Ivison Guitars - Build and Repair Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:
    @ivisonguitars Sorry if this is a daft question but just interested. How do you re flow lacquer?
    Not daft at all, a quality nitro thinners does the job but it's a slow process as the old stuff is pretty tough.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
    So do you kind of wipe it on and spread it to cover the repair? (Top work btw)
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader

As an example, I took the neck P90 out of the guitar documented below to check that there wasn't further damage inside:

Lovely work Neil as always.

I don't think I've ever seen a DC Special before with the neck joining the body at the 22nd fret. Usually the neck join is at the end of the fretboard isn't it? Could this be a transition model before the pickup relocation?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

As an example, I took the neck P90 out of the guitar documented below to check that there wasn't further damage inside:

Lovely work Neil as always.

I don't think I've ever seen a DC Special before with the neck joining the body at the 22nd fret. Usually the neck join is at the end of the fretboard isn't it? Could this be a transition model before the pickup relocation?
    Thanks Steve, much appreciated!

And yes, you're right, the first '59 DC's joined at the end of the fretboard like the DC Juniors do, this one still has the 'Les Paul Special' silk screen on the headstock too though, so i'm wondering if, as you say this was a batch of transitional models and was one of the last to get the neck P90 in the 'old' location because, as you know, by '60 the fretboard extended over the body like we see here.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Just out of interest with the neck crack do you use a thin wicking type super glue or just normal wood glue hot hide fish bones etc.

or if trade secret say nothing just interested
    tFB Trader
    A '59 DC TV Yellow with black guard in NOS finish shipping out to Mike today...

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Perfect!
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    sawyer said:
    Perfect!
    Thanks @Sawyer!

I've been working on a custom order today, this one is going to be Matt Black Relic, powered by a Gibson '57 Classic Plus humbucker, aged hardware, celluloid guard and black top hat knobs....while I was laying down the black, the traditionalist in me recoiled while the luthier in me said "OH YEAH"!!! 

I think i'm going to have to do one for myself too....

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22793
    IvisonGuitars said:
    I've been working on a custom order today, this one is going to be Matt Black Relic, powered by a Gibson '57 Classic Plus humbucker, aged hardware, celluloid guard and black top hat knobs....while I was laying down the black, the traditionalist in me recoiled while the luthier in me said "OH YEAH"!!! 

Black and a humbucker?  Sounds good to me.
    tFB Trader
    Hi all, Plenty going on here at the minute, some builds in progress plus i've had a couple of nice vintage guitars in for refrets and set ups.

This '61 SG Special came in for a refret, but first needed the truss rod freed off...

An old friend returned for a little fretwork too - this was the '59 DC I took the measurements and neck profile from for my own DC builds:

And then, in conjunction with my pal @rexter, a conversion job on a vintage Greco....the right way around IMO too...Tune-o-Matic to Wrap Tail!

First we plug the old holes...

Sand them flat...

Drill and insert the bushes,

String up and test!

Then it was shipped back to Jon who's going to finish it in aged goldtop using the proper vintage bronze powders. Really looking forward to seeing this one completed.

I also happened across some BEAUTIFUL straight grained Indian Rosewood recently (check out the colour!) which I'm currently turning into fretboards for upcoming orders...

That's it for now :) 

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^ - some nice boards there - I like the 2nd from the bottom ( 'A string' if you imagine those necks as 4 strings on a bass )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^ - some nice boards there - I like the 2nd from the bottom ( 'A string' if you imagine those necks as 4 strings on a bass )
    Yeah, the two middle ones are my favs :) 
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    Just finishing up 2 '59 DC bodies, both are exact vintage spec routes and roundovers. Just imaging that 'Cathedral' grain under Cherry Red nitro..... :D <3

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22793
    Wow.  I should know this, but do the '59 bodies have a bigger edge radius than the '58 ones?
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Wow.  I should know this, but do the '59 bodies have a bigger edge radius than the '58 ones?
    Yes, the first DC's had the same radius as the Single Cut's but by early '59 they had been given a much gentler, more comfy roundover :) 
    (formerly miserneil)
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    Didn't expect to see pics of my old Greco here but just want to say in public how pleased I am with the brilliant job Neil has done on this guitar. Is being sprayed with the gold powders today by Rexter Guitars and needless to say I am quite excited to see the finished product. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    hoops said:
    Didn't expect to see pics of my old Greco here but just want to say in public how pleased I am with the brilliant job Neil has done on this guitar. Is being sprayed with the gold powders today by Rexter Guitars and needless to say I am quite excited to see the finished product. 
    show us pics when done - Will it be aged or 'perfect' - Will be interesting to see the 'shade' of gold top when done 
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    I'm guilty of absenteeism here lately, so as a start to rehabilitating myself to life in TFB society I seem to have been given a green light to spam this thread  =) Hope you don't mind Neil?

Before I do, like Clive said, Neil did a great job on this and is of course THE MAN. Also thanks to a couple of other fretboard legends @SteveRobinson who was kind enough to send me these Crescent Bronze powders gratis last year - thanks Steve! - and painting genius @Lamf37 who has hipped me to a future supplier. Thanks everyone.

If it seems like I'm moving quickly on this one today don't be fooled. Clive would be well within his rights to curse me as it's taken a good few months to get to this point. I'm sorting my life out now! :#

After 2 coats of Cres Bronze 256 mixed into my nitro binder and binding scraped: (excuse mess)

As it is now after one clear coat and a bit of subtle tint to blend in the freshly-scraped binding

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Oh my god I love it
    tFB Trader
    Spam away my man, spam away!! :D  <3 <3
    (formerly miserneil)