Ivison Guitars - Build and Repair Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    @MtB @roberty @LastMantra @Winny_Pooh @Teyeplayer Thanks so much for the kind words chaps, your support really does mean a great deal!

Here's a shot of the gold in the sunlight yesterday, shows off the colour and scratch plate a bit better. Jon really nailed this, i'm so chuffed!

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    Like all your builds but the Hurricanes - Wow!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Lusting after that gold hurricane! Please get some more pics done so that i can truly torture myself lol
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    One of your guitars popped up on my Instagram feed and I recognised your name from here from when you started doing the Juniors. Some amazing looking guitars, especially that gold hurricane!
    edited March 2020 tFB Trader
    @hoops @mburekenge @pickerg Thanks chaps, much appreciated! I'm so proud of The Hurricane, it's been the culmination of a lot of hard graft and I have some exciting things coming up.

In the process of updating the website, here's another shot of The Hurricane that really shows the depth of the gold:

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    Fantastic work on the Hurricanes, really beautiful.  Scratch plate is just right, design and material.  Love to play one.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    edited June 2020 tFB Trader
    Hello chaps! It's been a while since I signed in here, hope everyone is safe and well?

It's been so busy here since lockdown (and i'm certainly not complaining!) with a large order of guitars plus lots of customer work being couriered in and out so forum time had to be curtailed for a while. Apologies to those who sent PM's or tagged me in posts that I haven't replied to, I will attempt to rectify asap!

Anyway, the first couple of months of lockdown were spent getting this batch of guitars done, 2 private commissions, a Spitfire, a semi-hollow oversize Hurricane and 3 Fillmore's for stock at my new UK dealer @ATB_Guitars:

A Piano Black DC for Tony:

A little fettle of a KILLER '63 Strat...

And while I was waiting on parts last week I was able to get on with a couple of my own jobs that had been patiently waiting in the wings. First was a refret on my '56 TV Model - replacing the literal train tracks (originals on right of the picture) it had before with my preferred Jescar 45100 wire:

And later in the week I decided to give my 2002 LP Standard a little makeover....

I had it refinished about 8 years ago and was never really happy with it, so stripped it, I re-carved the top so it had a little more of a vintage shape - it's not 'vintage correct' (not everything has to be.... ;) )but it now has the dish of a '57 Goldtop that i'm very familiar with and the classic 50's re-curve - I didn't want to get all cork sniffer about it, just give it a little more shape and finesse. It's also a top only refin - I had this guitar for my 21st birthday and toured with it for 10 years so there's a lot of history in those dings and scars on the back and I didn't want to erase that.

And after a yellow base, my own aniline cherry mix and some help from mother nature, we're here:

I also went for the vintage style 'parts shadows' for a bit of fun!

It's currently gassing off then i'll wet sand and add some play wear in keeping with the rest of the guitar  

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Love these updates! Gibson looks fantastic! Are you doing the tall pickup rings and historic plastics? Black Junior looks delicious!
    tFB Trader
    sawyer said:
    Love these updates! Gibson looks fantastic! Are you doing the tall pickup rings and historic plastics? Black Junior looks delicious!
    Thanks @sawyer. Yes, I have some M69 rings to go on it and an Historic guard too :) 
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Good to see you are nice and busy Neil - Love the work/pics on the 2002 LP - I know the 'parts shadow' is a bit of fun, but it also gives you a chance to check out your own skills etc for as and when it becomes a customer request - Keep in touch and speak soon
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you Thanks Mark, hope you're keeping well, I don't manage to get here much at the moment.

Here's what i'm working on currently, my first flametop guitar, The Spitfire!

I just shot a cherry burst using aniline dyes and faded it back a touch with the help of Mother Nature and I'm just starting the clear coats. It'll have a nerd level vintage spec PAF in the bridge and a low wind P90 in the Neck. This one has already been reserved!

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    @guitars4you Thanks Mark, hope you're keeping well, I don't manage to get here much at the moment.

I just shot a cherry burst using aniline dyes and faded it back a touch with the help of Mother Nature and I'm just starting the clear coats. It'll have a nerd level vintage spec PAF in the bridge and a low wind P90 in the Neck. This one has already been reserved!

That looks absolutely stunning, wow duly awarded! 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286

Already reserved? Can't say I'm surprised!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22857
    I like that body shape!  And the control configuration.  And the top and the colour.
    tFB Trader
    Just finishing this one up today....the guitar i'm most pleased/excited about....The Spitfire :) 

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5166
    That’s the coolest thing I’ve ever seen  <3
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    edited July 2020
    looks the business, bet it sounds superb   how much are these @IvisonGuitars ?..
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22857
    Without wanting to sound dismissive of the Hurricane (it looks great), I like this one better!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    The colours and the grain on that <3 be still my beating heart
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    @tone1 @Philly_Q @roberty @mgaw ;;

Thanks for the kind words chaps! I’m really pleased with this one and it’ll now be my main shape. The pickup/hardware configurations are endless. There’s another flame top and a Goldtop ‘54 in build currently.

@mgaw This one is already sold but if you give the guys at @ATB_Guitars a call, they’ll be happy to help
    (formerly miserneil)