who buys an £11k PRS with a known hot serial number and no case for a lot less than the going rate is not remotely interested in verifying ownership details, they are knowingly buying a stolen guitar. 

I see what you're saying and can see it might help a bit under some circumstances, but the buyers are not legitimate businesses who give a shit about provenance. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.